Whats some of the reasons you stop or reconsidering going to a salon

zoya_j

I spent too much time and money there

and she cut too much of my hair

now i have more money & time

and definitely more hair

prospurr4

I have not been to a salon in years and have no reason to go now. I really don't miss the "sneaky" hair cuts, all-day waiting, gossiping and other unprofessional behavior that goes on in some salons. I save tons of money, and I actually enjoy doing my own hair. Anything (except trims) that I want done to my hair, I can do myself, including self-relax. For trims, I ask a trusted family member.

The money that I save, I use to buy more shoes!:lol:

bablou00

I only go to to wone lady for my relaxer and if I lived there I would probably go to her more. She listens and takes care of my hair rather than ripping thru it like some stylist I have been to down here. I vow not to go again to another stylist unless its back at home in KC.

Nonie

I like being independent and saving money. And the minute I forgot why I don't go to salons and tried a visit to one again, I got a few more reasons never to return: left the place with hair over 5 inches shorter; left the place wearing the ugliest do I'd ever worn; two days later, my hair was harder than I ever remember it being.

Conclusion: no one cares about my hair as much as I do; and maybe no one knows it better than I. So I'ma figure this hair thing by my darn self.

scoobygirl

I stopped going partly because of the cost but mostly because I never knew if I would end up with a hair setback. I could spend months getting my hair to the proper condition so that it was both moisturized and strong. And it would only take one slip up on a stylist part to put me back to square one. That is too much risk for me.

HoneyDew

I do my own hair just as I have since I was a teenager. I prefer it. I also hate the stupid stuff you have to deal with at the salon.

But, I am considering looking for a stylist I can use when I am busy during school semesters. I would really rather go once a week to a person who can do my hair for me because my schedule gets so busy.

I would also like someone to be available to do my hair for special occasions and things.

Indigo's Hair

cutiebe2 said:
I just don't have the need to go to the salon anymore..everything she can do for me I can do in my own home

IA. I always come out of the salon looking like I did it myself. I do intend on going back to the salon; but, I am going to do research and get references first. I want to see his/her work on a couple of clients hair first.

Ms Red

I stopped going to salons in April 2005 when my old stylist left a super relaxer on too long (she told me it was mild) and it resulted in 3 quarter-sized bald spots (TOTALLY Bald) and damage so bad that I had to cut my APL length hair to earlobe length.

I usually was in the salon for no less than 5 hours because in between eating, watching Madea plays, talking on her cell phone and getting in other customers, I was not a priority. :ohwell:

I also came to LHCF in April 2005 (after I reported the salon and styist to the BBB) and stoped relaxing that month. It has been over 2 years and my hair is thisclose to APL length (stretched). I'm almost 100% natural, my hair is once again thick and healthy, it grew back! :) I haven't used heat in 2 years. I won't say I will never go to another salon again but if and when I go it will not be frequent-- I'll only go if I need something done that I cannot do on my own. No chemicals, dyes or excessive heat either. :nono: Those are promises I made myself when my hair grew back.

Lynnerie

I stopped because no one is going to treat my hair the way I will. Gentle. I'm not going to get a deep condition for 45 minutes at a salon, I'm not gonna rake a comb through my hair.

Plus...
They use too much heat- she would put me under the dryer for a while then blow dry straight then press with marcels, wrap me and put me back under the dryer. Now is all that necessary? H-Naw!

I didnt like seeing what she did to other people's hair.

Now I will go to my beloved Dominican Salon every 10-12 weeks for a relaxer and thats it. Cause I can rollerset my own hair.

Sha76

I got tired of the price jumping everytime I went in ( every 3 months). Not to mention whenever I got my hair relaxed he always seem to put the relaxer on my edges first ( my most tender, burn prone part) without basing or with basing if I remeinded him.

I may have to go back for this next relaxer since it is due a few days before I have my c section. But after that I plan on self relaxing.

shunta

Sha76 said:
I got tired of the price jumping everytime I went in ( every 3 months). Not to mention whenever I got my hair relaxed he always seem to put the relaxer on my edges first ( my most tender, burn prone part) without basing or with basing if I remeinded him.

I may have to go back for this next relaxer since it is due a few days before I have my c section. But after that I plan on self relaxing.

This is my stylist to the tee. I really dont understand why we should have to remind them to base our hairlines and stuff and then to put the relaxer on the edges last. They didnt learn that in school? My goodness...its not rocket science--they should know better. I just dont get it.:perplexed

Ayeshia

cost first and foremost....and since Im natural and I dont press or flat iron what can else they do besides braids and flat twists that I cant do?. Im not paying $35 for a twist out :lol:

Shayla

damaging my hair...
i have "started over from scratch" three seperate times because of over-processing...the most recent being this past december, i grew my hair out natural for 3 or 4 years...wanting to get a relaxer, i went to a salon and came out w/ extremely thin over-processed hair...SO, i'm starting over...AGAIN...i won't be visiting a salon for a relaxer ever again...if i do decide to relax, i'll be self-relaxing....at least then i'll be able to fault myself and not be paying someone to butcher my hair...

