What's wrong with using a straightening comb on relaxed hair?

taylokc

This may be a stupid question, but I notice that when I didn't have a relaxer, my grandma used to hot comb my hair. Is this supposed to be either or, or is it possible to use both. I see some of my friends touch up their relaxed hair with the hot comb when their new growth gets too thick. Is this safe? Does it break the hair? Ladies.....educate me...please!!!!!

Qualitee

Its safe along as you use the hot comb properly and dont abuse your hair with it.People dont like hot combs mostly becacuse its direct heat and its uncontrolled heat. If you use a heat protectant it will be ok to use but not every day or every week. Try every other week. Your hair will break if you dont protect your hair or you abuse your hair with the hot comb. That goes for most direct heat tools. HTH :)

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I fully transitioned by using a hot comb on my roots while my ends were relaxed. My hair is past WL now, so No - it didnt break.

What you can't do is make a habit of using both the hot comb and flat iron to get your hair straight. That's when the breakage happens. Just press the hair and bump the ends, and then no more heat until the next wash. That's how I did it.