WIG CHALLENGE for 2007

CurliDiva

I'm going STRONG - I plan to reach full APL by Decemcber! I was to get extreme with care your my hair especially ends! :grin:

Jenaee

Got a new wig yall :yay: I really like it. It's my 1st non-black one. It's by Vanessa called La Apple. It's supposed to be a half wig but fits me like a full. Here's a pic. Just wanted to share.

Last edited:

mscocoface

Got a new wig yall :yay: I really like it. It's my 1st non-black one. It's by Vanessa called La Apple. It's supposed to be a half wig but fits me like a full. Here's a pic. Just wanted to share.

Now why you gotta be all up in here showing this fierce looking wig, which looks absolutely diva on you girl!:grin:

I will not go look for this wig, I will not go look for this wig, I will not go look for this wig. No you are not going to ask her where she got this from, no you are not going to ask her where she got this from:lick:....Oh dear:drunk:

Bublin

Do any of you use the combs in the half wigs or do you remove them? If you do remove them, can you tell me how and how you then secure the wig to your hair.

fiercediva

I'm really enjoying this wig challenge, i've found so many great styles, so I'll never be bored. My only concern is the wigs that I'm wearing have the combs that are attached to the wig. I worried that the comb constantly pulling through my hair will cause breakage. Does anyone else have this concern? does anyone have a solution to prevent breakage.

Thanks

TRYING2GROW

I'm really enjoying this wig challenge, i've found so many great styles, so I'll never be bored. My only concern is the wigs that I'm wearing have the combs that are attached to the wig. I worried that the comb constantly pulling through my hair will cause breakage. Does anyone else have this concern? does anyone have a solution to prevent breakage.

Thanks

Put castor oil on the combs, everytime u put the wig on

MJ

Do any of you use the combs in the half wigs or do you remove them? If you do remove them, can you tell me how and how you then secure the wig to your hair.

My Monday-Friday wig have combs in it. I didn't take them out. For the first few weeks I'd used the combs to secure the wig to my head and applied castor oil to them before putting it on. Howver, my hair still started to look thin where the comb was secured. So I then decided to just leave the combs in and put the wig on as I would a hat. I don't have anything securing it. I've been doing this for about four weeks.

My update:

This is my ninth week in this challenge. I wear a wig to work during the weekdays and sometimes on the weekend. I take my wig off immediately when I enter my home. For some reason, I don't like wearing a wig inside my house. Does any else experience this?

I plan on continuing with this challenge through the end of the year and the winter months. However, I would really like to keep doing this challenge through May 9, 2007 - 10 months (44 weeks total; 35 to go! :yay:).

Last edited:

CurliDiva

I just cut the combs out and I guess my head is so BIG that the wig stays in place without any pins! :grin:

I'm thinking about getting a shorter style or maybe a differnt color this winter! I want something to shake up my style mojo- but I get great responses from my long ringlet curly type wigs.:rolleyes:

Jenaee

Thank you ladies for your compliments. I was feeling a lil nervous about wearing an all color wig. I normally wear 1b or a 1b mix. But I've gotten compliments on it. :grin:

CurliDiva

I need to buy a new wig this weekend - this one is going ragged!

The funny thing is the less prefect it looks the more people think it is my real hair! :rolleyes: hmm........

The Savvy Sistah

I've been wearing wigs many years now and I want to be on this challenge.

I like wigs better than weaves because I love to wash and condition my hair. I use to wear weaves all the time and I have never achieved the kind of growth that I have from wearing a wig.

I cut all the combs out and use bobbi pins in a "twist method" and it locks the wig in place.

On occassions when I had room mates for my job (up to 10 days) I would make a braid around the hairline and sew it in and just wrap it and put on a scarf and they never new my secret.

Anytime I want straight or curly hair, I just grab my 3/4 or full wig and go. This is me in two of my favorite wigs.

Attachments

• headshot red.jpg
    headshot red.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Head shot curly hair.jpg
    Head shot curly hair.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

MJ

I like wigs better than weaves because I love to wash and condition my hair. I use to wear weaves all the time and I have never achieved the kind of growth that I have from wearing a wig.

I cut all the combs out and use bobbi pins in a "twist method" and it locks the wig in place.

On occassions when I had room mates for my job (up to 10 days) I would make a braid around the hairline and sew it in and just wrap it and put on a scarf and they never new my secret.

Anytime I want straight or curly hair, I just grab my 3/4 or full wig and go. This is me in two of my favorite wigs.

