Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Natural Hair

Votes: 69 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 55 21.5%

• Total voters

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I used braids during my transition. I braided for about 7 months then I got fed up and big chopped. After wearing my TWA for almost 2 months, I started braiding again. I wore a sew-in for 6 weeks recently and now I'm in the wig challenge. I will be braiding again at the start of May.

I am currently shoulder length at the back and about an 1" more to SL on the sides

nodisrespect

Natural hair. I don't like braids so I doubt that will ever be part of my journey. The last time I had micros in the summer of 05 they pulled my hair out when I took them down, so never again. I like how I look with cornrows (thick like a video girl :nono::nono::lachen::lachen:) but that's not GENERALLY the look I want to present. I wore sew ins to grow out a haircut but once I moved into my apartment summer of 07, couldn't afford it anymore... but by then my hair was shoulder length, so I don't mind wearing buns and ponytails now. If I don't feel like combing my hair at all I just put a hat on. Right now the only goal I want more than APL is to grow my bangs back out.

InNeedofHairapy

1ST 4 months: rollersets
Nxt 8 months: Phony Pony
Past 4 months: falls
Current: Finger coils w/ daily cowash (May have to revise that plan b/c it's a LOT of manipulation)

Future: wash n gos/buns/braid outs for the summer and come fall/winter, I'll be rollersetting and pressing, with a last mini chop of my relaxed ends on the 2 yr anniv. of my last relaxer

~~HoneyComb~~

I'm natural, and my growing out style for fingercurls. I wore them religiously for about 2 years straight until my hair got too long to wear them with having major tangle issues.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
my growing out style was the bun. i bunned most of the time. now that im growing my hair out again im kinda at a loss of what to do because my hair is too short for a bun

KPH

House Head
my growing out style was the bun. i bunned most of the time. now that im growing my hair out again im kinda at a loss of what to do because my hair is too short for a bun

I'm there with you, getting my back saved messed me up. I mean I guess I can use aloe vera gel and use back there since it has grown a little over an inch but I need something cute and sorry, I can't do hair that's not coming from my scalp on my head. I would be stiffed neck all day thinking whatever it was would fall off.

LOL, my girlfriend lost her phony pony in Saks dressing room and the sales lady walked up to her with it in her hand asking if it belonged to her. WE ALL FELL OUT LAUGHING.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

growinstrong

I used to wear braids back in HS, but now, 10 years later, I'm rockin my natural hair (buns and pinning up) for my growing out style :yep:.

Hair Iam

Natural Hair/ twists
braiding/weaves :perplexed not because I don't like them ...its my hair , it doesn't :rolleyes:

MoMo

I used cornrows to grow my hair out of a 2-inch cut (from March - June) and bunned to grow after that.

Soliel185

The first and second time I grew out my hair I BC'd to about ear length and had my hair braided (no extensions) This past transition I wore the braids straight for 1 yr and 1/2 to 2 yrs and went from ear to shoulder semi -stretched (my braids went from ear to shoulder length), almost BSL straight.

I NEVER manipulated my hair, I co-washed or rinshed almost every day (to get my braids to act right) and I redid them one by one b/c I couldn't part :)lachen:) and didn't want to take the $$ and bother to go have it done. My only steady product was Wonder 8 oil spritz, which I sprayed onto wet hair.

sylver2

I have never worn braids or anything.
I just toughed it out and suffered thru a shaggy frizzy looking do for almost a year..lol. parted in the middle or on the side

aloof one

OTHER: I bumped my ends (like Oprah did in the 90s) from the day I got my hair cut to chin length until the day I realized I had got past my shoulders. That was when the curl would be too low to look right so I started leaving my ends straight so they would hang down after that.
I swear I curled my hair like this everyday (except it was ALL bumped under)

I kid you not that is how I got past SL.

Then I got to APL just wearing it down or in a big scrunchy and sleeping in a bandana and using Biosilk before and after I straightened my hair.

When I didn't straighten I would just fold it up in a scrunchy. I am done with little "ouchless" thin tight scrunchies, I need those big fluffy ones that don't snag the hair... that is what had my hair breakage free... in fact I think I'll rush out and get some right now:yep:

Like these:

loulou82

Month 1- 8: Phony Pony
Month 9- 10: Kinky Twists
Month 11- 12: Sew In

Who knows what I'll do once the sew in come s out... Maybe a curly phony pony :rolleyes:

NappFrizz83

1ST 4 months: rollersets
Nxt 8 months: Phony Pony
Past 4 months: falls
Current: Finger coils w/ daily cowash (May have to revise that plan b/c it's a LOT of manipulation)

Future: wash n gos/buns/braid outs for the summer and come fall/winter, I'll be rollersetting and pressing, with a last mini chop of my relaxed ends on the 2 yr anniv. of my last relaxer
OMG CUTE BABIES AWWW! they're so cute! but uhh back to the subject what are falls? lol

Aggie

I wear wigs and braids with extensions as my growing out style. Kinky twists didn't quite work out for me. It's possible that it was my fault and just simply didn't know quite how to take care of them. In any case, I like the braids wayyy better.

glamazon386

I grew my hair out from a short tapered cut to shoulder length in high school by wearing it pinned up all the time. I also got good growth from weaves in college but it wasn't enough to stop the overprocessing from the perm. Now that I'm natural I'm alternating between a lot of things. I wear a lot of wigs now with the occasional weave or braids.

myronnie

Welll when i was shoulder length i would scrunch my hair and wear it down almost everyday then i wore ponytails as my hair got longer...i looked a mess lol

glam-

I checked braids, weaves, half-wigs, and natural hair. That was last year and I made it from necklength to a little past APL.

This year I've been wearing my own hair all year, but that's getting old.:ohwell:

imstush

The first time I grew out my hair I did wng's, braids and then for about a 1 1/2 years I did double strand twists. Now I am starting over and doing a single braid or buns

BostonMaria

how did you wear your hair while growing it out and how did you manage it?

Hmm I see you forgot to add MULLET
That's the one I would've picked :lachen:

No seriously. I had a mullet. I also wore many ponytails since I didn't have enough hair for anything else.

~*Tigget*~

I have found the phony pony (bun) is working well for me. It gives my hair/scalp a chance to breathe, and I can wash on the regular w/ out hassle.

Innocent_Kiss

Kinky twist. I get them retwisted about every two months. I'll be one full year in October. Afterwards, I'm considering a coily/curly textured sew in.

complexsimplicity

this is a good thread. i would like to hear more from some ladies that didn't use any type of weave (i.e. braids, sew ins, phony pony) or any type of wig (i.e. lacefront, fall, regular wig). i'm in a small town and no one does the weave thing and i don't like wigs. i'm only neck length as well. anybody else grow from this length without the help of protective style?