ShiShiPooPoo

cupcake said:
I stopped going to salons in April 2005 when my old stylist left a super relaxer on too long (she told me it was mild) and it resulted in 3 quarter-sized bald spots (TOTALLY Bald) and damage so bad that I had to cut my APL length hair to earlobe length.

I usually was in the salon for no less than 5 hours because in between eating, watching Madea plays, talking on her cell phone and getting in other customers, I was not a priority. :ohwell:

I also came to LHCF in April 2005 (after I reported the salon and styist to the BBB) and stoped relaxing that month. It has been over 2 years and my hair is thisclose to APL length (stretched). I'm almost 100% natural, my hair is once again thick and healthy, it grew back! :) I haven't used heat in 2 years. I won't say I will never go to another salon again but if and when I go it will not be frequent-- I'll only go if I need something done that I cannot do on my own. No chemicals, dyes or excessive heat either. :nono: Those are promises I made myself when my hair grew back.

oh...my...God.

I dont like the attitudes of the styists and women hating on healthy hair

I hate how washers pile my hair up on my head to shampoo

I dont like how they rip thru my hair with a teeny tiny comb

I have spoiled myself with the best products no mineral oil, petroleum, etc. and its hard to find a stylst that uses what I know works for my hair.

Its hard to find a stylist who understands about stretching. Everyone is so anxious to relax my head before eight weeks.

I get faint when they want to use direct heat. Every second of that flat iron on my ends feels like an hour.

ETA: Forget about relaxers...You could not pay me to get it done at a salon..they overlap big time. I did not add it because I forgot that is was a salon experience all together. It was the farthest thing from my mind.

They seem to focus all the heat on ends to get it straight..LEAVE MY ENDS ALONE.

Oh..and forget about a heat protectant..I have to whip that outta my purse, then they are reluctant to use it!

I like messy dos with lots of curl body and bounce. They always want to style my hair straight and neat looking. No one seems to understand how I finger comb. I get looks like I am an alien or something.

They never let my "Deep Conditioner" deep condition long enough and pull me from under the dryer in 5 min..I like sitting under there for at least 20 min. (At home I stay under 45)

I have yet to find an educated stylist to understand the difference between a moisturizing treatment and a protien one. They all just say You need a treatment. When I ask them for a moisture one..they just pull out whatever they use for everyone.

When you talk about YOUR hair they look at you as if you think you Know it All as opposed to consulting with you.

...uh..can you tell I am just fed up with Salons???

Last edited:

ChoKitty

I got tired of having to clear 4 hours out of my day to go. It wouldn't have taken so long if she didn't start other clients in the middle of mine and just leave me sitting there with my head in the sink. Also, she was to busy watching tv to pay attention...I showed her pictures and outlined with my fingers what I wanted my bangs to look like (The kinda half moon shape, longer on the outsides thing) she cut them short, straight across.

Another major thing is not being able to understand what they are saying. I'm not big on slang or "ebonics" as my brother tells me (he's reading over my shoulder) so I never take the time to learn what words mean. My father always taught me there is a time to speak like you paid attention in school, and there is a time to speak freely and uses whatever words make you happy. (I was always in places where you shouldn't use slang and such, so its just habit not to use it for me..)A place of work is one of the places you speak clearly. It drives me up the wall to go into a place of business and have someone speak to me in any sort of slang. (It also drives me crazy when people speak in all technological terms. I know a lot about computers, but that doesn't mean I understand everything you are saying.)

Half the time, my hairdresser wouldn't even have her own hair done. She wore greasy sweats and generally looked bad. A beauty shop is place of business! I'm not saying you have to get dolled up, wear lots of make up (especially if your like me and never wear make up) or any of that, but running a comb through your hair and putting on some khakis is not that hard to do.

The last thing was price. I'm paying 65 dollars to sit through all of that, become annoyed, and want to tell you to shut your mouth and finish my hair already. No. I learned to do it myself, I don't have to wait on anyone and lose my whole afternoon. I don't have to listen shouting across the shop about this soap opera or that. The best part, it only costs me eight dollars.

That's the end of my rant!

CurleeDST

I always hated going to salons for the following reasons:

1. they yap too much about nothing
2. prices too high
3. never ever get me in their chair on time
4. never ever get me out of the salon in a decent amount of time
5. except for Atlanta, could not give a truly good relaxer touch up to save their life!

sunnieb

-Cost - just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I feel like paying all the time.
-after doing my own research on relaxers, I realized she wasn't doing all the necessary steps. I'm lucky to still have hair!
-I got tired of setting aside time to go. My stylist didn't have me waiting long, but I still had to get dressed and go. I like being at home where I can get other things done while I'm doing my hair.
-unprofessional atmosphere
-Bootleg Madea play/movie always playing on the tv. I mean, can we find anything else to watch?
-I am now free of direct heat.
-My hair came out straighter and thicker when I self-relaxed.
-I was able to buy the same design essentials relaxer my stylist used to use that my hair loves.
-Stylist changed to affirm relaxer and didn't tell me before I showed up for my appointment.
-I stopped feeling pampered. It was actually stressful having to worry about what she was doing.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

