Whats some of the reasons you stop or reconsidering going to a salon

sexyeyes3616

The atmosphere- if it`s too "ghetto" I`m not coming back. If I have to sit in the hair dresser for more than 3 hrs (and even that`s TOO long). Or if the atmosphere is not professional, Or if I see my stylist doing things on other people hair that seems like it would cause damage, or if the salon isn`t immaculate, I don`t want to see sylists eating in the salon, or standing oustide smoking in front of the salon. Or walking around in the salon w/slippers on. I don`t want to see a stylist doing her own hair in between clients. I am really big on atmosphere... so as you can tell, I don`t go to salons that often b/c most of them don`t provide the environment I`m looking for.

Scissor happy- Everything is okay, until they tell you that you have damaged ends and you need a trim. I`m fine with a trim, but if half of my hair has to come off for a trim, then it is not a trim. It is a cut. They should tell you that they are going to cut it beforehand, not say they`re going to trim it.

natstar

I stopped going because I could not stand the wait. Also my stylist was scissr happy and her prices were too high.

I prolly won't see another stylist for a very long time.

shunta

Im thinking of giving up salons period because Im honestly tired of waiting all the time. I only go for a relaxer and even then Im irritated because I have to remind her to base me and not to put the relaxer on my edges first. Then I have to lie and say Im burning so she can hurry and wash the relaxer out cuz if not, she'd leave it in for a while and Im too afraid of overprocessing. The list goes on and on. I really wish I could self-relax.:perplexed

OT-Love your siggy, its so pretty.:)

Last edited:

Xavier

The last straw was when my beautician said I should not go so long without a perm because it was too coarse, then she points at a women in the room with 3b/c hair and says "now if your hair was like that, then that would be a different story." I had to pick up my face off the floor, all of her clients just sat there staring at me like, she's right you know:ohwell: She had my hair looking so nice. But I was always scare to walk up in her salon, because the comments she made about my hair were brutal.

cutiebe2

I just don't have the need to go to the salon anymore..everything she can do for me I can do in my own home

balisi

sexyeyes3616 said:
The atmosphere- if it`s too "ghetto" I`m not coming back. If I have to sit in the hair dresser for more than 3 hrs (and even that`s TOO long). Or if the atmosphere is not professional, Or if I see my stylist doing things on other people hair that seems like it would cause damage, or if the salon isn`t immaculate, I don`t want to see sylists eating in the salon, or standing oustide smoking in front of the salon. Or walking around in the salon w/slippers on. I don`t want to see a stylist doing her own hair in between clients. I am really big on atmosphere... so as you can tell, I don`t go to salons that often b/c most of them don`t provide the environment I`m looking for.

Scissor happy- Everything is okay, until they tell you that you have damaged ends and you need a trim. I`m fine with a trim, but if half of my hair has to come off for a trim, then it is not a trim. It is a cut. They should tell you that they are going to cut it beforehand, not say they`re going to trim it.
All very valid reasons. You might want to try one of the chain salons. They are usually held to much higher standards regarding all of the things you mentioned, especially since many of them are corporate owned/operated. You take more of a chance patronizing the independent salons.

mzcris

Good Thread!! Several reasons why I stopped...the prices are too high, the wait time is too long, you are told you need your ends trim and walk out with a hair cut, you pay for good healthy products but find out they are using not so good products on your hair...my last stylist was applying my relaxer every 6-weeks but everytime I would call for an appt she could never remember me because I was not going to her often! So now I do my own hair and it is growing better now than ever before! :)

Blackoutzangel05

I just got married a month ago and on my wedding day I went to the salon. I have to tell that you that it was the best press ever! But my hair smelt burnt:eek: and she glued extensions in....now my hair is transitioning but its not fragile so some extra conditioner a week and a half later and it came right out but I noticed that as much as i loved the long length that I had retained, I didn't like all the extra heat that was being put on my hair. So yeah I am done with the hair dresser for a while.

balisi

Blackoutzangel05 said:
I just got married a month ago and on my wedding day I went to the salon. I have to tell that you that it was the best press ever! But my hair smelt burnt:eek: and she glued extensions in....now my hair is transitioning but its not fragile so some extra conditioner a week and a half later and it came right out but I noticed that as much as i loved the long length that I had retained, I didn't like all the extra heat that was being put on my hair. So yeah I am done with the hair dresser for a while.
Congratulations, newlywed! :) What a beautiful bride you made!

