What’s your 2-strand twist regimen?

13StepsAhead

Hey Divas! :wave:

I’m thinking of wearing 2-strand twists for the remainder of the year and either re-twisting 1-2x a week. I’m leaning more towards 1x a week because it takes me 2hours to re-twist. So far I have had my twist in for 5 days and I really like the ease of wearing them because I can put them into a nice sized bun and I can have a twist out on the weekend. My only concern is the frizz that I get about 2 days into the week. I plan to do a mid-week co-wash if I start this PS regimen, but I haven’t had the chance to test that out since I’ve been away on business. So my question to you all (particularly naturals) what is you regimen while in twists? (How long do you keep them in? do you co-wash? What do you do about the frizz? And anything else you want to share would be really helpful.)

Thanks for your help!

ETA:So I'll be coming in here to document my regimen as I go through the year with my twist; hopefully this helps me nail down a solid twist regimen and helps someone along the way. Ladies please fell free to post any tips and tricks that work best and those that didn't work for you.

Last edited:

Nonie

Because I'm lazy, I'll just post what I PMed someone who asked me about the twists I am wearing now. I twisted my hair in August 2010 and the question was whether I am in the same set from back in August and if I just redo them as needed, and what my regimen was.

Yeah, same set, I just redo one by one whenever I'm in the mood or find they need it. Usually because I have HIH disease, they tend to look pretty good because one or two are usually fresh from me redoing whenever I sit down to watch TV. The longest I've gone not touching them at all was a little over 4 weeks and they got fuzzy, but in a way I loved (I had washed these 8 times) and loved the fuzz:

I don't really do anything to my twists. I don't use products as a leave-in. I shampoo twice a week using any moisturizing shampoo that looks like a gel (creamy ones feel like they just coat my scalp instead of cleaning; to me anyway :look: ). I apply the shampoo to my fingers and then feel through the twists to my scalp (after wetting my head). I massage my scalp to clean and squeeze my twists too. I then rinse a bit to add more water and make the shampoo run down the length of the twists and squeeze the twists to clean as suds run through them. If the suds are not white (clean), I rinse and repeat the shampoo process. (I love the massage I get from washing my hair!) Otherwise I just rinse then move on to conditioning.

To condition, I take a few twists at a time and apply conditioner relaxer style, skipping about an inch closest to my scalp. Why? I don't think conditioner has any purpose on my scalp. Also I feel the new hair is not really in need of conditioning as much as old hair. JJJ who has beyond butt length hair taught me this and it's worked for me. Not putting conditioner on my scalp also saves me from having itches. After I've applied condish to a few twists, I squeeze them so it penetrates the twists, then braid them to get them out of the way while I work on another set. I leave them hanging so that condish drips down towards ends that need it the most. Once all are twisted, I put on a plastic bag (big enough to let them hang) and then finish my shower (washing my body). Then I rinse them fully squeezing till no froth is coming out. Then I either pour over my head a solution of ACV in water (very dilute). Or I dunk my head in a mixture in a basin and massage my scalp.

I then let them drip dry with a towel draped over my shoulder so that it catches the drops of water, if I want to wear them down like this:

..which later looks like this:

Or I towel-dry and then stretch them into whatever style I want when damp and easy to stretch

At night I just put on a plastic cap and go to bed. If I'm wearing a style I plan on wearing again, I use Saran wrap so it can hold the style like here:

Then in the AM take it off and put on whatever clip I want and I'm good to go:

That's it. I honestly don't think I spend more than 30 minutes on my hair a week. I DC on the weekends following whatever directions the DC says on the bottle. I use either AO GPB or Emergencee. For moisturizing conditioner which I use after the DC or in my midweek wash (Don't know if I mentioned it, but I wash my hair twice a week, both times with shampoo), any conditioner for dry hair works. Aussie, Organix, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, Humectress Mask, etc.

When I baggy, the fuzz sort of shrinks and lies down against the twists so that the hair looks neat.

For instance, this do was a week old and was really fuzzy, but every morning when I took the Saran off, it'd look so neat.

Not using products for me means no knots and no locking and less dirt. Baggying provides all the moisture I need by recycling the moisture from conditioning and encouraging sebum production. Remember the roots that I don't condition as a rule? They show no signs of neglect. They are so soft, thanks to sebum. :grin:

That's it. An easy regimen for a lazy bum.

Platinum

Nonie Great info, thanks for sharing! I was thinking about taking mine out (installed on the 4th of July) because they're fuzzy but I just may try your regimen.

