What Makes A Great Hair Salon?

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
It it the atmosphere? The comfortable chairs? The lighting? Magazines? What is it about a good stylist that allows you to have a great experience with them and/or continue to use their services? What is it about a salon that you've visited that makes you look forward to going back?

Please share. :)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Haven't Found it Yet.:look: And I was a Weekly Salon Go-er for Over 25+ Years.....:rolleyes:

Trust Me. In that Time Frame, I've been to them All.

Sooner or Later the Stylist will start to "impose" their own viewpoints & beliefs about "Your Hair"

So, Now that I am Finally a DIY: I would have to Say -- My House = Great Hair Salon.:grin:

I Got the Products. I Got the Equipment. Pleasant Atmosphere and NO Double Booking.

*only thing missing is techinque -- but it's coming*:look:

lisatamika

It it the atmosphere? The comfortable chairs? The lighting? Magazines? What is it about a good stylist that allows you to have a great experience with them and/or continue to use their services? What is it about a salon that you've visited that makes you look forward to going back?

Please share. :)

OT: Hi!!! :wave:

panamoni

-No double booking
-No crowding
-A person who listens to what I want, and when I show them the amount I want trimmed, they listen and show me a sample and continue trimming only that amount the entire way around. Or when I say that I can't have the relaxer in too long, they listen and move quickly. (even if they only speak Spanish)
-Someone who is patient and tries to understand a style I'm describing.
-Someone who doesn't talk too mutch -- I like to bring books to read.
-Of course, someone who can style my hair well.

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
One of the main accepts that make a good salon is one that promotes healthy hair practices such as little no heat styles, encourage their clients to DC, and doesn't forces their clients to cut/trim.

djanae

great thread.

A salon FULL of stylists that actually TAKE HEED to your hair's individual needs. Also, someone who pays attention (and ultimately) caters to what you are coming to them for. Whether it be more length retention, a certain cut or whatever.

I have yet to find that, but I've also happily been a diy girl for the past year (except for one dominican blow out).

One time (a few years ago), I told a stylist that I wanted my hair to be parted a certain way....and she told me, "No....you look better with your hair away from your face."

?? something as simple as a side part was too much for her, I guess. lol

For me this is the overall problem with most salons.

When I get back to NY this fall though, I do intend to treat myself to a high quality salon visit. I want to visit Dickey. :grin:

But overall, I'm looking for
1. individualized hair help - specific to me
2. someone who knows how to deal with black hair in it's natural state,
3. and a stylist that listens to what I'm trying to get out of my salon experience.

I think this may have turned into a rant. lol

beans4reezy

The atmosphere weighs heavily on whether or not I like a salon. It's so sad to say, but so many salons I've been to, the attitudes of the stylists working there are just straight stank. They give out an air like they are doing you a favor by taking your money and styling your hair.

If the atmosphere is friendly and warm...this means everything to me, because everything else falls into place (i.e being comfortable to communicate freely with the person styling your hair).

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Aside from a great & caring stylist, the superficial things matter to me. :look:

I will not go to a salon that looks like someone's corner kitchen.
I do not care for salons where the stylists are working too close together.
I dont like salons where the dryers dont match. :lol:

I hate stylists who overbook their clients.
Don't know why but I don't care for manicurists in hair salons.

So for me, a great salon wouldnt have any of the aforementioned.

Lebiya

Someone who can give good personalized haircare advice and suggestions to care for natural/permed hair

Uses good products

Good styling techniques

Reasonable to No waiting time

Listen to and does what I request, Patient

Clean, warm environment

Affordable

Shows their OWN healthy hair (at least once in a while)

Can make me leave feeling happy and satisfied

loved

My BFF and I were talking about this earlier this week. I was commenting on how tight her hair was in high school/college and asking had she ever found another hair stylist like that. She said not even close. I've been to dozens of stylists and never found that one.

One of the things about her hair at that time was that her hair was thick and her ends so blunt that it looked like she could cut diamonds with her hair. We were hair twins - both 4zs - but he was able to get her straight, retain length, and keep her thickness. Her hair was cut so well that it needed very little styling.

She said that he listened to her in a way that no other hair dresser ever has. Instead of imposing what he thought she should have he gave her what she wanted.

He never talked down or condemned her hair when she caused a setback. He just brought her back to health. At the time, he used Dudley DRC treatments.

On the downside, he was one of the most popular stylists in the city, so it was an all day event. Back then it didn't matter as much. That would be a no for me now, unless I was going for a chemical service a few times a year and the stylist was so good with caring for hair that it was worth my time.

In summation, I would say a good salon/stylist

- Listens and follows your directions
- Doesn't condemn/make jokes about your texture/setbacks
- Respects your time
- Practices healthy hair care and teaches you home care
- Knows how to retain length, thickness while offering styles that makes you feel fabulous

vestaluv1

• Stylists who don't rake through your hair with combs/brushes and handle your hair with care... some stylists just don't care :nono:
  • Stylists who are aware of healthy hair practises and are willing to pass that infomation on
  • Stylists that pay attention to you and your hair and don't leave you sitting there for ages because they're so busy/under-staffed.
  • Salons that keep to their appointments and are more or less on time
I could go on...

remilaku

I try to give my clients what they want. If I am going to be late, I try and call them to let them know. I offer more services so I can better fit their needs. If their hair will not take a kind of service, I tell them. I don't try to do the service damaging their hair just to get that money. I care about my clients. I give my client more info on hair then they will ever need. If this is the first time my client has had this service, I tell them how to take care of it, how to sleep at night and so on. I try to go above and beyond. I don't want to be just a hair stylist. I want to be the best and I want to be your friend. http://remilakunatural.zoomshare.com

Geminigirl

A place where you walk in and are greeted instead of stared downed and probably talked about

Friendly stylists
clean open atmosphere
some place that doesn't take all day
A place that doesn't have a shampoo girl(that's too much tips to give out in this economy)

I guess that's all as I haven't been to the salon in forever and am perfectly fine caring for my own hair.

mscocoface

The service, because if they care about that they will care about everything else surrounding your customer care and will want you coming back.

When I say service I mean: Healthy hair care practice, reasonable prices, responsible and caring technicians, clean and professional atomosphere and surroundings.

isabella09

For me it's the following;
- Excellent knowledgeable stylist's who are able to listen and follow instructions when it’s time for a trim.
- A very professional looking efficiently managed salon with an excellent award winning reputation.
- A relaxed and pampered atmosphere
- No loud music and any kind of gossip
- Excellent customer service
- Lastly, the product selection’s they make and technique’s employed e.g, using all/ almost natural products, high quality salon products, gentle handling of the hair and using just enough heat to get the job done etc would illustrate to me that they care about the clients underline/long term hair health and not just the immediate service at hand.
As I'm predominately a DIYer, I want to feel pampered for my once - twice yearly salon visit or I may as well do it myself :grin: