Why is it taking forever for forums to load?

Misshairdiva

i have problems with pages loading but also my computer now freezes when i use this site...and when i decide to give up and just close out the lhcf i get disconnected from the internet in general..all my other websites close up...but it only happens when i visit this website..

Ok, I thought something was wrong with my computer... but I am having the SAME ISSUES!! My computer freezes and I have to shut down everything when I visit this site. Today I was able to get through but that was after several tries. And when it freezes you have to shut everything down

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
OMG I clicked on a thread in the hair forum lastnight...... I fell asleep waiting for the page to load...I woke up this morning and it was still frozen in the same way it was before I fell asleep.... and I am not exaggerating. Even opening this thread took about 10 minutes.

It is extremely frustration trying to see anything on this forum. I'm going to open with chrome to see if that makes any difference. But IE is definitelyy a NO-GO

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Frustration isn't the word. I'm getting angry because I have to keep stopping and refreshing the pages and it still doesn't always work. I was hoping this would be fixed by now. Something is obviously trying to load on each page that's slowing things down. This is getting ridiculous.

I got no patience...... and I hate waiting.... >:-(

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Out of curiosity, are you all using Internet Explorer when you notice the slowing down?

The site itself has been optimized to such an extent that the loading times have been slashed to half. We use a content delivery network for static files, cache data, the works.

Google's webmaster tools reported a load time of 9 seconds before the upgrade and now we are at 6 on the first page and 2.5 on a refresh.

So when I read that you have problems I don't know what to assume. Don't get me wrong, I do believe you it's just that I never experienced such a thing.

It is however interesting what Val wrote so I am wondering if this has to do with Internet Explorer. If it does there are two solutions

1. Install Google Frame in Internet Explorer (a simple plugin)
2. Change the browser you are using.

I know this is not something that people want to read but I have very little evidence (if any) to try and find the error which might very well be browser related.

Kiki0130

Ok, so I've stayed away because of the slow
transitions between pages and the starkness of
the color of the screen.

But...

I took Nikos's advice and snuck in through Google
Chrome and the pages are loading fast like I have
a brand new computer! The whiteness of the board
is not as taxing on my eyes because I'm not caught
staring at the screen for what seems like an eternity
with Internet Explorer.

The trick will be to remember to switch to Chrome
before I even click the link in my IE favorites folder
and the problem will be solved :yep:

(I'm actually finding the Google Chrome is faster for
every other site I'm viewing. Don't know why I've been so
stuck on IE while my 11 year old has abandoned it
for Chrome ages ago LOL)

Last edited:

civic4800

Yes, I'm using Internet Explorer and the site doesn't load or it freezes. I switched to Safari but that sucks cuz IE is my main browser.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Out of curiosity, are you all using Internet Explorer when you notice the slowing down?

The site itself has been optimized to such an extent that the loading times have been slashed to half. We use a content delivery network for static files, cache data, the works.

Google's webmaster tools reported a load time of 9 seconds before the upgrade and now we are at 6 on the first page and 2.5 on a refresh.

So when I read that you have problems I don't know what to assume. Don't get me wrong, I do believe you it's just that I never experienced such a thing.

It is however interesting what Val wrote so I am wondering if this has to do with Internet Explorer. If it does there are two solutions

1. Install Google Frame in Internet Explorer (a simple plugin)
2. Change the browser you are using.

I know this is not something that people want to read but I have very little evidence (if any) to try and find the error which might very well be browser related.

Hi Nikos,

I'm using IE and I can't change the browser since I'm on here mostly from my work PC. I'm not sure if we are allowed to install Google Frame (this is the first time hearing of that plug-in). I heard of Google Chrome, which I don't believe we can install here anyway, but not Frame. I will wait until I go home to try it to see if that improves things and provide an update.

And the problem is the same using my cell phone also so I really don't know what to do with that.

Thanks!

imaccami

It's sooo slow for me too. I've been just hoping that when the upgrade is finished on the 30th that it would go back to normal, but it looks like we're supposed to change our browsers instead?