Did your stylist use a marcel iron or pressing comb to straighten your hair?

CoCoEspresso

I stopped frequenting salons because I wanted to become more independent with my hair care. Around the time that I stopped going I found LHCF, so it was easy for me to stop. I felt that I was ignorant about caring for my hair in between visits, and I didn't really want to shop around to find a stylist that will understand my needs. After some bad experiences I was a little jaded. Now I am considering going back to the salon for relaxer touch-ups, but I really feel that it would be too much of a hassle to lug all of my products in tools into the salon and to have to explain exactly how I want things done.

IrisDaVirus

Some of the reasons I stopped going to salons on a regular basis:
  • The wait was often too long, even when I made an appointment.
  • Salon environment wasn't as profesisonal as it should've been most of the time.
  • They were not as careful with heat and chemicals as they should've been.
  • The prices were getting outrageous.
  • A simple end trimming often turned into a major haircut.
  • They often pushed high maintenance hairstyles that would keep me running in and out of the shop so they could get more money from me.
  • The few good hairdressers I had contact with moved around from shop to shop and I got tired of following them.
  • The day came where I just got sick of salons in general and quit going to them cold turkey.

Last edited:

kyla

Blackoutzangel05 said:

All I can say about the wedding picture is PRETTTTTTTTTTTTTTY!
Thanks for sharing with us.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Blackoutzangel05 said:

MY MY MY what a beautiful bride you are Blackoutz.............back to topic

Hair was always dry from highlights and weekly blowdrying. I was not retaining any length. Frequent hair trimmings bi-weekly. I was laid off money tight. Why was I giving those Egytians all my money? I found out (Affirm,ORS) testing,hair schools,Aveda Institute and lhcf.

Chromia

sexyeyes3616 said:
This is why my hairdresser lost me, my friend, and my friend's niece. Also, she had Jekyll/Hyde reactions when I said I didn't want a trim. Sometimes she would quietly say ok, sometimes she would scold me and get really upset.

Also, it was past time for me to take ownership of my hair and stop being dependent on someone else to take care of my hair. I was going to the salon every 2 weeks.

balisi said:
All very valid reasons. You might want to try one of the chain salons. They are usually held to much higher standards regarding all of the things you mentioned, especially since many of them are corporate owned/operated. You take more of a chance patronizing the independent salons.
I was thinking of going to a salon in the mall for my relaxer touchups. I figured they would have better customer service since they know unhappy customers might call the corporate office and complain.

whitneysimone

because for 40/two weeks for the last two and a half years all i have to show for it is four inches of hair GONE, whats left was dry, foolywang ends, I have UPed my "ghetto" vernacular just by sitting in there AND I now know ALL her business as well as ALL her friends/associates/families/other clients business.

SqrpioQutie

i always liked doing my own hair.. plus, whenever i did go to the salon, i never let my stylist style my hair... she would curl it and then i'd come it and style it from there... and now i can't go back to her because i'm just too critical due to everything that i've learned from here and taking care of my own hair and i don't want to hurt her feelings (or listen to hair myths)...

i've had this stylist for almost 25 years now and, in the past 2 years that i've been my primary stylist, my hair has grown longer than it has ever been... so i figure i don't need a salon really...

AKA-Tude

Blackoutzangel05 said:

You are SSSooooo Beautiful!!!:grin:
Congrats!!

Anyway, they cannot get my hair right! :mad:

Either
trim (BUTCHER) too much from ends
or
leave perm in too long
or
Stay too long in salon
or
"kitchen" is CRUNCHY after perm

the list goes on & on....:perplexed

deejoy

I stopped temporarily because I wanted to save money and my last stylist was scissor happy but I'll be going to a new one after my next self touchup.

I agree with balisi about visiting chains/upscale salons. You generally don't encounter the waits, unprofessional atmosphere there.

Last edited:

Junonia

I am going to stop temporarily. My mother is licensed stylist and she has agreed to do my hair for the next several months. She is tired of hearing my salon horror stories.:lol:

bluediamond0829

i want to stop temporarily not saying i want to completely flat out stop going...(i may try to get it down to once a month, just to get my relaxer done)

but its mostly trying to save money...the salon i go to is kind of expensive..
getting heat put on my hair every week is not the best thing when im trying to grow my hair out
another reason is that my curls dont last longer than a couple of days so that is a waste on money...

and plus i want to get used to being able to find my own regimen and take care of my own hair....w/out having to run to a stylist...i want salon perfect without the stylist....