13StepsAhead

@Nonie Thanks so much for the detailed info and pictures.

ETA: I'm going to try that saran wrap method next week.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Nonie.
Loving all the great tips and info I am getting
from this forum.
Learning and loving this forum as I learn to
take care of my hair.

Thanks ladies.

SmilingElephant

Because I'm lazy, I'll just post what I PMed someone who asked me about the twists I am wearing now. I twisted my hair in August 2010 and the question was whether I am in the same set from back in August and if I just redo them as needed, and what my regimen was.

Yeah, same set, I just redo one by one whenever I'm in the mood or find they need it. Usually because I have HIH disease, they tend to look pretty good because one or two are usually fresh from me redoing whenever I sit down to watch TV. The longest I've gone not touching them at all was a little over 4 weeks and they got fuzzy, but in a way I loved (I had washed these 8 times) and loved the fuzz:

I don't really do anything to my twists. I don't use products as a leave-in. I shampoo twice a week using any moisturizing shampoo that looks like a gel (creamy ones feel like they just coat my scalp instead of cleaning; to me anyway :look: ). I apply the shampoo to my fingers and then feel through the twists to my scalp (after wetting my head). I massage my scalp to clean and squeeze my twists too. I then rinse a bit to add more water and make the shampoo run down the length of the twists and squeeze the twists to clean as suds run through them. If the suds are not white (clean), I rinse and repeat the shampoo process. (I love the massage I get from washing my hair!) Otherwise I just rinse then move on to conditioning.

To condition, I take a few twists at a time and apply conditioner relaxer style, skipping about an inch closest to my scalp. Why? I don't think conditioner has any purpose on my scalp. Also I feel the new hair is not really in need of conditioning as much as old hair. JJJ who has beyond butt length hair taught me this and it's worked for me. Not putting conditioner on my scalp also saves me from having itches. After I've applied condish to a few twists, I squeeze them so it penetrates the twists, then braid them to get them out of the way while I work on another set. I leave them hanging so that condish drips down towards ends that need it the most. Once all are twisted, I put on a plastic bag (big enough to let them hang) and then finish my shower (washing my body). Then I rinse them fully squeezing till no froth is coming out. Then I either pour over my head a solution of ACV in water (very dilute). Or I dunk my head in a mixture in a basin and massage my scalp.

I then let them drip dry with a towel draped over my shoulder so that it catches the drops of water, if I want to wear them down like this:

..which later looks like this:

Or I towel-dry and then stretch them into whatever style I want when damp and easy to stretch

At night I just put on a plastic cap and go to bed. If I'm wearing a style I plan on wearing again, I use Saran wrap so it can hold the style like here:

Then in the AM take it off and put on whatever clip I want and I'm good to go:

That's it. I honestly don't think I spend more than 30 minutes on my hair a week. I DC on the weekends following whatever directions the DC says on the bottle. I use either AO GPB or Emergencee. For moisturizing conditioner which I use after the DC or in my midweek wash (Don't know if I mentioned it, but I wash my hair twice a week, both times with shampoo), any conditioner for dry hair works. Aussie, Organix, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, Humectress Mask, etc.

When I baggy, the fuzz sort of shrinks and lies down against the twists so that the hair looks neat.

For instance, this do was a week old and was really fuzzy, but every morning when I took the Saran off, it'd look so neat.

Not using products for me means no knots and no locking and less dirt. Baggying provides all the moisture I need by recycling the moisture from conditioning and encouraging sebum production. Remember the roots that I don't condition as a rule? They show no signs of neglect. They are so soft, thanks to sebum. :grin:

That's it. An easy regimen for a lazy bum.

This is personally my first time seeing your hair Nonie and it's beautiful!

I'm glad this thread is hear. I had to take my twists out this morning bc of how horribly frizzy they were:mad:....I've learned that I can't wash my 2ST's bc of the frizz and also bc they unravel at my crown and the front.

So annoying. :sad:

13StepsAhead

This is personally my first time seeing your hair @Nonie and it's beautiful!

I'm glad this thread is hear. I had to take my twists out this morning bc of how horribly frizzy they were:mad:....I've learned that I can't wash my 2ST's bc of the frizz and also bc they unravel at my crown and the front.

SmilingElephant my twist does the exact same thing in the front which is why I'm a bit leary about washing them

faithVA

I have been watching this thread. And I am envious of those who can wash their hair in twists. Certain parts of my head works fine. But there are areas as some of you have mentioned that don't like it.

I've watched several yters do it and was just amazed.

Nonie

This is personally my first time seeing your hair @Nonie and it's beautiful!

