Wig tips?

butterfly_wings

I'm thinking of getting a wig as I'm getting bored of buns but I still want to do my protective styling. Can anyone offer me some advice on wigs, how to choose them, how to put them on, care for them etc

Many thanks

Make sure you use a satin wave cap rather than the nylon cap they give you with the wig. I find that the wave cap is less drying and easier on the hair. Good luck!

Ditto on the satin.

I have to add, I WISH I'd cut out the little combs the wigs come with and used pins to put them on, as was suggested by one wise LHCF member (sorry don't recall her name). I didn't do it, and my hairline got eaten alive. Now I'm off wigs for a hot minute and doing buns.

Go into the store and try on a few just to get a feel for what you like. Then...DON'T BUY ANY!
Especially if you are not used to wearing wigs. Give yourself a chance to think it over before you make a purchase you will regret.

Check out hairsisters.com. They have reviews on their wigs. See what things other people liked and disliked about the wigs.

Find a "brand" that you like. Now I almost exclusively buy from a few brands that I have tried and tested over the years. I know what I am getting and the product is consistent.

Please don't sleep in your wig. It will look tore up from the floor up after awhile. Have you ever seen someone in a BUSTED wig? They slept in it and it totally messes up the hair.
HTH.

Go into the store and try on a few just to get a feel for what you like. Then...DON'T BUY ANY!
Especially if you are not used to wearing wigs. Give yourself a chance to think it over before you make a purchase you will regret.

Check out hairsisters.com. They have reviews on their wigs. See what things other people liked and disliked about the wigs.

Find a "brand" that you like. Now I almost exclusively buy from a few brands that I have tried and tested over the years. I know what I am getting and the product is consistent.

Please don't sleep in your wig. It will look tore up from the floor up after awhile. Have you ever seen someone in a BUSTED wig? They slept in it and it totally messes up the hair.
HTH.

OMG! Are people sleeping in wigs!!! :blush: WHY would you do that? :spinning: I think that's one of the craziest things I've ever heard! Of course it would mess the wig up in a fast hurry.

Now that I think about it, though, I bet there are women fronting like thier wig is thier own real hair, and when they have a "sleepover" :grin: they keep the wig on to preserve the sexy.

Yeah, not a good plan.

ITA that Hairsisters.com is a great site to buy wigs from. 90% of my wigs are from there.

Im not even gonna lie..I slept in my wig a few times. And it was to "preserve my sexy" during "sleepovers". And both he and I know it aint my real hair but I aint going to bed looking jacked up or gonna "take my hair off" before trying to be grown and sexy.

Even though me and my current SO been dating for 3 years I still wouldnt take the wig off in front of him.

I used to sleep in mine when I was at a 'sleepover' and was too tired to take it off. Sometimes I would take it off and lay it on the pillow between the both of us.

Ok so since you guys bought it up, and this IS the wig tips thread.... How would you feel if your SO tried to like stroke your hair during your sleep overs? Like lets say you kiss and they go to touch your head, do you like push the hand away? :look: Aren't you afraid that it will come off? I'd feel so self conscious. But I've been curious about perhaps sporting a wig for some change and fun.

Ok so since you guys bought it up, and this IS the wig tips thread.... How would you feel if your SO tried to like stroke your hair during your sleep overs? Like lets say you kiss and they go to touch your head, do you like push the hand away? :look: Aren't you afraid that it will come off? I'd feel so self conscious. But I've been curious about perhaps sporting a wig for some change and fun.

I make sure to secure my wig with about 15-20 bobby pins and that usually keeps it on tight. But SO knows better if its not my hair. I would just tell him not to touch the hair..

Back