Just a tip for others like me using IE, if you wait until it freezes, click the stop icon and it will take you to the page you're trying to load. You can't click stop too early, but when it freezes and doesn't seem like it's doing anything, you can click stop and it will take you to the page.

Last edited:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
The problem with Internet Explorer is that I am not the one developing it - it is as we all know Microsoft. Now IE for whatever reason has been notoriously bad at following web standards. There are tons of websites that are dedicated on trying to 'fix' things that do not work on IE but work on every other browser you can find.

I have checked all the javascript that runs on this site, all the images, ads etc. the works. I haven't been able to find anything that would make the site appear slow. The benchmarks which are taken daily report decrease in loading time by 40% so that is perfect.

However, something happens with IE that I do not know. That something freezes your browser and makes things slow. An idea was to switch off the compatibility view of IE (for those that have IE7+) as well as the phishing filter. Now I know that the phishing filter is not a good idea to be off, but if you temporarily switch it off and see speed increase then you know what the problem is.

I will keep monitoring this, and hopefully we will get to the bottom of this for all.

Thanks for the feedback.

imaccami

I just got home and signed on and it's loading so fast now! I don't know what happened, but it's great!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
@dimopoulos - I logged on from home last night and the website appeared to run fine so I didn't install Google Chrome or anything. I'm using IE8 and Norton at home. I can't remember if it was really slow at home before though.

I'm at work again and we run McAfee and unfortunately, IE7 is our standard and I'm having the problem again. I cannot install Google Chrome here. I did notice that almost everytime I have a problem going to a page I see the same address appear at the bottom of the screen trying to download. Some kind of ad trying to load for Target maybe???

I'm attaching a screenprint of the address that appears at the bottom of the status bar. Is there a way to look into whether this particular ad could be corrupt or something?

Thanks!

Here is a copy of the address that appears in case you can't read the screenprint.
http://csvta.target.com/tgttckda/td...644432&CreateID=37931261&dcid=919032756229374

Attachments

• Target Address.jpg
    Target Address.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

imaccami

Sometimes it runs fast, sometimes it's so slow.

I've noticed that when it's slow something about target appears at the bottom of the screen. It says something like target.cvsta. It's actually a lot longer than that but I haven't been able to copy down exactly what it says.

Or else it says "done" or "http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum.php" and just stays on that page and never loads up the new one. If I click the stop icon, the new page will come up right away.

Nikos mentioned blocking Target, but for some reason that domain is still causing problems for me. And even when I don't see target in the address at the bottom it still runs very slow sometimes. I can't figure out why it's fast occasionally and so slow most of the time.

Platinum

It's moving slower than ever for me now.:wallbash::wallbash: It wasn't this slow a few weeks ago. I think I'm going to try Google Chrome to see if that helps.

Kiki0130

Yep, Platinum, I tried IE again and still had the slow issue. I'm using Google Chrome almost exclusively now. Much faster ;-)

Platinum

Yep, Platinum, I tried IE again and still had the slow issue. I'm using Google Chrome almost exclusively now. Much faster ;-)

IE isn't allowing me to download Google Chrome.:wallbash::wallbash: I've tried turning off my firewall to download the program but it's not working.:angry2::computer: I want to enjoy LHCF like everyone else :fan: without having to wait for the pages to load.

Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
The forum has been loading much faster and the freezing seems to have stopped. I said earlier how we can't load Chrome or anything else and we're stuck with IE7. However, I noticed in the past couple of days it's much better, not 100% but workable. I don't see that Target address trying to load anymore.

Thanks!!

SelfStyled

Thanks for all that mentioned Google Chrome because it is not something I would have even thought of. I downloaded it and LHCF runs so much faster now. I never use IE for LHCF anymore.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
It's very slow for me too... and when I click on the arrow next to a thread, the page doesn't jump to the last read post as it should, but to the first post on the first page.
Very annoying.

Sometimes I have to refresh pages to even be able to read them.

I use Google Chrome.