Who here does not use styling/leave in products?

Bubblingbrownshuga

I noticed my hair doesn't need styling products to hold my hair. For ex., my two strand twists. I was so heck-bent on using Aloe Vera gel or some other gel on my hair claiming it would hold it better and make my twistouts more defined. Not necessarily. I discovered just using some hair butter/cream/milk is all I need. No more piling on the products, just 'cause.

I also used to be so gong ho about leave ins b/c... it was said to be beneficial. Not necessarily to this, too.

A couple months ago, I finally weaned myself off of gel for my everyday wash 'n gos. I had been using a leave-in + gel since my BC (the 1st one). I would use either Lily of the Desert or FOTE. During the summer, my hair would be so dry by the end of the day. I didn't want to stop the gel usage because of whatever "hold factor" I wanted.

I finally decided to let go of the gel for a few days to see what happened. Instead of leave-in + gel, I used leave-in + castor oil, and what a difference! My hair wasn't dry by the end of the day; it was still soft and moisturized. AND I still had "hold." My hair held well on it's on without the gel. Since then, I only used gel to slick back my edges for a puff. And I think I only used it once or twice after a wash 'n go.

I did use FOTE for my twists, and I figured it was because it would hold the ends of my twists better (from unraveling). When my hair gets back to the length it was before, I'll try it without the gel to see if I get the same results.

Even though I weaned myself off of the need for daily gel, I don't think I'll be able to for-go the leave-in just yet. Giovanni Direct leave-in is my baby, and it is beneficial to my hair.

Back