WIG CHALLENGE for 2007

MJ

I'm joining this challenge today:). I've been watching and reading the posts here for a few weeks now. I bought a wig this past weekend and I wore it for the first time today. I look FIERCE (so "that girl" :D).

Underneath the wig, I have cornrows with extensions that were done 2 weeks ago. They are too fuzzy to wear out now. I plan on keeping this set of cornrows for another 8 weeks (total 10 weeks). I will moisturize daily and deep condition at least once each week.

My goal is the follow in Laketta, Meaganita, and Curlyj's footsteps and wear wigs until I achieve healthy bra strap length hair (2-3 more years --> June 2009/2010).

Last edited:

maleucia

I might as well join this challenge also since it coincides with everything else I'm doing!

I bought three, but this is the main wig. I got it in black for a color change and I :love: it. It is thinned out at the top and it has material sewn in to look like your scalp is showing through the part. I told a coworker I was wearing one (she thought I dyed it) and she didn't believe me at first because she "saw scalp." :lol:

Last edited:

MJ

maleucia said:
I might as well join this challenge also since it coincides with everything else I'm doing!

I bought three, but this is the main wig, the one I'm wearing in my siggy. I got it in black for a color change and I :love: it. It is thinned out at the top and it has material sewn in to look like your scalp is showing through the part. I told a coworker I was wearing one (she thought I dyed it) and she didn't believe me at first because she "saw scalp." :lol:

I love that wig. I plan on getting it and another this weekend :).

How do you thin out a wig?

InNeedofHairapy

ok...I've worn falls when I had straight hair, but right now I have nearly 4 inches of new growth, and am transitioning. I called myself trying to buy a WIG to cover up ALL my hair...but my dern head is too big...lol..it's ok, you can laugh too. I don't know what else to do.

I cut my APL hair to neck length and will continue cutting as my new hair comes in until I'm all natural...but I don't like my hair short, I don't like the two textures, and I don't want to use heat.

can anyone recommend big head wigs for a Queen Dome-ala such as myself?

CurliDiva

InNeedofHairapy said:
ok...I've worn falls when I had straight hair, but right now I have nearly 4 inches of new growth, and am transitioning. I called myself trying to buy a WIG to cover up ALL my hair...but my dern head is too big...lol..it's ok, you can laugh too. I don't know what else to do.

I cut my APL hair to neck length and will continue cutting as my new hair comes in until I'm all natural...but I don't like my hair short, I don't like the two textures, and I don't want to use heat.

can anyone recommend big head wigs for a Queen Dome-ala such as myself?[/quote]

Hi InNeedofHairapy,

How are you wearing your hair under the wig? Maybe your natural hair is not laying as flat as possible? :confused:

InNeedofHairapy

CurliDiva said:
InNeedofHairapy said:

can anyone recommend big head wigs for a Queen Dome-ala such as myself?[/quote]

Hi InNeedofHairapy,

How are you wearing your hair under the wig? Maybe your natural hair is not laying as flat as possible? :confused:

NOpe, I just have a big head:lol:

Well, I did just have it pulled back in a bun. It was bushy from detangling since I was about to wash it, and it could have also been the brand. The Sensattionel and Fretress full caps fit better, but this particular brand was NOT a go :lachen: It was not a brand I'd ever heard of, but the style was so cute, I couldn't resist. I'll next time actually TRY these things on, and have my hair closer to my scalp.

Healthb4Length

Well I finally got my wig from Katour after 6 weeks...they HEARD from me...believe that. Right now I'm in my frohawk and I can't try the wig. If it doesn't fit I'll just sell it. The wig looks ok and its not too shiny. I'll update y'all.

maleucia

InNeedofHairapy said:
NOpe, I just have a big head:lol:

So do I! I've given up hope of ever finding a wig to completely cover my head. I've got this Freetress full cap and it's not completely on all the way, my sides by my ears are exposed as is about 1/2 inch in the front. But because of the black wig cap and the way the hair falls, it's not that noticeable. All my wigs have bangs because of my big head problem:look:

And thanks for the welcome CurliDiva:)

MonaRae

Add me to the list! I started yesterday (07.30.07) and I'm loving it! I need to gain some length and give my hair a much needed rest. A wig is the best solution for me right now.

bluediamond0829

I'm joining this challenge today:). I've been watching and reading the posts here for a few weeks now. I bought a wig this past weekend and I wore it for the first time today. I look FIERCE (so "that girl" :D).

