What's easier? Long hair or short?

MizAvalon

What\'s easier? Long hair or short?

Ok, this is a long running argument between a friend and I. She swears that short hair is harder to take care of than long. I disagree. IMO, long hair requires more time, product, care and all-around patience. There are also tangling issues, if you have tangly hair which I definitely do. She says that with long hair if you're having a bad hair day you can just put it in a ponytail and call it a day, but that short hair needs to be "done" all the time because it's too short to do anything else. I guess I should mention that we also have different opinions on what short and long hair is. She thinks short hair is hair so short it can't be put into a ponytail or bun, but I think there is short hair that can. My argument is that short hair and long hair are apples and oranges. That 8 inches of hair can NOT be compared to 30 inches. It's simply way too different. Granted, I don't "do" my hair everyday because I'm into protective styling and little or no manipulation, but if I was doing the "works" every single morning, I just think it would be more difficult and time consuming than dealing with short hair. Of course it's all case-specific because what difficult is for one person might not be for another. Anyhow, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on which you consider to be easier to take care of? Long hair or short hair?

KinksnCurlz

Re: What\'s easier? Long hair or short?

hair long enuf to go into a ponytail is best IMO. or hair as short as malinda williams that you can use some type of wax on it 2 keep it looking crazy and wild but in a cute way.
But i'm sure nothing beats a TWA /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MizAvalon

Ok, just re-read my own post and realized that I contradicted myself. If long hair and short hair can't be compared, then why am I doing it? Please ignore that part and answer anyway. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
hair long enuf to go into a ponytail is best IMO. or hair as short as malinda williams that you can use some type of wax on it 2 keep it looking crazy and wild but in a cute way.
But i'm sure nothing beats a TWA /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I feel. If your hair is long enough for a pony tail or bun, you are in business. Or if it is short to just spike it with a little hair wax and go about your day that's great too. All that in between (like my length)...that's work.

suncypress

i think it depends on your style choices. when my hair was short (see "back in the day" photo album) my easiest hair care was with an almost-buzz cut. i wouldn't even call it a TWA b/c there was no A to speak of--i cut it on the lowest or next-to-lowest setting w/ clippers. hit it with a brush every morning and i'd be out the door (sometimes skip the brush).

now with short relaxed hair i think it's harder. b/c to wear one's hair straight, esp. relaxed bone-straight, you have to curl it or something if you want it to look "done." if you have a relaxer i'd imagine having the ability to put hair in a ponytail (or even a phonytail?) would be best.

in terms of longer hair, my hair gets easier the longer it gets. now that my hair is long enough not just for a ponytail but for buns, french twists, etc, my longer curly hair is very easy to maintain. still, washing it takes about 30 minutes, plus 15 minutes for styling time if i want to wear it down and curly--not to mention air-drying time! my hair, even with the texturizer is so thick it takes hours to dry...

so i say short is much easier.

webby

Think Slim

I've had both extremes and it depends on what is easiest for the individual. When my hair was long, I HATED sitting under the dryer for hours (up to 5).

Ironically, when it was really short, it was more trouble for me, because it's thick, couldn't get a rabbit tail, pony tail, couldn't get it styled right...it was a mess.

I think it's easiest to style when it's in the middle - long enough to get into a ponytail, but it's easiest on bad hair days when it's long (buns, rolls). IMO

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate

Well for me it's short hair. My hair takes a long time for it to dry and the time increases as my hair gets longer.

bocagirl

I think long hair is easier.

When I had my hair short it used to be a real task, but now if I can't bother with it I just put it in a ponytail.

dreemssold

My hair has never been extremely long, but it has been extremely short, so I have to compare my hair then to what it is now. It was easier then. I didn't do anything to grow it longer, I just tried to keep it healthy. Moisture + scarf + weekly salon visit. Now, I have the added drama of co washing, regular washing, etc. Also, as Champagne_Wishes said, I am under the dryer longer, and even the styling takes longer and is more difficult.

GodMadeMePretty

I had short hair once in my life and it was at my neck. It was still long enough to put in a ponytail, but I had to do a LOT more to it than I do with my hair now. One of the reasons that I never had my hair short was because of the upkeep. If I can't wear my hair in a ponytail since that's my staple style, then I'm going to look a hot mess.

MizAvalon

The ponytail thing is what I'm constantly trying to explain to my friend. She always says, oh with long hair you can just throw it into a ponytail if it won't behave. The short hair equvivalent to that is just throwing on a baseball cap, IMO. No matter what length your hair is, if you don't want to be bothered doing it then you'll find a way around that. However, if you are actually "doing" your hair, styling it every single day and all that entails, long hair is harder to me. If nothing else, it's definitely more time consuming.

dannie

In terms of upkeep..short hair definatly is easier. Although it takes more styling to keep short hair looking good. When my hair was short I didn't have this problem. I would just press it every week and that was that.
Long hair is a pain in the neck to keep healthy. But when your sick of it you can just throw it into a ponytail or bun.