SmilingElephant, thank you.

You haven't seen my hair? :giggle: I think I can count the number of posts in this hair forum that don't have my hair pics on one hand. You're lucky to have been spared the boredom, coz I tend to use the very same pics in every post. :giggle:

How do you twist? I find that by twirling each strand before winding around the other, the twists hold pretty well even through several washes. I demo'd how I twist here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0
It may look slow and cumbersome in that demo but after you've been doing it for a while, it gets easier and quicker. This next vid shows how I normally do it in real time. I started slowly so you'd see that I am indeed twirling the strands before wrapping them around each other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0c7KPcj08

curlycrown85

I use Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque to twist with. It is supposed to be a deep conditioner, but works best for twists. Your hair will be very moisturized and super soft. I mean -- unbelievably soft! I twist once a week and don't worry about retwisting throughout the week unless one comes down. I do add more Deep Treatment Masque to each twist and kind of coil each twist with the product maybe once or twice throughout the week.

Baggettcindy

I coWash with hair still twisted, i just retwist, apply leave-in cond, baggy at night...pretty much do what was posted in this thread.

silenttullip

When I first went natural I couldn't wash twists without them unraveling but I think it was the fact that I was twisting loosely and using products that made my hair really extra soft. Products like AOGPB with protein help hold them in for me.

beans4reezy

Im wearing twists right now. Love the flexibility,but they feel dry. Nonie, thank you for such a useful post!

Nuelle

I'm planning on wearing twists the entire summer. Not sure what I'll do during the winter, but it's low maintenance and I like that I can do different styles with the twists. I generally keep my twists in 2 to 3 weeks at a time. I don't wash but make sure to moisturize and cover my hair at night. I'm thinking about (co?) washing on Saturday morning though I'm concerned my twists may shrink (they were done on blowdried hair). I'll probably just rinse my hair in a ponytail and hope that that keeps it stretched.

SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant, thank you.

You haven't seen my hair? :giggle: I think I can count the number of posts in this hair forum that don't have my hair pics on one hand. You're lucky to have been spared the boredom, coz I tend to use the very same pics in every post. :giggle:

How do you twist? I find that by twirling each strand before winding around the other, the twists hold pretty well even through several washes. I demo'd how I twist here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0
It may look slow and cumbersome in that demo but after you've been doing it for a while, it gets easier and quicker. This next vid shows how I normally do it in real time. I started slowly so you'd see that I am indeed twirling the strands before wrapping them around each other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0c7KPcj08

I twist starting from the scalp and kinda twist each strand while twisting. I may have to just twist weekly without washing them. My ends in the front do not curl up by themselves when twisted like my ends in the back do. I use gel and Bobby pins to kinda glue them in place. Lol.

It's SO annoying. :fistshake:

Spiffy

^I get the unraveling thing too! I also get the itchies after about 4 to 5 days, so I have to start the process all over again.

I usually wash, DC, apply Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie to the length of a section then go over it with some shea butter and twist.

I think I need to make my twists smaller and try twirling the individual seconds before twisting.

iri9109

I use Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque to twist with. It is supposed to be a deep conditioner, but works best for twists. Your hair will be very moisturized and super soft. I mean -- unbelievably soft! I twist once a week and don't worry about retwisting throughout the week unless one comes down. I do add more Deep Treatment Masque to each twist and kind of coil each twist with the product maybe once or twice throughout the week.

i only use this to twist my moms hair and it definitely lasts the whole week, sometimes 2 weeks.

Fhrizzball

I twist on dry or slightly damp hair using tresseme naturals as a leave in, EVCO and SM curl echancing smoothie as my styler.

I don't wash my twist as that causes tangles and I keep them in for 1-3 weeks. I usually miss my hair by the end of week 1 so it's rare that I do it longer than 2 weeks. I do medium size twist and it usually takes a whole day affair to get them done.

I moisturize as needed with a spritz and seal with oil but with Shea moisture I don't need to do it in the beginning.

When I get tired of them I either redo the whole set as my hair needs to be washed and Dc'd or rock a twist out for a week or so. I pre finger detangle with olive oil before I wash my hair after a twist set and begin the process anew or do another style.

gigi2011

I wear my hair in twist 95% of the time and I wear them for 2wks. I don't normally wash in between in fear of extreme tangles. But I spritz everyday with Sheamoisture hold & shine spray and moisturize w/cream and seal w/oil every 2-3 days to cut down on build up. I pin them up, where them straight or rod them and do a twist and curl. I think their very versatile with out constant manipulation.