PAgirl

The last ime I went to a salon the stylist kept pressuring me to "trim my ends" So after weeks of him asking I agreed to let him do it. When he was done I went from almost apl to almost shoulder length. Then when I said I wanted it in a ponytail he said "You should've told me before I cut it." :nono:

LushLox

-Cost - just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I feel like paying all the time.
-after doing my own research on relaxers, I realized she wasn't doing all the necessary steps. I'm lucky to still have hair!
-I got tired of setting aside time to go. My stylist didn't have me waiting long, but I still had to get dressed and go. I like being at home where I can get other things done while I'm doing my hair.

-Bootleg Madea play/movie always playing on the tv. I mean, can we find anything else to watch?
-I was able to buy the same design essentials relaxer my stylist used to use that my hair loves.
-Stylist changed to affirm relaxer and didn't tell me before I showed up for my appointment.
-I stopped feeling pampered. It was actually stressful having to worry about what she was doing.

Totally agree with all of this. You'd be hard pushed to find a stylist that would be prepared to neutralize as often as ladies that relax their own hair, they haven't got time for all that.

And no matter how many times I told my stylist not to pull the relaxer over the previously relaxed hair, she still did it, so I'm doing it myself now and I'm very happy with my results.

Amcd

I looked at your fotki and your hair looks great. I'm still trying to work up enough nerve to do my own relaxer.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Let me be clear, I had to stop going to the TYPE of salon everyone mentioned above. My former stylist started out a nice upscale (not ghetto) salon. However, after following her around to three other salons, I finally concluded she cared more about my money than the health of my hair.

The final straw was a color application done without any question (I hadn't seen her in nearly two years) or consultation. When it went wrong, no apology either. I learned my lesson, that while customers need to take charge of their own hair, stylists too should be asking questions to ensure that their customer's hair is safe and healthy.

BUT, this doesn't mean that I don't use a stylist. I finally realized that I disliked the long waits for service, poor service with no apology, attitudes, etc. I finally found a really nice upscale salon where my appointments are honored. Why do I still go? I get my hair professionally colored (I did not want to tackle on my own) and I found a stylist that understands what a DUSTING is. She is a real godsend.

Fine 4s

I didn't get long, healthy results eventhough I was going every 2 weeks!
I'm reconsidering because now my hair is getting more difficult to manage and/or style.

AlliCat

Mostly don't go to the salon anymore to save money...I don't mind the wait too much b/c the hours at the salon would be the same as the hours to relax my own hair...no biggie...but I also don't like their practices...the first and last time i got a weave they put glue in even though I told them I didn't want it...and they pressure you to cut your hair all the time..

but I wouldn't completly avoid the salon. in fact I want to go there maybe for a wash and flat iron. I'd love to see their reaction to my hair. Last time I went another stylist watched in awe as my APL hair was being blow dried :eek: Needless to say it felt good to have them comment on my progress.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I don't really go to the salon except if i'm installing or tightening my weave.
I just do not like blatant disregard for my time- that means if i have an appointment for a certain time i should not have to wait a total of 9 hours for a 2 hour weave to get done, seriously.
I do not like the fact that some hair dressers do not care for your hair. The are hair dressers just here to "dress up" your hair do do not care about the health of you hair.
I do not like if you try to convince me do otherwise my hair, If i say not to a perm and that makes it harder for you then let me remove myself and find another person to do my hair.
The cost are out of this world sometimes.

outspokenwallflower

Oh, where do I start?

1. Tired of them charging for every little thing under the sun ($2 JUST to put my OWN conditioner and cap in my hair! I might as well go to the salon bathroom and slather it on myself)

2. Tired of them not using proper techniques on my hair (I wondered why I was missing a crown...) Also, overlapping on my relaxers became too frequent :(

3. Tired of the unorganization: SO many times, I would go and not only wait for SO long (even if I went on a weekday morning!) but there was no list or book to write your name in, so the client would have to keep a keen eye on the stylists and make sure they were tended to when it was their turn. I cant count on both hands how many times arguments broke out because clients were angry with other clients or at the stylists for skipping places or tending to someone first.

4. Tired of not getting the same, luxe care and treatment that their friends that would seldom come by would get (they would slowly and carefully wash their friends' hair, and comb and style with care; however, I was being rushed as though my hair was a deadly disease)

Now, this doesnt go for ALL salons. I've actually just recently started going back to the salon on a occassional basis because now that I'm working and going to school full time, I'm too tired or too busy to devote the amount of time and effort to my hair that I know it needs. I still do it myself more often than not, but I found a decent salon that will do a wash and set to my liking when I feel like taking a break. That particular salon is good in the sense that I dont have to wait, they are organized and they dont rush me; however, I don't like the owner too much because I've discovered she likes to make up prices in her head and it CONSTANTLY changes, despite getting the same service two weeks before or asking her the price before it started. I think thats wrong.