Underneath the wig, I have cornrows with extensions that were done 2 weeks ago. They are too fuzzy to wear out now. I plan on keeping this set of cornrows for another 8 weeks (total 10 weeks). I will moisturize daily and deep condition at least once each week.

My goal is the follow in Laketta, Meaganita, and Curlyj's footsteps and wear wigs until I achieve healthy bra strap length hair (2-3 more years --> June 2009/2010).

have this wig also...in different colors..very nice to wear...i just wore it actually today on a interview...

MJ

have this wig also...in different colors..very nice to wear...i just wore it actually today on a interview...

I plan to get another in 1B today :grin:. I'm still wearing the first one -- this is the fourth week. I also bought another 1B/30 (still in the box) to replace this one when it's used up. I plan to wear the 1B color in the winter and late fall.

I'm still going strong on this wig challenge. I'm really enjoying myself. I rotate between two wigs: I wear the one mentioned before to work, and I have a short one that I wear when playing netball and on the weekends. I have a third wig, a curly one, that I plan to wear if I have to go somewhere formal. I'm really happy with my progress.:afro::yep:

MJ

Today marks one month since I've joined this challenge. I'm really enjoying myself.:grin:

TRINITY05

It has been 2 months for me. I went out yesterday looking for a new one and I am not finding anything I like in the stores.
What is everyone wearing underneath their wigs?

CurliDiva

I've been wearing a plastic cap for the last few weeks - even with these 100-degreee temps. :yep: Since I near AC most of the time, it has worked fine.

maleucia

I've been wearing a do-rag. I've been thinking about wearing a plastic cap under the rag. I was wearing a nylon wig cap until I noticed I now have evenly short edges in the front :ohwell:

CurliDiva

I've been wearing a do-rag. I've been thinking about wearing a plastic cap under the rag. I was wearing a nylon wig cap until I noticed I now have evenly short edges in the front :ohwell:

Hi Maleucia,

The plastic cap works so well! I thoguht it would be too hot - but I don't feel it.

I just twist the excess and tuck it under so the cap is not puffy and just put on my wig and go. My hair stay moist all day - my only pet peeve was when I apply too much product and I got the drippies. :spinning: But now I just lightly spray with leave-in in the morning and it is prefect.

curlyj

i'm so happy to hear all of you ladies are doing well on this challenge...
i've personally been on this challenge for 1.5years and I have a WHOLE new head because of it. its the best...
being able to do treatments, protect and all the while not sacrificing too much of your style.
as natural i do feel weird about wearing a wig...
especially when i get the COMMENTS...
but I just smile inside b/c OH! when I let it loose.....my hair, that is...

my plan was to my hair out come Sept. but in the last 3 weeks I rcvd another blessing - in the tune of a 4/5 of an inch...

Good luck to you ladies...

*Also a note to the lovely fine hair ladies...keep on this challenge and you can leave the club- i dont know what it is but the thickness that comes from castor oil and being fully protected for a good amount of time-but trust me...you can achieve a new head. I did!

MJ

i'm so happy to hear all of you ladies are doing well on this challenge...
i've personally been on this challenge for 1.5years and I have a WHOLE new head because of it. its the best...
being able to do treatments, protect and all the while not sacrificing too much of your style.
as natural i do feel weird about wearing a wig...
especially when i get the COMMENTS...
but I just smile inside b/c OH! when I let it loose.....my hair, that is...

my plan was to my hair out come Sept. but in the last 3 weeks I rcvd another blessing - in the tune of a 4/5 of an inch...