I'd checked out your pics before reading all of your post and thought those were pics of your before and after you'd transitioned. I'd have never thought those were wigs if you hadn't said so.:yep:

CurliDiva

Hey Savvy Sistah

Both styles look great but the curly one looks like your REAL hair!

I want details: what wig brand? style name? the color?

TIA, Curli

Healthb4Length

The curly wig is cute!! I'm not able to wear my wig because it does not fitmy big head:ohwell::grin: . I went through so much drama getting it now this, I'll be putting it up for sale in the exchange forum...

I think I may do better with 3/4 wigs since I got a big head and all...We'll see.

shirah

I would also like to join even though the year is almost up. I just joined the forums yesterday and am already a wig wearer so I am hoping with a good hair care regimen I will be able to see some growth by dec 30th.

CurliDiva

I would also like to join even though the year is almost up. I just joined the forums yesterday and am already a wig wearer so I am hoping with a good hair care regimen I will be able to see some growth by dec 30th.

Welcome Shirah! :yep:

BklynHeart

Savy, is the curly one a full wig? If so, what brand is that? I gotta bite that one!:grin:

MJ

My 16th week! :yay:

I'm doing well. I had my hair cornrowed with extensions while I was on vacation and wore my hair that way for 10 days. Now I've returned and I'm wearing those cornrows under my wig. I hope to keep them in for the next 8 weeks... We'll see. I've updated my hair goals (see siggy) and plan on wearing wigs through July 2008 (one year). At that time, I'll probably take a break and put in some kinky twists.

CurliDiva

My 16th week! :yay:

I'm doing well. I had my hair cornrowed with extensions while I was on vacation and wore my hair that way for 10 days. Now I've returned and I'm wearing those cornrows under my wig. I hope to keep them in for the next 8 weeks... We'll see. I've updated my hair goals (see siggy) and plan on wearing wigs through July 2008 (one year). At that time, I'll probably take a break and put in some kinky twists.

Hope you had a great vacation!

This sounds like a solid goal. Whenever I get bored with wigs, I just focus on my longterm goals and know that it is working!

Good luck, CurliDiva

gabulldawg

I would LOVE to join this challenge!! However, I am still trying to find a realistic looking wig that's not too full. I'm trying to appease my SO and also not look like I'm wearing fake hair. I had bought one wig (in my fotki), but he doesn't like it and I feel so self-conscious when I wear it. So, if anyone has any suggestions on where to find a realistic looking wig, i'm all in! THANKS!

loved

Realistic Wigs

I would LOVE to join this challenge!! However, I am still trying to find a realistic looking wig that's not too full. I'm trying to appease my SO and also not look like I'm wearing fake hair. I had bought one wig (in my fotki), but he doesn't like it and I feel so self-conscious when I wear it. So, if anyone has any suggestions on where to find a realistic looking wig, i'm all in! THANKS!

Ditto. I purchased my first wig (Freetress - Dallas Girl) last month, but I'm really uncomfortable w/ the look. I cut it, thinned it, and put baby powder on it, but it still feels wiggy. I wear it to work, but I take if off as soon as my car leaves the parking lot. Hoping yall can offer some more realistic looking wig options

gabulldawg

Re: Realistic Wigs

Ditto. I purchased my first wig (Freetress - Dallas Girl) last month, but I'm really uncomfortable w/ the look. I cut it, thinned it, and put baby powder on it, but it still feels wiggy. I wear it to work, but I take if off as soon as my car leaves the parking lot. Hoping yall can offer some more realistic looking wig options

Loved (or anyone else who knows), how did you thin your wig? That may help me be more comfortable with mine. I have those thinning scissors that look like it has a comb or something on it, but I have no idea how to use them!

Anyway, i saw some nice wigs from katourline, but I don't think I can afford those prices!! :sad: I think the quality looks great, though. Definitely those are the type of wigs I am interested in.

gabulldawg

Okay, I THINK I found a realistic looking wig that's actually just about my exact length and color! I haven' taken any pics of myself in it yet, since I just took my braids out. It's actually a human hair wig from a company called Miz and the name of the style is H-BRAVO. It seriously reminds me exactly of my hair a few years ago when I had cut some bangs for myself. I plan on sweeping the bangs to the sides of my face. I plan on testing it out before I officially join the challenge. I also need to see if it gets my SO's seal of approval. :yawn: He's being more understanding since I expressed to him that I am wearing the wig to grow my hair and not as something to wear permanently. I will make sure to let you guys know when I post pics of my new wig in my fotki! :grin: