why hair dry after moisturizing?

coolsista-paris

Hello, im trying my best to get the good routine and care for my hair to make to my goal...

there are lots of things im still learning after 3 years of being natural.

i pre poo my hair with oil, wash my hair with shampoo, deep condition it, when i finish all that i dry but leave it damp so i then add my mix of shea butter with oil.

Ive read on internet that shea butter and some oils may cover the hair but not penetrate it.

By the way the problem is the next day, its seems ok...BUT THE ENDS FEEL DRY,BRITTLE, AND BREAK. (ime never gonna get anywhere with this problem).

so should i try coconut oil that penetrates the shaft like eve read everywhere??

then on top of that seal with the shea mix? or this is too much??

Im very lost now. after taking over 3 hours on my wash day i end up the next day with some breakage!!!!!so fustrating.:nono:

*CherryPie*

Shea butter, and anything with shea butter in it dries my hair out!

I don't have any regimen advice. I just wanted to put that out there. Maybe try doing everything EXCEPT THE SHEA PRODUCTS and see what happens.

MsLauren

im have a hard time trying to find a GOOD moisturizer for my dry hair too!!
bumping for answers.....

Pompous Blue

What deep conditioner(s) are you using?
How long do you leave it in?
You do not use a leave-in conditioner before applying the shea butter mix?

I'm 4C natural with fine hair, medium density.

I DC once or twice a week for 20 - 30 minutes under my steamer.
I rinse and do a final apple cider vinegar rinse.
I apply a leave-in conditioner.
And then twist or braid my hair with a gel.

Some leave-in conditioners I'm fond of are:
Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner (You can use this as a deep conditioner and leave-in conditioner; some people co-wash with it, also)
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
and the list goes on and on.

I also seal my ends with a butter mix or an oil.

The next day the length of my hair and the ends are moist and supple.

My hair stays moisturized for 2 - 3 days using this method.

By the way, my hair does not like coconut oil by itself. It’s drying on my hair.

Harina

Oyin Handmade Hair Dew

I also seal my ends with a butter mix or an oil.

By the way, my hair does not like coconut oil by itself. It’s drying on my hair.

I have been hearing so much about this Hair Dew! I will definitely be getting it when I take out my braids.

So you don't seal the entire length of your hair, just your ends?

Especiallly in the winter time, coconut oil is terrible for me because it hardens.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I agree that you should add a moisturizer to your hair before sealing with your oil or butter. Put moisture in then use the oils to lock it in. Moisturizers can be your leave in conditioners, or creamy moisturizers like Elasta QP Mango butter, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk and Qhemets has great moisturizers also. I seal the entire length of my hair but focus on the ends.

curlyninjagirl

It sounds like you're using shea butter and oil as your moisturizer. Although, I've seen this method work for some, these are considered things you use to seal your leave-in moisturizer. I've tried this before and it leaves my hair incredibly dry and greasy.

Your best bet is to find a leave-conditioner of some sort and moisturize daily. I find that, for me, creamy works best. I make a spritz using aubrey organics conditioner and water. I've tried a lot of other leave-ins but this has left me with moisturized ends for the longest amount of time (24 hours as opposed to 4).

Don't forget, that everything evaporates. That includes oils, water, leave-ins---so that's why it's important to moisturize daily. And if you can keep your ends tucked away, that's even better. HTH.

Last edited:

Pompous Blue

I have been hearing so much about this Hair Dew! I will definitely be getting it when I take out my braids.

So you don't seal the entire length of your hair, just your ends?

Especiallly in the winter time, coconut oil is terrible for me because it hardens.
Harina

I hear oyinhandmade.com has changed the ingredients in the Hair Dew. I still have about 4 bottles of the old formula. The ingredients on my bottles are: purified water, castor oil, olive oil, organic aloe vera gel, behentrimonium methosulfate (emulsifier) coconut oil, olive squalane (olea europa), optiphen (preservative) cetyl alcohol and love! I love this formula and wonder what they could have done to improve it.

