Why the heck is Ateya ripping out her hair like this?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I *CRINGED* watching this!!

ETA: She blow dryed, flat ironed, THEN hot curled!! Yikes!! That same regimen is why my hair stayed SL for years on end! :spinning:

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

oooh-oh........lol

I just hate she hooks it up! lol.... so much body, tons of heat, ends up with the swang swang

then throws a plastic wig on top (of flawless hair):blush::blush::blush:

but she's definitely still my favorite

Dposh167

what the heck is smuve complexions?

eta: oh okay i see. that's her channel name. But why smuve? smuuhv?:lol:

~~HoneyComb~~

From what I've seen and heard about Ateeya, she does things HER way--and for her, it works.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I was frowning at the way she added her product (leave in) too. Mostly on the front and back without any consideration for the middle. It might have helped her while she was strangling, er, detangling her hair.

SimpleKomplexity

I didn't think it was THAT bad. I wouldn't comb like that but different strokes for different folks. I didn't see any hair on the comb...some people hair can just take that... And with that beating she gives her hair with all that heat...he hair must be special. But I just hope everyone who watches her channel doesn't try that same mess. They're gonna have the nickname Patches in 6 months if they do.

KurlyNinja

naturalmanenyc

At about 3 minutes in and 3:50 in she seems to have ripped out a decent amount of hair. It did not sound like shed hair.:perplexed

I think most people who have been relaxed the majority of their life comb from root to tip, even their new growth, such that their hair is ripped out. I was one of those people. I had to learn to comb my hair from the bottom up.

I find it interesting that she believes that she needs to press her hair 3 times per section to get it straight, although she is already relaxed and has blown out her hair with a comb attachment.

I only have to flat iron my natural hair with 1 pass per section for a straight look and that is without doing a bone straight blow out first.

The ripping starts at 2:00 :blush:

YouTube - Ateyaaa's Channel

*low voice* i thought she knew better :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Charz

Sinister Minister
To answer the title thread question, because it is her hair and she can do whatever she wants to it...

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I didn't think it was THAT bad. I wouldn't comb like that but different strokes for different folks. I didn't see any hair on the comb...some people hair can just take that... And with that beating she gives her hair with all that heat...he hair must be special. But I just hope everyone who watches her channel doesn't try that same mess. They're gonna have the nickname Patches in 6 months if they do.

LOL, i would definitely have patches if i did this to my hair! i have to comb my hair so slow!!! im talking SLLLowwww becuase i just die if i hear one hair break! but i really like ateya, i can follow her hair care but not this part of it:rolleyes:

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Ateya's hair can handle all kinds of crazy stuff. I would have bald patches. I still luv me some Ateya:lol:

loshed

Despite all the crazy stuff she does to her hair it still looks beautiful. But yeah, I don't understand why she did all that just to put on a wig. How often does she wear her hair out?

Lovelylife

To answer the title thread question, because it is her hair and she can do whatever she wants to it...
But she's supposed to be an example to other people.

I watched some of the video, it's good that she's teaching people how to stretch their relaxers for long periods of time. It kind of makes up for the crazy combing.
I still don't understand how she is able to get so much movement. It's amazing!

Last edited:

TrueToHair

the way she says 'thick' just annoys me

A lot of the comments underneath have the same issue. Not only is it self-deprecating, but she acts like there thick, afrocentric hair is such a "problem." It's barely a step up from saying "good hair/bad hair." I wish she didn't do that either.

TrueToHair

Maybe she'd have a lot more hair at the end of the day if she combed it differently, lol. I think she should try it for a few months and compare the difference. She might just be shocked. :)

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I used to comb my hair like that in-between getting relaxers and every time I went back to the salon to get my touch up the relaxed hair was see through because most of it broke off at the demarcation line. :perplexed
I cringed when I heard her hair starting to break off, but it's her hair. She'll figure it out sooner or later. :drunk:

She is an example, an example does not have to be good. She isn't Mother Teresa or something, she is just a woman on Youtube who shows what works for HER.
I just want to add that she has said that she does what works for HER. Everythang aint for everybody.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
So... I just watched the whole thing... I'm kinda P.O'd she did all of that just to put on a wig.

She did it to show people her regimen. She is getting paid to show from her channel. I like her. She seems like she down to earth even though she gets horrible comments on U tube. Just do what she does, but not how she do... We know to comb from root to tip.:rolleyes:

ctosha

Wow! I'm not even going to criticize b/c I know better of how to handle my hair so if it work for her and she don't mind all that broken/shed neither do I.

qchelle

Disclaimer: I don't follow her at all, but have heard good things about her.

Well, I hope she learns how to properly detangle curly/kinky/nappy hair without making such comments and sighs of frustration before she has daughters:ohwell:

ETA: oh yeah, her hair turned out real good.

Kneechay

I never really comment on Ateyaa threads because I'm so confused as to why people care so much about what this specific woman does to her hair.

I also don't understand why folks are explaining what THEY do to their own hair different from Ateyaa as if THEIR methods are the "correct" way. One thing I learned from LHCF was that different things work for different people. If one pass works for you, cool, if three works for her, cool. Both of y'all are getting your desired results and are happy, right?

If there is a gripe with her methods, let her continue. It doesn't take away from YOUR own hair.

The only thing that is a little ehhh was her making it seem as though the 'thick'-ness of her hair is so undesirable. But whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.