What product or technique changed your "hair" life?

Leslie_C

AG Fast Food leave in- has become my bestie for making detangling my 23 weeks post relaxer hair, with softness and shine to boot! Im gonna go get anoter liter of it at Ulta to make sure I dont run out anytime in the near future!

claud-uk

@claud-uk. The teas are great for slowing down or stopping shed and breakage. I shed heavily and wanted more thickness/volume. It works! The teas also soften the hair like a conditioner. It's mostly about experimenting with teas and herbs and seeing what works. Some of the ladies find coffee really effective too.

The herbs I use are: burdock, nettle, and now neem tea. I just make a big pot of tea like I'm gonna drink it. For rinses, after I wash, I rinse my hair with the pot and put the DC on top, then rinse out. For spritzes, I save some in a spray bottle with a few drops of oil (grapeseed and argan mostly) and an essential oil for scent. I spray to refresh my curls throughout the week. I then seal on top of that. That's it!

Tea rinse challenge link in my siggie.

ETA: Those teas are what works on *my* hair. Others have found the plain old black tea, Earl Grey, simple green tea, chamomile, whatever they find works for *them*.

DarkJoy - you're a star!!! :yep: Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I love the thought of using more natural products in my regi, we have lots of diff. boxes of tea in the house so now I just need to do google. Please could I ask one last question? I'm really sorry :blush: Is Neem tea sold as Neem tea, or do you make some kind of infusion using the oil?

Off to see about the tea/coffee challenge!

Claud-ok If I'm wearing loose hair, I can skip the castor oil for 2-3 days after spritzing. If I'm wearing twists, I'll coat my ends 2-3x a week. I don't necessarily have to, but I do it because I'm paranoid. :lol:

NappyNelle - paranoia ain't nothing to do with it, you have a regi that you do consistently and that works for you. Don't nobody want a free ticket to Breakage City!

I'm going to start mixing castor oil with my shea butter to seal, you have inspired me! :yep:

claud-uk

AG Fast Food leave in- has become my bestie for making detangling my 23 weeks post relaxer hair, with softness and shine to boot! Im gonna go get anoter liter of it at Ulta to make sure I dont run out anytime in the near future!

:lol: - When I find sth new that I love I have to say to DH "Look, I'm gonna get a couple of these bc they have to last me the next few months till I order again..." or I say "I got two bc I think it's suitable for your hair too" LIES!!! :lol:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@DarkJoy - you're a star!!! Is Neem tea sold as Neem tea, or do you make some kind of infusion using the oil?
You can buy the neem leaves and oil at any Indian market in their hair/skin care section. I've managed to find mine at a health food store, but have seen them at the Indian market also. The oil smells like old shoes. :lol: You'd have to mix it with something to mask the odor.

LovelyNaps26

i've gone from shoulder length to near waist length since being here in 2009. i didn't get past shoulder length for the 5 years i had previously been natural.

proven methods:

protective styling.

aloe vera + leave in = moisturized hair :love3:

only detangle on wash day with hair loaded with conditioner and oil

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Wet bunning but more specifically, using grease to both seal my ends and coat the elastic before putting my wet/damp hair in a bun. My ends look/feel great and no broken hair in the elastic when I take it down at night. I'm going to try this for a while and see if this can take me to APL by the end of 2012...

winona

Doing everything(washing,dcing, styling, ect) in sections has reduced SSKs and frustration:)
Deep Conditioners because I never thought my hair could be this soft.
Leave Ins are the best thing ever.
Diluting shampoo. No more stripped feeling after washing.
Seamless combs and finger detangling=less split ends.