And, no, I don’t seal the entire length of my hair; just the ends. Haven’t suffered any ill effects from doing it this way. I tried to seal the entire length with butters and would always be left with greasy hair and it seemed to make my hair shrink throughout the day. The leave-ins I use keep the length very well moisturized.

Starting with my next wash/style, I’m using the broccoli seed oil and sapote oil to seal the ends and length. The broccoli seed oil acts like a silicone and the sapote oil is suppose to be very moisturizing. Both are suppose to absorb quickly and not leave a greasy film.

I may apply the broccoli seed oil to the length of my hair since it’s suppose to act like a silicone.

I live in Northwest Florida and it's just starting to get cold and since I work inside and outside, I'm looking for another way to protect my hair from the elements.

LovelyNaps26

rather than specific products i've learned that certain ingredients help my hair retain moisture. based on that i get products that have those ingredients at the top of their list.

my hair loves:

aloe vera gel and castor oil.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I agree with everyone else; you need a water based moisturizer before your shea mix, or eliminate the shea altogether.

Shea doesn't work for everyone... so you'll have to experiment with various products. The only shea butter based moisturizer can use is Oyin's Whipped Pudding. It's a water based cream.

ms.blue

I never understood how shea butter is a moisturizer, I always though it as a sealent. Try aplying a water based moisturizer and sealing the hair w/ shea butter to see if that would help.

westNDNbeauty

As many of the ladies here have mentioned, you definitely need to experiment with other products. Maybe your hair is not a fan of shea. Try other butters over a water-based moisturizer.

For me, when I finally found a product that moisturized (taliah waajid protective mist bodfier) they changed the formula and that formula resulted in dry, brittle hair. It took another 6 months and a number of trials of different products to find the next product that I've now been using for the last 7 months. That product happens to be Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee.

I say all this to say coolsista-paris, keep trying different products. That's the best advice to finding something that works for your hair.

yuhlovevybz

Shea butter and oil are not moisturizers. You leave your hair damp before you put these things in, you're locking in that tiny bit of moisture. I'd recommend putting a simple leave in on soaking hair and see how your hair reacts. A lot of the time less is more. I found that thick products like shea butter or using only oils caused my hair to break too. You probably have to experiment, but try one thing at a time. By process of elimination you'll find what works in a snap.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Shea is good for the hair BUT it builds up on hair, especially when applied in a leave-in fashion (rather than a rinse out product like a shampoo or conditioner). You'll need a really deep cleansing of your hair to get all that shea off. In the future, apply your shea butter less frequently and lightly. :up:

Embyra

^^agree with the build up its very waxy i know sheabutter is meant to be the natural girls THING but its too sticky for me

Agree about the water based product before u apply shea :yep:

southerncitygirl

i use qb amla and olive heavy cream followed by my own oil mix (evoo, evco, castor, kukui and meadowfoam) to seal. coconut oil is too light for winter try a mix of olive and or castor with any other oils you like. my hair stays moist until wash day but times i do it another 2 times anyhow. the qb heavy cream & my oil mix corrected my dryness issue in about 2 weeks and 3-4 uses.

pure shea doesn't work for many on this board they generally have to whip it with other oils/butters.

Nonie

OP, shea butter and oils have never made my hair feels soft. S Curl alone (nothing more to seal or whatever) and baggying nightly gives me soft hair for days. I know I make people sick singing this song but I know too many people who read my suggestions in this thread and have never looked back.

I didn't learn about S Curl from naturals but from someone who was relaxed. I find products folks insist are for natural hair never worked for me (Creme of Nature Shampoo, Shea Butter, Oils, Castile Soap :nono: ). So sometimes you have to go out on a limb and be different to find out what will work for you. Insanity is to keep doing the same thing expecting different results. If shea and oils make your hair hard, throw them out and try something else. S Curl can be found in just about any store/pharmacy so if I were you, I'd give it a try since it doesn't take much to get your hands on it...and it does not need daily application. Please read that thread to understand why your hair might feel hard depending on how you use it and how to change that. I usually have soft hair when nothing is on it. I never knew I could have soft hair when something was on it until I tried S Curl. Also it doesn't feel greasy or gross; doesn't leave marks on furniture like other greasy leave-ins might.