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair

its really hard to compare the two. as a person who has gone from twa to bsl, i would say that it depends on the style. maintaining my curly twa was effortless compared to pressing my bsl hair. on the other hand, maintaining my halle style took way more effort (and $$) than throwing my hair into a bun. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Connie

Having had short hair once in my lifetime, I found that while maintaing and caring for short hair is less time-consuming, styling it was a whole other issue. Also, you almost have to style short hair in order for it to look good, whereas you can put long hair in a ponytail or bun if you're having a bad hair day or don't feel like messing with too much.

MrsQueeny

I agree it is easier to actually style long hair than short. With long you have more to detangle. I like long because you can just throw it in a ponytail.

Mariaat40

[ QUOTE ]
Connie said:
Having had short hair once in my lifetime, I found that while maintaing and caring for short hair is less time-consuming, styling it was a whole other issue. Also, you almost have to style short hair in order for it to look good, whereas you can put long hair in a ponytail or bun if you're having a bad hair day or don't feel like messing with too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me three. Styling short hair is much more time consuming than throwing my longer hair into a ponytail or a bun, which I do often. But it does take longer to dry, detangle, etc.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

With my hair, short hair is the easiest, followed by long hair. It's the in between stage that was most frustrating.

model_chick717

For me, short hair is harder--well, short-relaxed hair. My hair is thick and grows fairly quickly--so it seems like I was always at the salong getting it touched up--or trimmed/shaped, and I had to curl it almost every morning. Now, my hair is long enough for ponytails, buns, etc...and it doesn't get easier than that for me, aside from my everyday wash-n-go style...

Faith

Short hair is harder imo since you have to always make sure it's decent looking/put together. Long hair is easier...in my case I wash it, put it into a ponytail, braid it up...bun it and I'm out the door...lol. And when I'm wearing it down I air dry it and roll it on satin rollers for about 30 minutes and I'm good to go /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn

i think medium length is easiest. if its long enough to slap in a pony or bun, then youre good to go. if its too short where you cant do that and you have to curl, then its a mess or rainy days, humid days, lazy days. and lont hair just takes time and extra money at salons

luvSLave

Overall I think short hair is harder unless you have a great cut that you can wash and go, but even then it requires contant trims to keep it such and more frequnt touch ups if relaxed. My hair isn't long by any means, but it is long enough to ponytail or pin up when I'm having a bad hair day or just don't want to be bothered.

While baseball caps may be the short hair equivalent, they are not an option for the office.

DelightfulFlame

On my hair, unless it's really short, is not that easy. It requires a lot of work. It is really tangly. However, I do think that when it gets longer it will be more work.

Faith

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gifHoneydrop don't mean to laugh but what's going on with Michelle in your caption there? /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

Ayeshia

the longer my hair the harder it is to detangle....though i was eager to grow my twa, i miss the two minute upkeep /images/graemlins/smile.gif

InsertCleverNameHere

For me medium hair is the easiest. And when I say medium, I mean enough for a nice ponytail. IMO the hardest hair to care for is short hair that's not supershort. Like neck length hair. If you have a bad hair day you can't throw it in a ponytail and it's not short enough to have a cute messy do going on.

aqualung

Longer hair is easier. I can do a braid out with nappy roots and have friends complimenting the "hair style." If I'm super lazy or rushed, it's long enough to draw back into a bun and still look decent.

Shorter hair demands styling unless it's such a short fro that even combing is optional.

itismehmmkay

My mane reason ( /images/graemlins/grin.gif haha...corny huh?) for growing long hair is so that I can officially be low-maintence. Sure, it takes longer to wash, detangle, and dry. But once it's done, you can make it last longer than with short hair. And the whole "put your hair in a ponytail or bun" is lovely and is always a guaranteed neat style...you don't have those w/ short hair. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

renee_n_3000

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Long hair - because I'm used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my answer, too.

I've cut my hair to the shoulders and just above a few times and, especially if it was cut in layers, I had to curl it to get it to look right to me. But at my "usual" length of waist-length or slightly above, I barely have to do anything to it and am happy with the results. Of course, I do choose to style it and curl it with steam rollers sometimes, but it's not 'necessary' the way I felt it was with short hair.

Also, sleek updos are a snap with longer hair, so that's a bonus, yet people will insist that they took you a lot of time to do. It just takes my hair longer to air dry when it's long, but that's okay. It doesn't tangle and probably takes about two minutes to wash (not counting conditioner, which I usually leave on for three minutes or longer, depending on the product).

I should say that when my hair was just above the shoulders and blunt, I didn't 'need' to curl it then either. So maybe it is more about the cut when it's shorter when it comes to difficulty in maintenance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif