WINTER 2011 STEAM CHALLENGE !!!

Vintageglam

Haven't seen a Steaming Challenge for 2011 just yet so thought I would start one :grin: I am hijacking the old thread info (thanks MzTeaze) :wave:

This challenge will run from the 2nd January 2011 until the 31 March 2011.

LAST DATE TO ADD CHALLENGERS WILL BE SUNDAY 16TH JANUARY 2011 IN ORDER TO KEEP THIS CHALLENGE CONSISTENT AND ACCOUNTABLE. WE WANT BEAUTIFUL SHINY MOISTURE FILLED LOCKS !!!

So, some are asking, "What's the big deal??" Well, here are some of the benefits of steaming.

Benefits of Steam Treatments

- ZERO TANGLES and NO POOF.

According to Diane DeCosta and many others the benefits of steam conditioning are the following:
- Better Circulation in Scalp leading to better hair growth
- Cleanses Scalp, removing dirt and dead skin
- Brings moisture to your Roots and hair shaft
- Leaves your hair soft and smooth
- Great for Dandruff Sufferers
- Stops Dryness and Hair Breakage by outer layer of the hair shaft with moisture, allowing the conditioner to penetrate deeply into the cuticle layer.
- Makes hair stronger and healthier
- Improves Hair Color Treatments
- Can also act as a Facial Steamer
- It is especially good for those with locs, natural hair, and color-treated hair
- Helps Seal in Moisture to help reduce breakage (MANY ladies complain about ENDLESS Dryness on their Tresses)
- Helps with reversion on natural hair.... The cuticle is already swollen with moisture.
- Hair feels SILKY smooth - and "hangs" with weight.
DID I say - It promotes GROWTH?????

The largest benefits for me....
NO POOF in humidity
NO tangles in the final rinse.
NO Dryness - even after a flat iron attacked me, there is no need for a baggy, etc after this, even days later

What methods of steaming should be used:

1) Tabletop or Floor steamers

There are lots of different models. I ordered my steamer off of Amazon, eBay, Salons-R-us, REM, Aphrodite starting from £70/ £125. A floor steamer looks like this:

Table top steamers are convenient for those with limited space. One such type of steamer (although there are others) is the Huetiful Steamer. Currently the price for these seem to be around $120 or the Aphrodite Table Top for about £90 (more or less).

Whichever one you choose, please do your homework. Many require the use of distilled water or at least filtered water which limits the build up of minerals on the internal mechanical parts.

2) Homemade Steaming Methods – for those who do not have a steamer, yet.:

a) Hot Towel Method – Check out this website, there are pics too: How to do the Towel Method
or go to YouTube and check for “Baggy Method” or Steam Towel.

b) Facial Steamer conversion – To be added. Some have purchased a less expensive facial steamer for use on their hair. Need help locating the methods tho.

How long and often should it be used?

This is a very common question and if very specific to the type of hair treatment you are doing and the level of damage your hair has.
Generally people steam their hair no more than 2 times in a week for about 20 to 30 minutes to get the full benefit from it. Some sessions can go over an hour for more damaged hair.
After your hair steamer treatment your hair will feel a little heavier and full of moisture, during this time handle your hair with care , wait till your hair and scalp have cooled down for styling.
Damaged Hair - Increase Temperature Decrease Steam if possible
Chemicals or Color Treatment - Skip cooling step
Conditioning Thick Hair - Extend Steam Time

Some examples of times for different hair types, these times are very short they can just be extended just times it by 3 or 4
For all Hair Types - Moderate Mist and Temperature , 8 minutes warm and 2 minutes cool down
Hair Products that Absorb Slowly - Low Mist and Moderate Temperature , 10 minutes warm and 2 minutes cool down
(this section from this website: Hair Steamer Treatment, Setup and Benefits )

How to prepare the hair for Steaming:

Basically, I wash (poo) my hair, add oil (JBCO & Vatika) and my favorite moisturizing conditioner. Others use a protein conditioner or just plain oils of their choice under the steamer. Experiment with what works for you! I recently read someone used it as a method of getting that nasty cigarette smell out of their hair after a night out. She set under for about 10 minutes or so and was happy with the results. Ideally Steamers are best used with moisturising conditioners or those that are balanced moisture and protein wise.