Good luck to you ladies...

*Also a note to the lovely fine hair ladies...keep on this challenge and you can leave the club- i dont know what it is but the thickness that comes from castor oil and being fully protected for a good amount of time-but trust me...you can achieve a new head. I did!

I believe you :yep:. Thanks for the well wishes. You are one of my inspirations to join this challenge (see original post).:sunshine:

MJ

Hmm :ohwell:. I noticed this as well. Mine looks like a halo from ear to ear. I'm going to buy a doo rag and see if that works. I tried using my satin scarf before, but it wasn't as comfortable and it slipped.

ETA: I bought a do-rag and have been wearing for two days now. So far, so good :yep:.

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
Ok, i have plans to join this cause my hair needs a serious vacation. I just have a few questions

Which do you prefer synthetic or human?

Which one holds up better? looks more natural?

What is your favorite brand of wigs

CurliDiva

Ok, i have plans to join this cause my hair needs a serious vacation. I just have a few questions

Welcome Wildchild!

Either I go for style.

Both will stay if properly handled, but synthetic is cheaper!

Vanessa and Freetress

Jetblackhair

:) I know there are lots of WIG (i.e. Lace Front, Instant Weave, Falls) wearers out there…

Would anyone like to join me in a WIG CHALLENGE for 2007? There is just one simple rule – a full or half cap WIG- is your protective style of CHOICE.

Let’s share our WIG regimens, product suggestions, any tips for styling.

Here are some of my favorite WIG Tips:

• Take care of your real hair underneath the WIG – this is a prefect opportunity to wash, condition, or do all of the great treatments or techniques without sacrificing a day-to-day look
  • Treat your wig as gently as you would your REAL hair – this reinforces how I need to handle my hair once it reaches my length goals.
  • Buy a wig head to help the hair keep its shape- don’t be afraid to comb or restyle the hair.
  • Wash and condition the wig based brand directions - use warm to cool water, light conditioner, let air dry before combing.
  • Pick a style and color that is flattering and that you are COMFORTABLE wearing (BSL may be your ultimate length goal, but if BSL wig is going to make you self conscious pick another style).
  • Customize the WIG as much as possible- thin out the hair, shift the bangs, add some layers, change the part, etc. (you don’t want to look just like the mannequin)
  • Decide how to best attach the WIG – I personally just remove any combs and just wear WIG over my wig cap, but some use pins, sew in, or use tape or glue.
Ok ladies… I decided to wear full cap Instant Weaves until I reach my second length goal of APL since this seems to be a critical stage to prevent my ends.

Here is a how-to-guide of how to put on an Instant Weave.

Anybody else interested??????

Hey Curlidiva, I would like to officially join this challenge. Well, actually I have been wearing the half wig for a while now so it should be quite easy for me. I just bought another quick weave and it's curly which is a nice change for me.

Jetblackhair

Welcome JetBlackHair! :grin:

What's your wig routine? Any tips to share?

Hey Curlidiva. My routine is that I will shampoo my hair once a week. After deep conditioning, I put in my leave-in conditioner, moisturizer and sealant. I also use BT or the Revitalizing Balm. I braid my hair in about 6 plaits, but lately I've been putting in twists. I let my hair air day and that's it. The next day I wear my half wig.

I just bought a curly half wig so that I don't have to bother with trying to match my natural hair with a straight hair half wig. I only keep out about 1/2 inch of my hair out in the front. Sometimes I wear a hair band around the front so that I won't have to expose any of my hair.

I take the wig off once I'm home and I will moisturize and seal before I go to bed. And of course I tie my hair up in my scarf.

I usually buy synthetic half wigs and they can last up to a month or so. For some reason the human hair half wigs don't hold up as well and they cost more. They tend to dry out or lose their shape or I have to spend too much time grooming.

This routine works great for me while I'm trying to achieve my goal.:yep:

WhipEffectz1

I fell off this challenge for a minute but now I'm about to get back on track in anticipation of the holiday season in December. I think I might be alternating between full and half wigs.