Why Do Lye Relaxers Leave You Underprocessed???

shunta

Hey ladies, I just switched from no lye to lye and Im noticing that my hair is not as straight as it was when I was relaxing with no lye. Im currently relaxed with Elasta QP lye in mild. Does anyone else have a similar experience???:confused: Do you think its just the brand of relaxer?

Catina72

Well it could be that you used Mild instead of Regular, did you smooth it or did you immediately wash out?? I was using Motions lye and I stayed underprocessed but I just relaxed on the 9th with Silk Elements regular and I am bone-straight. You may need to experiment or maybe no-lye was your best bet. Is there any reason you switched over since the no-lye gave you the results you are seeking?? Sorrry about the questions but trying to help:confused: ;)

shunta

Catina72 said:
Well it could be that you used Mild instead of Regular, did you smooth it or did you immediately wash out?? I was using Motions lye and I stayed underprocessed but I just relaxed on the 9th with Silk Elements regular and I am bone-straight. You may need to experiment or maybe no-lye was your best bet. Is there any reason you switched over since the no-lye gave you the results you are seeking?? Sorrry about the questions but trying to help:confused: ;)
No, its not too many questions. Im just glad you are trying to help me.:lol: Ok anyway, my stylist did smooth it and it was starting to burn after a short time. I was thinking as well that it could have been because it was a mild relaxer, but I wasnt sure. I switched because my hair was always dry and brittle; I was previously using Affirm sensitive scalp. I will never use that crap again by the way. Im gonna take your advice and try a regular next time, and I think it will be the Silk Elements because everyone here loves it from what I can see. So, are you happy with the results from Silk Elements? Was it a lye that you used? Thanks so much for tryin to help me :p

prettywhitty

I used a Silk Elements Lye mild, and it left a few parts underprocessed, so next time I'll use regular. BTW, it did not burn when I used it. HTH.

Catina72

shunta said:
No, its not too many questions. Im just glad you are trying to help me.:lol: Ok anyway, my stylist did smooth it and it was starting to burn after a short time. I was thinking as well that it could have been because it was a mild relaxer, but I wasnt sure. I switched because my hair was always dry and brittle; I was previously using Affirm sensitive scalp. I will never use that crap again by the way. Im gonna take your advice and try a regular next time, and I think it will be the Silk Elements because everyone here loves it from what I can see. So, are you happy with the results from Silk Elements? Was it a lye that you used? Thanks so much for tryin to help me :p

I actually used the Silk Elements lye in regular and it did burn but not until the smoothing part. I did wash out as soon as I felt the tingles start and I still got bone straight results, next time I may not smooth or maybe add coconut oil to the mix first. Good luck!

locabouthair

Hey ladies, I just switched from no lye to lye and Im noticing that my hair is not as straight as it was when I was relaxing with no lye. Im currently relaxed with Elasta QP lye in mild. Does anyone else have a similar experience???:confused: Do you think its just the brand of relaxer?

I notice this with my hair also. When I was younger I used cream of nature relaxer and my hair was straight. It wasn't until I started using lye relaxers that people started telling me that it didn't look like I wore a perm. people thought I wore a blow dry and press:ohwell:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I notice this with my hair also. When I was younger I used cream of nature relaxer and my hair was straight. It wasn't until I started using lye relaxers that people started telling me that it didn't look like I wore a perm. people thought I wore a blow dry and press:ohwell:

Same here!:yep: I guess I'm not relaxed bone straight after all...

pisceschica

It could be that maybe the mild doesn't work for your or the brand. Or (in my case too) lye just doesn't work for me. I have absolutely no problems with no-lye relaxers and nope I don't experience dryness. I just make sure to use a chelated shampoo to prevent calcium buildup.

Embyra

besides from bad application technique is there a chemical reason why lye would not get your hair as straight as no lye?
isnt no lye meant to not break down the hair as much as lye?:perplexed

shunemite

Idk, I use Mizani mild lye and my hair gets straight. But I feel it with my fingers to know that it's straight, and I always put more on than I think is necessary. I do know that lye has a higher pH than no-lye, so it burns faster. Burning doesn't mean your hair is done though. So I base my scalp really well, and leave the relaxer on for about 5 extra minutes due to the basing the scalp factor. Try a regular and see, coz mild has to be left on the hair for a very long time.