*WARNING*

Consider your hair Type and routine - You don't want SETBACKS!!!!
If you are natural - Please let us know..... Naturals tend to need a bit more moisture than Relaxed, as the relaxed girls - may not only need moisture - but protein - and lotssss of it. Again - you must consider your hair type, regimen, etc....

OVER MOISTURIZING can lead to other problems - so tread carefully. Some have found success with weekly or bi-weekly steaming. Others find it successful enough with less frequent steaming. PLEASE do what works for your hair. Its best to err on the side of caution and start slowly to see how your hair reacts.

You can do any style ( Blow dry, Flat iron, Twists, shingling, and the like )with this treatment.....I usually only do this on SHAMPOOED hair... - so - post poo..
Every style will be supple - soft - and frizz will be dramatically reduced....

Even those with Braids can do this!!!

RULES & Tools:
here is what you need:
- Steamer or the home grown steam treatment!
- Favourite DC

If you would like to be added to this challenge please provide the following info:

Name
Natural or relaxed
How frequently will you steam your hair
Starting length
The Benefits you hope to achieve for you hair with steaming
What Method you will be using to steam

CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! Please post a starting pic no later than the Sunday 16 th January 2011 and then a final pic no later than Sunday the 10th April 2011. We want to see the beauty !!!

Talk to us about how your hair feels in b/t treats!!!Dont Skip this!!!
You may steam with DC's - Hot oils, etc... Let us know!

AFTER STEAMING allow your hair to cool down for 10-15 minutes or spray your hair with cold water - To seal your Cuticle - VERY important!

This will last 3 months.....January 3rd 2011 until - March 31 2011.
We will party after this!!!

Lets get this show on the road !!!

Here are more threads about Steam................

hair steamers - who has one?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...09#post4215709

coconut & Lime - Plus Steam - Relaxer Results- PICS

Does steaming protect natural hair from humidity frizz?

Challengers:
:gorgeous:PositivelyRadiant
:gorgeous:akimat001
:gorgeous:Rossy2010

Last edited:

Vintageglam

I'll start :grin:

Name
PositivelyRaidant

Natural or relaxed
Natural 4a/b

Once a week when I DC. I may up that to 2x a week if the UK winter continues to be so harsh :yep:

Starting length
Layered Ear and Neck length

Soft, moisture filled bouncy kinks and curls (esp my ends) which I hope will aid retention.
Deep cleansing of my scalp which will aid growth.
In general beautiful healthy hair. :gorgeous:

Steaming Method

My beloved stand up floor REM Salon steamer. :cloud9:

Last edited:

SunySydeofLyfe

Name Amikat001
Natural or relaxed Texlaxed, more underprocessed than anything, first virgin creamy crack application in 2 years
How frequently will you steam your hair 1x a week with a pre-poo mix - 1x a week with a DC
Starting length SL
The Benefits you hope to achieve for you hair with steaming moisture retention, stretch the life of my curly extensions
floor steamer from Salons R Us

Starting Picture in siggy

alive

Positively Radiant, did we have one of these last year? i wanna see what that was like before i get on the hook to do this only to flunk out of the challenge mid way :lol:

Rossy2010

Name
Rossy2010
Natural or relaxed
relaxed
Bi weekly

Starting length
Neck length

I was in the last challenge and steaming reduced my shedding which led to positive retention :) :yep:. I noticed increase of moisture, my new growth was easy to handle and I would like to continue enjoying these benefits
Steaming Method
Table steamer

SunySydeofLyfe

I mentioned in the sulfur challenge steaming with my sulfur mix....Ms Njoy says she has done it, I am so in this challenge that ladies hair is such an inspiration!!!! Lets get it!!!!

winona

Name
Winona

Natural or relaxed
Natural

minimum Bi weekly

Starting length
Somewhere between shoulder length and armpit length (I am not very good at determining since I don't straighten my hair)

Positive retention and maintenance of moisture.

Steaming Method
PIBBS

Attachments

• Jan 2011.jpg
    Jan 2011.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm already doing the dd dc challenge and using steam so this is perfect. I'm in.

Natural or relaxed: Natural
How frequently will you steam your hair: Weekly
Starting length: Btwn APL & BSL
The Benefits you hope to achieve for you hair with steaming: Supple, moisturized hair
What Method you will be using to steam: Different dcs like Sebastian's Penetraitt; Hollywood Beauty's Carrot Oil & Cholesterol; or Giovanni's Magnetic Power Treatment. I'm using a hooded steamer

Attachments

• IMG_0417_2.jpg
    IMG_0417_2.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

mscocopuff

Excited!!!