If you have porous hair, then you may need to introduce Roux Porosity Control to your regimen to help seal your strands so you don't lose moisture first. But yes, first try using something with MOISTURE (read: water) and then see if your hair doesn't stay soft with just one application.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

wyldcurlz i forgot that add that Nonie always speaks of maintaining a dusting/trimming schedule and i'm inclined to agree. every 3-4 months trimming off anywhere 1/8-1/2 an inch will keep your hair for being tangly as well. when i stay on stop of moisture and protein but realize detangling takes a bit more effort, i realize that its trim/dusting time. curly hairs love to wrap around each other so keeping these suckers stretched helps a great deal. keeping your hair in twists could be an option as well cause its low manipulation for a minimum of 1-3 weeks at a time before you would have to redo them. i want to let someone do mine a couple of times this year. i can't be bothered with spending 3hrs+ doing hair.

Embyra

(Creme of Nature Shampoo, Shea Butter, Oils, Castile Soap :nono: ).

Nonie I was soooo excited to try the argan con shampoo after the rave reviews while it cleanses my hair the frizz im left with and i also find it quite stripping most said hair feel like you dont need a conditioner NOT I :nono::lol:

springy_curly

Try using a good clarifying shampoo on your next wash day. This will remove any build up you may have. Then follow some of the advice the other ladies have given you. No one can tell you exactly what will work for your hair it's all trial and error.

One thing is for sure, oil can't moisturize hair, it can only seal in moisture. Whenever you add oil your hair should already be at an acceptable moisture level or slightly damp. when you add oil to dry hair the slight improvement you might feel is just the improved slip the oil is providing, not improved moisture.

I like using castor oil mixed with a lighter oil like olive oil. This leaves my hair very moisturized.

Nonie

@Embyra, tell me about it! I haven't tried the Argan one, but I do remember that when using CON shampoo, my hair felt slippery and nice while I had it on, but when I rinsed, I was left with hair that felt like it was coated with sap. Then it'd dry hard and rough. Instead of the softness I know to be characteristic of my bare hair, it'd be like it had a coating of something that made it feel like a brush. It also gave my hair a grayish hue. :nono: I don't get that with any Giovanni 50:50, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, Garnier Fructis...etc.

Last edited:

Embyra

Nonie eeeeww at the grey tinge hell no!!!:nono: the argan one is apparently more cleansing than the original one you tried more squeak squeak lol but yeah that bottle will be going to a friend :look: :lol:

davisbr88

Check to see if your DC has cones, too. Your hair might not like cones. I know some people have success with it, but cones dry my hair out from blocking out all that moisture.

Bublin

@Nonie I was soooo excited to try the argan con shampoo after the rave reviews while it cleanses my hair the frizz im left with and i also find it quite stripping most said hair feel like you dont need a conditioner NOT I :nono::lol:

I love that shampoo!

coolsista-paris

thank you to all of you.
I thought my hair was moisturized as after shampoing i leave it a bit wet then add oil.So if i understand well, this means i have to add moisture (like my s crul spray) after shampoo, then add the oil on top? right?

i need to try lots and lots of stuff.

Nonie

coolsista-paris, I do not use anything after S Curl. I suggest you try w/o using anything and see. Remember if you apply it to damp hair (if you read the thread I linked to, you'd know this) it will dry up hard. So you just need to reapply to the dry hair and you should have your hair soft and nicely moisturized. At night just braid it before bed and then baggy...and in the morning take baggy off, let it dry some if you don't like shrinkage then undo the braids and style. If you don't mind shrinkage, you can undo and comb while still damp.