Why is that Most Black hair stylists Hair is not on Point?

virgo_chinwe

To me it just makes sense for your own her to be a reflection of your work. I mean your clients' hair may be stunner but shouldn't the hair stylists hair be stunna too?? I just got hair my relaxed on friday by a hair dresser who was highly reccommend with 18 years of experience, but first look at her and I was like....she is going to touch my hair? My hair came out well...but I am still contemplating if it was worth running a toll and the stress of a hour plus drive to get there....lol..long story. Any of you ladies with similiar experience.....that feel me on this?

beyondcute

*sigh* From the few Ive asked... we never have time... I can hook some braids up but I never take the time to do my own and when I do they look nice but I leave them in forever cuz Im lazy... Besides no one is paying me to do my own hair :look:

seeminglysweet

My hair dresser of 13 years has always had a jacked up weave...always. But she is on point as a stylist and she can do some weaves. She does make people nervous who come in to have a consultation because they think if her hair looks like that then I dont want my hair looking like that. But she doesnt do her own weaves. She usually has whatever new assistant she has hired do her weaves for her so that she can see what skill level they are at and be able to work with them on getting stronger in their weak areas, etc.

sareca

I never asked one, but I've always assumed by the time they're done with all those heads the last thing they want is to do their own. :ohwell:

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Most of the one's I've asked say they don't have the time, or they let family members with no experience do it. My stylist wears a waist length wavy blond weave that could be blended better, but she can make anybody else's weave look like their own hair.

Another stylist in the shop hair is always on point, but she can never keep clients for more than 2 touch ups because she always messes their hair up.

lsubabiedee

my momma used to say "If the stylist's hair looks too good, it means that she has too much free time and no customers because she can't do hair." lol

funny tho, b/c the one stylist she's been going to for a few years has her hair always looking nice.

ultrasuede

If the stylist is competent and in demand she more than likely wouldn't have time to do her own hair. I usually see stylists doing other stylists hair when the shop is geting ready to close.

dynamic1

Any stylist I hired has always had great looking hair. It may be various lengths, colors, and sometimes weave, but always together. Maybe that is why I have no hairdresser horror stories! (A little drama with some assistants but that was easily resolved) Most of them went to other stylists if they did not have time to do there own hair. Additionally, they were always very stylish and well put together.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
lsubabiedee said:
my momma used to say "If the stylist's hair looks too good, it means that she has too much free time and no customers because she can't do hair." lol

funny tho, b/c the one stylist she's been going to for a few years has her hair always looking nice.

LOL...my mom's theory was that they do each others hair. She would always one the one with the worse looking hair to do hers... :lol:

Dannygirl

i mean who would want to do your own hair after fooling around with other peoples hair for 10 odd hours somtimes?:ohwell:

not me..

nicki6

sareca said:
I never asked one, but I've always assumed by the time they're done with all those heads the last thing they want is to do their own. :ohwell:

This has been my opinion for a long time. Its also been my experience that the worse a stylist looks, the better they did my hair:rofl:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
sareca said:

I was thinking the same thing :yep:

Chinagem

My stylist's hair is always on point. Well, there was this one time I walked in on her and she had on a hat but that was once in 2 years. Anywho, the other women that work in her shop also always have nice hair. In fact, they do each other's hair. The other two stylists that I've had have always had nice hair when I saw them too. Even the "round the way" girls that do hair on the side have always had their hair done. I guess it just depends on where you are from? I don't know.

bluediamond0829

my stylist hair is nice..i mean she has shoulder length jet black hair....the one's that ive went to in the past has kept themselves up also....my mom's theory is that why would you want to go to someone that doesnt take and put care in herself and has the nerves to do other people's hair....going to someone that doesnt seem to keep their hair up or doesnt look the part makes me nervous....

PaperClip

Well, I don't think it's "most" black hair stylists.... Every hairdresser that's EVER had their hands in my hair, their hair always looked nice, whether it was natural or relaxed, had weaves/tracks or a short 'do....

And here's the thing: maybe A LOT of these stylists who CONTINUE to have clientele DESPITE the way their hair looks, I blame their clients, not the stylist.... It's called "BUYER BEWARE".

neonbright

nicki6 said:
This has been my opinion for a long time. Its also been my experience that the worse a stylist looks, the better they did my hair:rofl:

I feel the same way and I can understand why their hair looks that way. When I get throught, cleaning, washing, working full time and doing my daughter hair. I put mines on the back burner, and have to carify and dc to get mines looking great and I will be up to the wee hours in the morning...:lachen:

~Nigeria~

Every AA stylist I've been to have had beautiful hair, whether ear length or bra-strap. Their manes are always on point including my current stylist. I'm sorry but if your hair looks like sh*t, your not touching mine. If you can't take car of your own hair, I know you wont take care of mine.

Blackbird77

beyondcute said:
*sigh* From the few Ive asked... we never have time... I can hook some braids up but I never take the time to do my own and when I do they look nice but I leave them in forever cuz Im lazy... Besides no one is paying me to do my own hair :look:

I beg to differ on that stylist's comment. A stylist's hair is her advertisement. It's her commercial. When she shows her clients what she does with her own hair, the money will follow as she will get more clients. So people are paying her to do her own hair.:p

caribeandiva

Human being
i feel ya on this one. if a stylist has damaged hair i usually think twice before letting them touch my hair. i had a discussion like this at work 2 days ago. one of coworkers started talking about my hair, again. she insists my hair won't grow cause i wash it too much (washing your hair's natural oils away) and i quote: "black people were not meant to have long hair. you're not white". when i protested she called her sister, a stylist, and her sister confirmed her same answers. I told her that most stylist were taught to style hair not care for it. she insists the 2 are the same thing. i resisted the urge to ask her what her sister's hair look like cause i have a feeling what the answer is already.

Sistaslick

To me, there is a difference between damaged and disheveled.

If her hair is DAMAGED, then I would steer clear. Disheveled, then no-- I wouldn't turn her down just because of that.

I have a cousin who does hair and her own hair is absolutely amazing-- but from the way it looks at the shop and occasionally at home, you'd never know it. She usually has some kind of 2 week old, worn out, fuzzy rollerset pinned into a clump at the top of her head with random curls falling out of the clip.:look: But on Sunday morning-- her jet black, waistlength mane comes out and hands won't stay out of it. She has the most beautiful head of hair I have ever seen in my life. She may not have her hair on point 24/7-- but we know what she's working with.:lol: That sista has no problem keeping the chairs in her salon filled.