When and why does our hair need a 'hard' protein treatment?

Channy31

My hair really loves protein. I use mild protein leave ins and mild protein conditioners and my hair feels great.

But something I'm still confused about is hard protein treatments, why do we need them?
Can't I just use mild protein conditioners more often?

What are some recommended hard protein treatments without nasty ingredients?

Thanks in advance!

mayoo

Can't I just use mild protein conditioners more often?

For me, I wash my hair every week and do a mild protein treatment every week and that's enough but...

When i used to wash my hair really irregularly and i didn't do as many treatments, I used to do a hard treatment which was indigo, henna and my usual deep conditioner (AOGPB).

Otherwise, my hair gets limp and breaks really easily. :grin:

SimJam

I also prefer frequent mild protein treatments.
Ive bought the hv methi tea 2 step set, I believe its a strong protein treatment. Haven't used it yet but hv aont never let me down yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using LHCF

Andrea2012

I've been doing mild to light protein treatments regularly as well. I purchased Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment some time ago, but I have been too afraid to use it. I think the mild/light treatments are working for me

Fine 4s

I suspect I need to use light protein DCs regularly as well. My breakage is constant. I can apply moisture in between washes I guess. I'm still learning after all these years. The day I don't have short pieces of hair in my tub would be amaaaazing!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Strong protein treatments are usually used to prep hair before or to restructure hair after chemical services like relaxers, bleaching etc. or as a periodic dose of protein if you dont use protein often. You can also do a strong treatment if your hair gets over very over moisturized. I was a big fan of strong treatments.

Having said that, echoing what others have said I now prefer weekly mild/med doses of protein, I find it to be a much more effective way of maintaining protein moisture balance.

my faves:
Aphogee 2 min
Joico k-pak reconstructor
TIGI dumb blonde

Last edited:

Ari8

I used Aphogee 2-Step several years ago when I was experiencing uncontrollable breakage. My hair laughed at it.

I think cases like mine - where you're experiencing severe damage - are when you go for hard treatments like Aphogee. It also seems that chemically-treated hair (e.g., relaxed) can tolerate hard treatments.

I've been using light to moderate protein conditioners but I think I need something stronger. AO GPB is nice but it doesn't even feel like protein.

I just bought Komaza Care's hard protein strengthener and I'll give that a go soon, though I'm nervous because of the keratin (I've discovered that my hair can only tolerate so much keratin).

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What constitutes a "hard" protein?

i use a reconstructing protien conditioner after every flat ironing. i think its what helps to revive my NG.

Channy31

Thank you, so can I conclude I don't really need a hard protein treatment as long as I'm keeping up with my protein

Ogoma

I have never used a hard protein treatment. Mild to medium balanced protein conditioners do the work for me.

GoodMernin

I just use ORS Replenishing Conditioner light protein conditioner mixed with one egg and EVOO.

I leave in on my hair in a plastic cap and a couple knit hats for an hr or so or under the hooded dryer for 15 min on medium heat.

I do this every Friday and it works just fine for me.

I just relaxed my natural hair about a month ago and did a hard protein mix between the steps of rinsing and neutralizing. I wanted to get that hard protein in the hair shaft while the pores were opened from the alkaline relaxer and it worked just fine.

Mjon912

I think it depends on your hair, as a relaxed head I used a light protein every week when I washed, that was fine...now that I'm transitioning I still use a light protein every wash but I do a hard protein every other month because I feel like my hair benifits for the extra boost of strength since I use heat to straighten more often...so again, I think it depends on your hair and what you do to it

southerncitygirl

i use protein (mostly aubreys gbp) pretty much every week and i still need hardcore protein every 4-6 weeks.

many of the products i use to moisturize and seal via the loco/loc method have varying types of protein whether its quinoa, silk, lupine,collagen,and/or wheat proteins.

hair loses protein everyday from exposure to the elements and protective styling doesn't change that. also it gets exposure to pollution.

everybodies hair is different and i saw a leap in hair retention when i added hardcore protein instead of focusing just on moisture.

komaza protein strengthener is a fave of mine and it can be left in like an overnight treatment...even though it dries crunchy it can be used every 2 wks if someone needed it or you could wait longer. the ingredients are better than aphogee.

its kinda hard to explain, when i do hardcore treatments, my curl definition is more pronounced and my cottony hair is less frizzy though i regularly pre-poo/dc.

Luxlii

I use a hard protein before putting in braids and after they are removed and after a perm. Other than that I like mostly moisture and light protein from time to time like Motionc CPR or ORS Mayo.

Sharaug

I use Aphogee two minute reconstructer weekly. My hair loves it! I ised the Aphogee two step once the week before my relaxer and i defenitly think it made a hudge difference! My hair always felt dry and stript after a relaxer and now it was... Uhm... Different. It felt stronger but not dry or stripped. Soft but not mushy ( don't even know if that's a word) anyhow, i liked it a lot! English is not my native language so please bare with me. I'm trying.

charmtreese

As a natural i use mild to medium protein weekly, and my hair is thriving. When I was relaxed I used heavier protein treatments to help rebuild my fine strands.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Are you natural or relaxed? I can't tell. Lol

I use hard proteins up to 4 weeks after a fresh relaxer. After that I use my mild protein conditioner with every wash.

Miss AJ

I color my hair (well I DID, I haven't used a permanent dye in 6 months and im still unsure on my next move) and I've been using heat more often so I definitely need the harder protein in addition to the lighter proteins in between. I always thought naturals didnt need protein and I ended up damaging my curl pattern just from brushing my hair into a bun once a day. Ever since then, protein has been my BFF and I've had no major issues.

niaelyse

Hard core protein (Aphogee 2 step) almost caused me to have a setback. Using a mild protein reconstructors every 2 weeks has really helped me in the past.

With that said, every head of hair is different.

nymane

I NEED a hard protein periodically to keep my highly porous hair in check and to "correct" chemical damage... my hair is a protein fiend

30something

Hard core protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step is the only protein treatment that is effective with keeping my hair strong and balancing moisture and protein in my hair. Everything else like aphogee 2 minute, ORS Pac, and many other mild to medium protein treatments in increments have never really been as effective.