When and why does our hair need a 'hard' protein treatment?

Channy31

My hair really loves protein. I use mild protein leave ins and mild protein conditioners and my hair feels great.

But something I'm still confused about is hard protein treatments, why do we need them?
Can't I just use mild protein conditioners more often?

What are some recommended hard protein treatments without nasty ingredients?

Thanks in advance!

Can't I just use mild protein conditioners more often?

For me, I wash my hair every week and do a mild protein treatment every week and that's enough but...

When i used to wash my hair really irregularly and i didn't do as many treatments, I used to do a hard treatment which was indigo, henna and my usual deep conditioner (AOGPB).

Otherwise, my hair gets limp and breaks really easily. :grin:

I also prefer frequent mild protein treatments.
Ive bought the hv methi tea 2 step set, I believe its a strong protein treatment. Haven't used it yet but hv aont never let me down yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using LHCF

I've been doing mild to light protein treatments regularly as well. I purchased Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment some time ago, but I have been too afraid to use it. I think the mild/light treatments are working for me

I suspect I need to use light protein DCs regularly as well. My breakage is constant. I can apply moisture in between washes I guess. I'm still learning after all these years. The day I don't have short pieces of hair in my tub would be amaaaazing!

Strong protein treatments are usually used to prep hair before or to restructure hair after chemical services like relaxers, bleaching etc. or as a periodic dose of protein if you dont use protein often. You can also do a strong treatment if your hair gets over very over moisturized. I was a big fan of strong treatments.

Having said that, echoing what others have said I now prefer weekly mild/med doses of protein, I find it to be a much more effective way of maintaining protein moisture balance.

my faves:
Aphogee 2 min
Joico k-pak reconstructor
TIGI dumb blonde

Last edited:
I used Aphogee 2-Step several years ago when I was experiencing uncontrollable breakage. My hair laughed at it.

I think cases like mine - where you're experiencing severe damage - are when you go for hard treatments like Aphogee. It also seems that chemically-treated hair (e.g., relaxed) can tolerate hard treatments.

I've been using light to moderate protein conditioners but I think I need something stronger. AO GPB is nice but it doesn't even feel like protein.

I just bought Komaza Care's hard protein strengthener and I'll give that a go soon, though I'm nervous because of the keratin (I've discovered that my hair can only tolerate so much keratin).

What constitutes a "hard" protein?

i use a reconstructing protien conditioner after every flat ironing. i think its what helps to revive my NG.

Thank you, so can I conclude I don't really need a hard protein treatment as long as I'm keeping up with my protein

I have never used a hard protein treatment. Mild to medium balanced protein conditioners do the work for me.

I just use ORS Replenishing Conditioner light protein conditioner mixed with one egg and EVOO.

I leave in on my hair in a plastic cap and a couple knit hats for an hr or so or under the hooded dryer for 15 min on medium heat.

I do this every Friday and it works just fine for me.

I just relaxed my natural hair about a month ago and did a hard protein mix between the steps of rinsing and neutralizing. I wanted to get that hard protein in the hair shaft while the pores were opened from the alkaline relaxer and it worked just fine.

I think it depends on your hair, as a relaxed head I used a light protein every week when I washed, that was fine...now that I'm transitioning I still use a light protein every wash but I do a hard protein every other month because I feel like my hair benifits for the extra boost of strength since I use heat to straighten more often...so again, I think it depends on your hair and what you do to it

i use protein (mostly aubreys gbp) pretty much every week and i still need hardcore protein every 4-6 weeks.

many of the products i use to moisturize and seal via the loco/loc method have varying types of protein whether its quinoa, silk, lupine,collagen,and/or wheat proteins.

hair loses protein everyday from exposure to the elements and protective styling doesn't change that. also it gets exposure to pollution.

everybodies hair is different and i saw a leap in hair retention when i added hardcore protein instead of focusing just on moisture.

komaza protein strengthener is a fave of mine and it can be left in like an overnight treatment...even though it dries crunchy it can be used every 2 wks if someone needed it or you could wait longer. the ingredients are better than aphogee.

its kinda hard to explain, when i do hardcore treatments, my curl definition is more pronounced and my cottony hair is less frizzy though i regularly pre-poo/dc.

I use a hard protein before putting in braids and after they are removed and after a perm. Other than that I like mostly moisture and light protein from time to time like Motionc CPR or ORS Mayo.

I use Aphogee two minute reconstructer weekly. My hair loves it! I ised the Aphogee two step once the week before my relaxer and i defenitly think it made a hudge difference! My hair always felt dry and stript after a relaxer and now it was... Uhm... Different. It felt stronger but not dry or stripped. Soft but not mushy ( don't even know if that's a word) anyhow, i liked it a lot! English is not my native language so please bare with me. I'm trying.

As a natural i use mild to medium protein weekly, and my hair is thriving. When I was relaxed I used heavier protein treatments to help rebuild my fine strands.

Are you natural or relaxed? I can't tell. Lol

I use hard proteins up to 4 weeks after a fresh relaxer. After that I use my mild protein conditioner with every wash.

I color my hair (well I DID, I haven't used a permanent dye in 6 months and im still unsure on my next move) and I've been using heat more often so I definitely need the harder protein in addition to the lighter proteins in between. I always thought naturals didnt need protein and I ended up damaging my curl pattern just from brushing my hair into a bun once a day. Ever since then, protein has been my BFF and I've had no major issues.

Hard core protein (Aphogee 2 step) almost caused me to have a setback. Using a mild protein reconstructors every 2 weeks has really helped me in the past.

With that said, every head of hair is different.

I NEED a hard protein periodically to keep my highly porous hair in check and to "correct" chemical damage... my hair is a protein fiend

Hard core protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step is the only protein treatment that is effective with keeping my hair strong and balancing moisture and protein in my hair. Everything else like aphogee 2 minute, ORS Pac, and many other mild to medium protein treatments in increments have never really been as effective.

Back