EDITED: oh and just to update another reason i want to stop going is because its so time consuming going and the past two times ive been ive been in the shop for at least 3 hours. And when i have to be somewhere and have made plans to be somewhere it gets frustrating and tediuos...on top of that its even worse when you have a slow stylist and when you see people coming in at the same time as I am and leaving before she can even start doing my hair. And plus on top of that she is trying to add on services trim, relaxer and rinse..and my salon is not cheap so that'll all be $100+. And plus the last time i went they let some new dummy wash my hair and try to wrap my hair the way my stylist does and i ended up with a little tangle bump in the back..
i mean my salon is pretty professional, the stylist dont eat at their stations, dont even talk on the cell phones, dont handle money transactions, the music is of soft R&B oldies and newbies(sometimes it puts me to sleep), never had a problem with the receptionist or changing appointments or setting up appointments, everyone is very friendly no attitudes. Eveyone is very professionally dressed and sometimes depending on the day they maybe wearing the same color.

Last edited:

la flaca

I've always done my hair, but I got lazy and started going to the salon last year just for touch ups. After joining LHCF, I should try to do my hair again, this time can be even better.:D

Also, I'm dying to try Phyto/silk/PC/ for my next touch up:grin:

hothair

I agree with what most have said but mainly because once they say "When did you last come in for a steam?" I go "Well, maybe 2-3 years ago but i treat at home" and they go " All the ends have to come off! You need to come for a steam every week!" grabbing a pair of scissors even as I strenuously say "No need for a trim just press!" and the grumbling "The ends won't take cause it's all so dried up :nono: it all has to come off" at the time just to shut them up i let her "trim" read cut and decide I'm not coming back!
The wait times is just adding insult to injury, and the fact its MY head and MY money not seeming to make a difference [read major battle] when they decide on the style to press in. Quite frankly i get less stress trying to convince my dogs that that pigeon/ squirrel they're gunning for will not really wait for them to catch it no matter how much it teases, the dogs at least PRETEND to listen :ohwell:

macherieamour

yep- all of the things mentioned above.

-I dont have the time, energy or money
-If I mess up my hair, at least I dont have to walk up to the front desk and pay for it:lol:
-I like MY products...used MY way
-I can experiment without bringing a suitcase full of products,lol.
-I like doing my hair, its very therapeutic:D

caribeandiva

Human being
I stopped going because everytime i went to her my hair got shorter. i'm thinking of going to salons at the mall for trims and highlights.

soulfusion

I stopped going because I got tired of paying somebody to do what I can do better at home. The only thing I miss is the pampering aspect of having somebody else do it for me, because sometimes I'm just not in the mood to mess with my own hair. But then I think about all the stuff I do that they wouldn't do or that I'd have to pay them extra to do and I say ... bump that.

But what I really came in here for is to tell Blackoutzangel05 ... that is by FAR one of the most beautiful bridal portraits I've ever seen. You are a gorgeous bride!

audacious1

In the past 8 months, I've had only 3 salon experiences.

The first one was your "typical" salon with all the gripes many of you have mentioned. I was going to get a relaxer after a 1.5 years of being natural. He combed my hair with a small tooth comb :mad: , I asked whether he had one particular relaxer (to which he responded in the affirmative) but didn't end up having 2 minutes later, and a bunch of other stuff. The one thing he did do "correctly" is give me a trim when I asked for it. He told me his likes long hair, so he wouldn't hack it off. The only thing was that I needed more cut off. Those little knocks that I had as a natural were stuck at the ends but he didn't cut them!

3 months later, I went to another lady that my friends likes to get a relaxer. My nape was crunchy after going to her. Actually, I lost my nape and am trying to nurse it back to health. The positive: I asked for a trim and she gave it to me.

A month after her, I went to balisi. I loved her work, but I haven't been able to go back because I don't have a car. :ohwell:

I tried to become fully self-reliant by learning to self relax. The only thing is, even my corrective that I did a couple of days ago didn't do anything for me. So I NEED to go to a haircare professional to get that done. Other than that, there is no need for me to visit a salon, cause I know my hair better than anyone else does being that its been on my head for 21 years (well maybe a little less cause I was a bald baby :look: ).

STLCoverGirl

MONEY, they charge too much to me. I am cheap and I know I can do my own hair at home and save a lot of money, so why bother? There are times I get sick of doing my hair, and I want to just make an appointment, lol.