What makes lye relaxers better for the hair?

T

Tee

I've read that lye relaxers have a higher pH than no-lye relaxers. If that's the case, why is lye still considered to be better than no-lye for the hair?

T

Tee

Is it the calcium in no-lye relaxers that causes the dryness? If so, can the calcium be removed by one of those mineral removing shampoos (I think they're called chelating shampoos?)?

Tchutchuca

Good question. Anybody ??? Please...

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:
Is it the calcium in no-lye relaxers that causes the dryness? If so, can the calcium be removed by one of those mineral removing shampoos (I think they're called chelating shampoos?)?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure Tee.

Nacai23

Lye relaxers are more caustic because the PH is 14, like drano. People with sensitive scalps can not use lye relaxers. No lye relaxers have a lower PH, I believe it's around 11/12. Some have a PH of 9, but these are not really effective at straighting very curly/coarse hair. That's still high, but less damaging than lye. I read at FDA.gov that the best no lye relaxer tested was TCB's bone straight. Less damageing, less drying.
I think the only problem with no lye is the calcium that can build up. But, if you rinse really, really, really, really, good you shouldn't have a problem, at least I didn't. I'm natural now, but when I did relax I used mostly no lye. When I'd go to the salon, my stylist would use lye. I do remember my hair being dry, but it was dry whether I used lye or no lye. Plus, I didn't know how to care for my hair properly.
If I were to ever relax my hair again, I will definatly use no lye. Because in my experience no lye relaxers didn't burn my scalp or make my hair look "chewed up" like the lye relaxers.

Correction: My info was taken from the fda AND consumer reports.

beana3

thanks for the info nacai.. i hate to sound soo easily influenced :shy: but what you are saying makes lots of sense. I had no idea that the ph levels were diferent.. i thought whether lye or no lye they were all around 13 or 14.

Trinette

However users tend to leave the no-lye on longer causing more damage than the lye based relaxers that are typically left on for shorter time.

karezone

a decalcifying shampoo can be used to remove calcium in fact the Optimum care no lye relaxer system comes with a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo. To help remove the calcium build ups.

Tracy

Here's Andre's explanation - the best I've found so far for clarifying this point for me. From pg. 94 of his book:

"...If you want to permanently straighten your hair, sodium hydroxide [lye] is the way to go...."no-lye" relaxers are actually made of calcium hydroxide, which is a just milder form of lye. A no-lye realxer functions by dissolving the hair cuticle, but since it's "milder" it doesn't break down the hair enough to flatten the cuticle layer and give some protection to the hair shaft. It actually leaves the hair shaft wide open to all sorts of damage. People who use no-lye relaxers have processed hair that looks dull and damaged; the hair can't reflect any light because the cuticles aren't lying flat and smooth. The result? No shine hair...."

My other reading on the subject indicates that it is indeed the calcium that is the problem in no lye relaxers. The molecules are too large to rinse completely from the hair shaft after processing, and thus they remain in the cortex, causing the cuticle to remain open and leaving the cortex suseptible to environmental damage.

CrownnGlori

Wow! She said like Drano! The things we do for beauty. I have to do more research.
Hey. What brand of lye relaxers does anyone use??
Love the site Karezone.