Yea.....Mizani got my hair bone straight, but at that time, I didn't want bone straight, because I couldn't do nothing with my hair, but wear it down.....but I started thinking.....if my hair is completely bone straight, doesn't that mean I can go a stretch longer since it will take longer to see new growth???? So I switch over to no lye cuz lye just got my hair way to straight(this is before I started thinking!) And now since I do no lye, my hair is left underprocess.....but I want it bone straight again.....so I don't know what to do myself, cuz I'm scared to switch over to lye again, cuz I don't know what the outcome would be......I would try regular or super(if you want) and if that doesn't work out then I would stretch for a while and then switch over to no lye if you want......that's what I'm going to do, I'm going to stretch for atleast 12 or 16 weeks and then maybe switch over to lye......but I'm not 100% sure.......HTH

BlackGeisha

i have this problem when my hair is wet the top half is puffy (lye) and the bottom half is straight from when i was using (no lye)

Kurlee

I have always heard that lye is harsher on the scalp but gentler on the hair while no-lye is harsher on the hair but gentler on the scalp. When I use to relax, no lye always got my hair straighter and damaged it more. Lye left my hair curlier and healthier. Back then, I didn't understand the difference between the two and just used whatever got my hair straight. If I were to relax now, I would definitely use lye over no lye.

*CherryPie*

I've switched from no lye to lye so many times and nothing bad has happened.

Yea.....Mizani got my hair bone straight, but at that time, I didn't want bone straight, because I couldn't do nothing with my hair, but wear it down.....but I started thinking.....if my hair is completely bone straight, doesn't that mean I can go a stretch longer since it will take longer to see new growth???? So I switch over to no lye cuz lye just got my hair way to straight(this is before I started thinking!) And now since I do no lye, my hair is left underprocess.....but I want it bone straight again.....so I don't know what to do myself, cuz I'm scared to switch over to lye again, cuz I don't know what the outcome would be......I would try regular or super(if you want) and if that doesn't work out then I would stretch for a while and then switch over to no lye if you want......that's what I'm going to do, I'm going to stretch for atleast 12 or 16 weeks and then maybe switch over to lye......but I'm not 100% sure.......HTH

lea86111

lye relaxers do not do jack for me! They look real good UNTIL i wash my hair and then it's all curly like i did a mild texlax. They leave your hair much softer than no lye relaxers though. No lyes leave my hair straighter but drier...

Crystalicequeen123

Hmmm...that's interesting, because LYE relaxers tend to get my hair straighter than NO LYE relaxers do. In fact, when I had NO LYE relaxers, my hair LOOKED thicker...but dry. :ohwell: But when I had the LYE relaxers my hair was moisturized and shiny, but looked thin. :ohwell:

I guess sometimes you can't win... :(

yardgirl

This thread is making me feel iffy. I'm touching up my edges and leaveout Friday night. It will be my first time using Mizani Butter Blends Lye. The last time I used Lye it was ORS and it was a disaster (self relaxed my entire head, never again). We'll see how it turns out.

gadgetdiva

I've used Lye and No-Lye and didn't notice a difference because I was wearing my hair short and slicked down while using a lye perm...

lana

This is why I texlax instead of fully relax and yes I use Lye.

I used to use no-lye because I had a sensitive scalp but it made my hair Dryer than dirt.

So now I use Lye and I have noticeably different moisturized texlaxed hair. I always base my scalp since Lye is harsher on the scalp, but it's sooo much better for the hair. Also Lye relaxers process faster than no lye because of the higher ph. So I learned to apply it faster and I use more for better coverage. I speed through applying it and make sure that I never ever ever scratch my scalp two days prior to texlaxing.

I haven't had a scalp burn yet since switching to Lye from no-lye. I also stretched 3 months before making the switch.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was using a lye relaxer, my hair was never strait. I did not appreciate it then, but I wish I stuck with it. I could've have the best of both worlds.

theoneandonly

When I was relaxed. motions never got my hair straight neither, no matter how long I left it on.LOL. I thought I was the only one.

Destiny9109

Bumping. I want to go back to Mizani bb lye, but it always left me underprocessed. I heard the original Mizani relaxer gets hair straighter. Has anyone used it?