BrookeLynn

I'm wearing my hair in 2 strand twists now. They can last up to 2 weeks if I keep my hands out of my hair and sleep with a scarf at night. I have a YouTube video explaining how I get them done.

13StepsAhead

I wear my hair in twist 95% of the time and I wear them for 2wks. I don't normally wash in between in fear of extreme tangles. But I spritz everyday with Sheamoisture hold & shine spray and moisturize w/cream and seal w/oil every 2-3 days to cut down on build up. I pin them up, where them straight or rod them and do a twist and curl. I think their very versatile with out constant manipulation.

I've been using this spray and my hair has been incredibly soft and moisturized.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I wear twist regularly, but my regime isn't as detailed as Nonie

-Shampoo with CV bars, or co-wash once a week
-Deep condition with either protein or moisture depending on hair's needs
-Rinse with cool water
-Ring water out my hair and start twisting (or twist on dry hair after a day in a puff)
with desire products
-I maintain the twist through-out the week by using refresher sprays
-Wear bonnet at night
-Take down twist at the end of the week
-Then repeat prior steps.

I personally can't wear my twist more than 8 to 9 days because my scalp starts to itch and feels oily after a while. Especially in the summer.

Last edited:

SimJam

As usual Nonie and her textbook posts - always very helpful !!!

I twist once a week I cant cowash my twists and hope to wear them after - they frizz to kingdom come.

I always DC moisture before putting in my twists and put in abt 20 to 25 twists (abt 3 times the size of nonis in the pictures she posted. When I wash after a week, I break each twist into 2. I rarely do mini twists because my hair tends to tange and want to lock when in twists.

for twistsing i use

AOHC or BRBC under oyin burnt sugar pomade

or

darcys pumpkin under darcys twisting cream

or

KKKC

I dont have to remoisturize during the week but I normally go over the ends with some moisturizer and oyin burnt sugar.

Once I sleep with a satin scarf on my style doesnt frizz too much during the week.

curlycrown85 u are definitely onto something with the Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque as a twisting product !!! I recently bought some shea moisture prods and wasnt too thrilled with this particular one UNTIL I was empting my bathroom wastebasket where I had thrown away my shed hair (which was coated with that conditioner since I detangled with the product in my hair) and the wad of hair was soooooooooooooooooooooooo soft like reeedonkulosly soft!!!!

so I'll have to try this method :grin:

jennboo

My most recent set of twists:

I basically twist my entire head every 7-9 weeks. I re-twist to refresh as needed along the side part. This totally revitalizes th hairstyle and is what allows me to keep a set in for so long. My hair does get fuzzy, but i love the look and prefer it to freshly done twists.

I wash with a bunch of different stuff (sometimes con, sometimes kinky curly, sometimes trader joes nourish spa, sometimes elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo). I condition with Loreal nature's therapy mega moisture nurturing creme, i leave that in for about 5 min while in the shower. After the wash i'll spray with a watery-leave in (infusium 23) and sometimes ill put some oil on it after the wash. I wash maybe once a month (ducks stones).

As for daily maintenance, i pin my twists down with bobby pins and cover with a scarf. In the mornings i remove the pins, massage/rub my scalp to get the oils flowin' and to fluff up the twists. I spritz with water and apply either jojoba oil or grapesedd oil on the twists and i'm out the door.

ETA: also, i don't use product to twist my hair and i twist on dry hair. I'll wash my hair, plait it in about 6 plaits, let dry over night and start twisting. My twists are fluffy and still shiny even without product, and i just prefer the look and feel of the twists without gobs of stuff in my hair.

Last edited:

s4pphir3

I'm currently wearing mini twists (pics in my album) .. I wash and dc my hair prior to twisting, apply my leave in and seal then blow dry my hair on cool using the tension method to stretch out my curls. I only use raw unrefined shea butter to twist and because my hair is prone to unravelling I have to do mini twists .. it takes me a while but I wear them for about 4 weeks before taking them down. To keep my scalp clean I use witch hazel on a q-tip or cotton ball though I prefer the q-tip, i oil my scalp every other day or whenever I can remember, lightly spritz my ends with water and a few drops of oil mixed in a spray bottle and baggy my ends only - I do this maybe 2x a week.

When it comes to styling I wear them down a lot, more than I should but when I don't they're in a bun or flipped up with a flexi-8 sometimes I get creative with the styles and flat twist the side and wear them over one shoulder ... there a quite a few styling options.

ETA: I got my regimen from KinkyCurlyQueen ... :)

Last edited: