Who here has an EXTREME combination hair type?

AvaSpeaks

I'm not hating, I just want to know if anybody here has some extreme combinations in their hair?

Like for example, I think I am 1a/3a/4a. Or I might be 1a/3c? I'm not sure, but that's a pretty weird combo.

I just want to know if I'm alone :ohwell:

nappity

You are not alone- my edges in the front are a 3 they dont need anything to lay down- the rest of my hair is a melange of 4's from A to Z . No lie. In my Fotki- you can see all the different textures when my hair is wet!

AvaSpeaks

Does anybody have like a combo that let say is, according to a certain website that will remain nameless, is not possible?

Like I was told that I couldn't be 1a with 4a or Type 1 anything if I had natural hair, simply because our hair texture doesn't come that fine and straight, naturally. Especially if I'm not mixed.

So does somebody have a combo like let's say; 2a/4b? or 3a/4b?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I don't have an extreme combination, but a young girl in my area does :yep:
Her hair is straight in the front and 3c curly in the back...it's such a hassle for her, I can tell! It must be really difficult to know how to cut hair like that, because the 3c hair shrinks so much and the straight hair just lays over it all limp...She wears it in a ponytail most of the time to disguise it.
It's pretty though, light blond and healthy. :)

And don't worry about what others say about what is possible or not - you know your hair better than anybody!

Evazhair

I say puhleeze to all of those hair typers who say such combinations don't exist.When they make those types of statements they lose credibility. If you pressed them on the issue, if they were credible, they would admit that it is more accurate to say that "Extreme "combos are rare, but don't exist? I have seen biracial children with such combinations usually with blonde or red hair, sometimes mixed with a brown. type 4 afro with very small sections of 2 or 1, I've seen it. Their often caucasian mothers are at a loss about what to do with it.I think we should use hair type to understand our own hair, not tell others what their hair is/isn't, clearly when we are not God or have the biological expertise to tell someone what is possible /not possible due to the expression of genes.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheleigh

Does anybody have like a combo that let say is, according to a certain website that will remain nameless, is not possible?

Like I was told that I couldn't be 1a with 4a or Type 1 anything if I had natural hair, simply because our hair texture doesn't come that fine and straight, naturally. Especially if I'm not mixed.

Well, it depends on how you look at the flawed hair typing chart. Andre seems to have created a chart that didn't include any afro type hair in types 1 or 2. As such, most black folks suggest they are 3b, 3c (made up by nc.com), 4a, or 4b.

I have long said that there are many black folks out there with seriously straight strands of natural hair. Even on my hair, some strands come out perfectly straight without any bends or zags. Some of the strands have a true spiral shape, a lot are irregular waves and valleys, and some are like a perfect O. I guess that technically, some people might categorize my super straight strands as "type 1" and the spiral strands as "type 3," but I prefer to call them 4a and 4b because I feel that really type 4 got the short end of the stick in the hair typing system, and that there are MANY more categories of type 4 hair than 4a and 4b. So it's more a matter of interpretation than anything.

Colliecole

Well, it depends on how you look at the flawed hair typing chart. Andre seems to have created a chart that didn't include any afro type hair in types 1 or 2. As such, most black folks suggest they are 3b, 3c (made up by nc.com), 4a, or 4b.

I have long said that there are many black folks out there with seriously straight strands of natural hair. Even on my hair, some strands come out perfectly straight without any bends or zags. Some of the strands have a true spiral shape, a lot are irregular waves and valleys, and some are like a perfect O. I guess that technically, some people might categorize my super straight strands as "type 1" and the spiral strands as "type 3," but I prefer to call them 4a and 4b because I feel that really type 4 got the short end of the stick in the hair typing system, and that there are MANY more categories of type 4 hair than 4a and 4b. So it's more a matter of interpretation than anything.

^^very true:yep:

I dont have an extrememe combination...3c on the sides/edges and back and 4a-b in the middle. Its annoying :ohwell:

PinkPeony

Let me agree to the bolded.
I have tiny waves that are more type 4 then 2 tough aswell as regular 4a.b hair and some type 3 aswell as type 4 ringlets.
Besides the missing defenitions for the various degress of curly,kinky or straightness of type 4 hair Andre's definition is also lacking curldefinition versus frizzyness or sleekness of the hair:yep:

SouthernTease

I don't like Andre's hair typing system
it is flawed.

I do have different hair textures: kinky in the crown area, curly
everywhere else, and wavy at the nape. I'm also transitioning,
so I have like 8" relaxed vs. 4" of natural hair.

cutiebe2

2a in the back
4a in the crown

it is realllyyy strange. Especially when I wear my hair in a ponytail because the top part of it will be really curly like an afro and the bottom is straight like I blowdried it:spinning:

youwillrise

i wouldnt call this "extreme" combination
but...

my hair is mostly 4a patterned, coarse textured

in the nape it's 3c patterned, semi-fine/semi-coarse textured
and up the middle of the back of my head
it's more like 3a or 3b patterned, fine textured

Suerte

I have a 2ab/4ab combo but it has the overall look and issues of 3b/3c. The area right smack dab in the middle of my head is nappy as I dunno what. Then some parts of my hair I can slick back with my hands and water. I have no idea what the heck happened in my DNA to cause this but it happened.

Once I started treating it as if it were all in the 3's things got better for me. I give it the moisture and TLC the 3s need and it behaves better now,