why are stylists so afraid of kinky hair?

nlamr2013

Ok so today I decided to let someone else do my hair because I did not really feel like it. So I realy just wanted a wash and set and refused to pay one of these over priced atlanta stylists 40+ dollars to do a wash and set. So I went to my local empire beauty school. Normally I only come here for a quick flatiron so I haven't really had experience with them setting my hair. So I get in the chair and this woman effs me up She is putting too much hair on the rollers not using enough tension and overall I could tell I was about to look a HAM. So I just had her take the magnetics out and now Im currently waiting for her tofinish someone elses hair to redo..mine. should I just keep doing my own sets and stop bring lazy, or dish out the $$ for an atl stylist who honestly might be exactly like this woman?

Anybody have any recs for a rollerset perso in atl??
Also shoud I just let her curl my hair with an iron so that I wont look a mess? Sigh!!!!!

Theresamonet

Because they don't know how to do kinky hair. They don't use kinky haired models in beauty school.

Even those that do know how to do kinky hair, don't want to spend the extra time that our hair takes to style.

westNDNbeauty

I went to my local Empire. Asked them if they could do the same to my hair. The uneasiness of the INSTRUCTOR and the fact that she made a comment about the texture of my hair turned my butt right around and out the door.

You'd think they'd be more accepting of kinky hair textures sitting in their chairs for the experience, but nope! Doesn't seem like many are willing to learn. They're only limiting themselves. Ah well.

niqu92

why dont you just go to a dominican salon? just ask them to rollerset but not to do a blow out after

growth2come

Because they don't know how to do kinky hair. They don't use kinky haired models in beauty school.

Even those that do know how to do kinky hair, don't want to spend the extra time that our hair takes to style.

I think its as simple as that. Most of them just dont know what to do with it. Most of them have been permed all their lives that even when they have trained to do hair its mostly done on permed or on caucasian hair.

BostonMaria

You're brave going to a beauty school. I'd be scared to let a student touch my hair.

I say learn how to do rollersets. Treat the salon visit as a special treat. You might have to do it a few times to perfect it, but you won't have to dish out $40 bucks or be at the mercy of an inexperienced stylist.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

koolkittychick

I agree with the other posters; most stylists, even the ones trained to do natural hair, do not want to take the time to detangle, comb and style it properly.

When I was natural a few years back, I made the mistake of going to a salon that supposedly "specialized" in natural hair. Turns out it was limited to dreads and braids only! The woman who was supposed to be doing my hair (I came in for some simple two-strand twists), washed my hair roughly, didn't condition it, then proceeded to rip out my wet hair with a rattail comb!!! I don't know why I didn't run screaming from the chair at that point, but I stayed put, and it took a year for me to recover from the damage she did to my hair in just a couple of hours. :ohwell:

naturalmanenyc

Because many stylist have no idea what the heck they are doing when it comes to kinky hair - even some of those who have kinky hair themselves.

I had a blowout & flat iron done at Hair Rules in NYC and the stylist was trying to comb my 4a hair from root to tip?!?! She had a gorgeous head of kinky hair so I was really shocked that she did not know how to manage my hair.

The last place that I would go for a wash & set (now that I am fully natural) is to a Dominican salon. I had far too many battles at Dominican salons during my transition to even consider using one.

My Friend

I wouldnt blame the students for not knowing :nono: Most models are relaxed or 1a-2b.

The reason stylists prefer not to style 4ish hair is because of the amount of time they have to invest. Stylists charge for their time and/or service.

A person that's running a business needs to determine how much time it will take to rollerset your hair, cost of products need, cost for dryer time, overall time client is in the salon, etc.

If your not willing to pay what the stylist charges, you may want to learn on Youtube how DIY.

naturalmanenyc

^^^ Sorry but that is BS. When I last had a rollerset (Dominican salon) it took the stylist about FIVE MINUTES longer to rollerset my natural hair than it took to rollerset my relaxed hair. In fact, the argument back and forth to get a stylist to rollerset my hair took longer than the rollerset itself. The woman who finally did my rollerset even commented that my hair was easy to do.

A member of this site was in the salon at the same time and witnessed that incident.

The products used were the same (although I brought my own) and dryer time was the same as with my relaxed hair.

If stylists would take the time out to learn to manage natural hair, and stop trying to OVERCHARGE just because of the texture, salons would not be losing so much business during these tough economic times.

My Friend

^^^^^Natural, maybe you misunderstood my point. Bottom line is YOU can't determine what a stylist should charge :nono: You can only determine what your willing to pay :yep:

My DH and I went out to dinner the other night. My DH ordered the Prime Rib al la carte, the cost.... $45 dollars. We could have gotten that same Prime Rib with sides across the street for less.

You pay for items based on your perceived value. Stylist charged for services based on their peceived value.

We already know that most things in the beauty industry are marked up 100%. We know conditioners, shampoo's, make up, etc cost pennies to produce from the major players in the market (P&G, Estee Lauder, etc) but we still buy them anyway:yep:

Last edited: