why does NOTHING hold down my edges?!? (rant)

monie20032007

I Swear I can load on all kinds of gel and put scarves on but even that doesnt tame these dang edges from hell!! i am transitioning and its really hard to just do a simple bun w/o my edges frizzing up. Ok im done:yawn:

Any other suggestions will be good

I'm transitioning and I've had a rough time with my edges along the way. Each time my edges were completely out of control it was because of a product I was using. It took me a while to figure this out; I thought my edges were unruly for no reason.

I've learned that my hair has to stay moisturized for my edges to look neat. My edges always look great after I've deep conditioned under the dryer for 30 minutes. As a matter of fact, I deep conditioned Sunday and when my coworker saw me Monday she asked me if I'd gotten a relaxer because my edges were so smooth.

My hair hates glycerin/products with glycerin as one of the top ingredients. My hair will get frizzy and look a HAM until I wash it again.

Pay close attention to your conditioners and leave-ins because no amount of gel will tame your edges if you're using the wrong shampoos and conditioners. I went out and bought Salerm 21 and my edges got so bad that my head looked like I was wearing a mini afro in the front :blush:. Nothing helped - not gel, pomade, castor oil - Nothing! I had to trace my steps and figure out that Salerm 21 is not my friend.

My hair hates grease and will go apesh!t if I use it. It gets hard, frizzy and ooc.

Moisture, the right conditioners and natural products like shea butter, vatika oil and castor oil work to keep my hair looking nice, edges included.

Oh yeah, my hair loves Elasta QP gel, but hates Fantasia gels. Experiment to find out what works well with your hair.

I am only 5-weeks post, but using Elasta QP Glaze followed by Clear Gel (without alcohol), and that seals my edges real good. If you need moisture, you could apply Murray's Beeswax first, then apply the EQPG.

HTH

when i want my edges smooth, i wet it, apply gel, brush with a boar brush and tie it with a silk scarf overnight. They are smooth in the morning.

My edges stay smooth with just some moist., oil and a scarf.
I agree with the previous poster to experiment with what works for you.

For stubborn edges this is what I do (my hair in natural by the way): Take just a smidge of either beeswax, very hard petroleum (Murray's etc) or Dax gel (which is a combo of gel and petroleum/beeswax), emulsify between your fingers until smoothish and lightly put it on your edges and smooth with fingers. then tie a scarf tightly around your head about your eyebrows and then push the scarf back a few inches in the front which will push the hair back forcing it to lay down. leave it tied on your head for about 15 minutes or overnight if you wish. your hair will be LAYIN' when you take it off. for even greater edges SLIGHTLY dampen your edges with a few drops of water, then dry your fingers and emulsify one of the items above and repeat what I said above. it really works. it makes my 4b hair look like it's 3a-ish at times.

I Swear I can load on all kinds of gel and put scarves on but even that doesnt tame these dang edges from hell!! i am transitioning and its really hard to just do a simple bun w/o my edges frizzing up. Ok im done:yawn:

Any other suggestions will be good

your edges are from the motherland...not from hell. :grin:

I'm 10 months post. Nothing works for my edges unless it's a day after dcing. I've always known that my hair hates glycerin early on in the transitioning process. But I use all natural products like shea butter, castor oil and aloe gel. I love these products but they do nothing but make my edges spring into curly qs. It's so frustrating.

I'm transitioning and I've had a rough time with my edges along the way. Each time my edges were completely out of control it was because of a product I was using. It took me a while to figure this out; I thought my edges were unruly for no reason.

I've learned that my hair has to stay moisturized for my edges to look neat. My edges always look great after I've deep conditioned under the dryer for 30 minutes. As a matter of fact, I deep conditioned Sunday and when my coworker saw me Monday she asked me if I'd gotten a relaxer because my edges were so smooth.

My hair hates glycerin/products with glycerin as one of the top ingredients. My hair will get frizzy and look a HAM until I wash it again.

Pay close attention to your conditioners and leave-ins because no amount of gel will tame your edges if you're using the wrong shampoos and conditioners. I went out and bought Salerm 21 and my edges got so bad that my head looked like I was wearing a mini afro in the front :blush:. Nothing helped - not gel, pomade, castor oil - Nothing! I had to trace my steps and figure out that Salerm 21 is not my friend.

My hair hates grease and will go apesh!t if I use it. It gets hard, frizzy and ooc.

Moisture, the right conditioners and natural products like shea butter, vatika oil and castor oil work to keep my hair looking nice, edges included.

Oh yeah, my hair loves Elasta QP gel, but hates Fantasia gels. Experiment to find out what works well with your hair.

Back