Name Catrina

Natural or relaxed
Natural

1x weekly

Starting length
SL

I hope to achieve a calmer scalp, less knots in my curls, and moist hair ends.

Floor Steamer

:drunk:

BellaStephanie

Hello Everyone... I am newbie to this board and would love to join this challenge....
Name: Bella Stephanie
Natural or relaxed: Relaxed
How frequently will you steam your hair: Weekly
Starting length: Shoulder length
The Benefits you hope to achieve for you hair with steaming: health scalp, long healthy hair
What Method you will be using to steam: The portable Aphrodite O3 steamer

Janet'

Yay Ladies :dance7: :dance7: I will be on the sidelines cheering you on! I will be using my steamer also, but I'm going to hold off on actually joining the challenge...Happy Hair Growing!

cutenss

Yay :yay: Steamer Challenge, I'm in :woot:

Name
cutenss

Natural or relaxed
Natural

I will DC w/steam once a week. Mondays is my "hair day"

Starting length
more than BSL, but not fully MBL (IMO)

Moisture for my fine strands.

Steaming Method
I have the Heutiful Hair Steamer :love2:

ETA: Starting photo taken 1-3-11

Last edited:

tdc1978

Name
tdc1978

Natural or relaxed
Natural 4b

Once a week when I DC

Starting length
shoulder length

more moisture, retention, softer hair, hair growth

Steaming Method
towel method with hooded dryer until my huetiful comes

guudhair

I wanna join...my steamer should arrive this Friday..

Name: GuudHair
Natural or relaxed: Relaxed (currently transitioning)
How frequently will you steam your hair: every two weeks
Starting length: APL
The Benefits you hope to achieve for you hair with steaming: Retain moisture
What Method you will be using to steam: Salon R Us, PRO-150 model

Last edited:

Vintageglam

hey where you all been? :look: i thought no one wanted to join :lol:. good to have everyone on board. i will update the list this weekend so just feel free to join ladies

x stella

I've been steaming once a week for three weeks now and I love it. Between my increased water intake (100oz per day), the nightly dcs and wash day steaming treatments (lcl beauty steamer PRO-1037A), my hair has never felt better or healthier.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Name
Shay

Natural or relaxed
Natural, 4a

At least 1x/wkly

Starting length
TWA

Moisture, shine, easier time detangling

My SalonRus stand up steamer conked out on me during the last challenge so now I have a Huetiful. I tried to go without a steamer but me and my hair missed it.

Phaer

I am in
Name
PHAER
Natural or relaxed
NATURAL
AT LEAST EVERY TWO WEEKS
Starting length
CL
GROWTH BABY!! AND HEALTHY HAIR
STANDING STEAMER

lilpooky

Don't have a steamer yet, so I won't be joining. But I'll be rooting on everyone else for great results! HHG!

winona

Steamed for 1hr (2X30min) last Sat with Tucuma Moisturizing Conditioner, Roux Poriosity Control and Honey

I will be dcing this weekend:)

BellaStephanie

Question... steamed on Sunday with my DC....this week I am doing protective styling: braid out and buns.... has anyone steamed on dry hair? I just tried it. I put my hair in 6 plaits and steamed for 20 minutes.... NG is so soft... will post tomorrow on how it turned out...

winona

Steaming my Neem prepoo now for 30mins. My poor hair is getting the royal treatment as I have been sick, on travel with work and too busy to do much more than the basics for 2 weeks:(

Wash and steam for 1hr(2X30min) AOHSR, Roux PC, AORM, and AOWC (trying to get rid of my AO conditioners). They are great but I make my own which work just as well:)

Last edited:

winona

Wednesday did an experiment Tucuma Moisturizing Conditioner on Right and Ayuvedic Conditioner on Left then steamed for 40min. I was too lazy to rinse out so I dced overnight

Tonight prepoo with Chocolate prepoo, wash, and dc(will report back with exact one:) with steam for 1hr and probably will be too lazy to rinse out tonight:)

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've steamed 3-4 times with the Huetiful now. It puts out a lot of steam and I think only runs for 15-20 minutes. I do like it. I may get the face attachment too. I've steamed with a dc and oil.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Lurker here - I am new to steaming. I think steaming for 1hr may have been too long. Hair was dry and coarse. I.used AOWC. I have salons r us steamer (just got it a few weeks ago)

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App