Would you say something? My friend braids her daughter's hair too tight.

locabouthair

Ok my friend braids her daughter's hair very tightly. Her daughter has naturally thin/fine strands and she doesn't have a lot of them but hey she's only 4.

I notice the girl's hairline looks kinda thin, maybe it's from the tight braiding I dont know. Even my mom noticed it. Plus I had my friend briad my hair before and she does braid very tightly.

Now my friend has always been the one to remind me of how bad my hair is.

I remember her saying one time "oh thank God my daughter has that good hair not that bad hair, cause you know how that goes", referring to my hair.:ohwell: and she seems to be stuck on that.

I honestly REALLY dont like talking about hair if it's not someone on LHCF. But I'm scared the little girl will have traction alopecia before she's even in her teens.

Now I wanted to tell her not to braid her daughter's scalp too tight but part of me is like she wouldnt take advice from me anyway because I have "bad hair" according to her.

What do you think?

sparkle25

I think your friend doesnt sound very nice. I think the only "bad" hair is damaged hair, regardless of what she says.

I would say something lightly and tell her that braiding hair that tight can lead to baldness. I dont know much about hair care because i am new to all of this, but i DO know not to braid edges to tight.

If she doesnt want to listen to you then she can do some research on it herself. She will see that you are correct even if you have bad hair. I would be liike "i might have "bad hair" but my edges arent balding!

Mook's hair

WOW! Yes, I'd have to say something. That good - bad hair stuff is a mess...

I guess, I'd try to use her good / bad hair issues to get her to see the problem.
Maybe try this direction... her good grade of hair doesn't need to be braided so tight.

That might get through to her. If she thinks your hair is much coarser than her daughters then that should be helpful in explaining that it was too tight even for your texture.

Southern Belle

I don't know what kind of "friend" that is, but my girlfriends are my "sisters", so I would most definitely speak up. :yep:

I would tell her straight up - "GUURRRRL! If you don't LOOSE that baby's hair RIGHT NOW?????? Imma KNOW sump'm!" :lachen:

Ivonnovi

Speak up, for the sake of the child.

The idea that it might not be received right, or threaten you all's friendship, or worse is irrealevant.

beans4reezy

Your friend really doesn't sound like she is open to any advice on hair care from you. I say don't volunteer any ...wait for her to ask you, then give it to her straight: "You are braiding that little girl's hair WAY TOO TIGHT!"

infojunkie

Speak up, for the sake of the child.

The idea that it might not be received right, or threaten you all's friendship, or worse is irrealevant.

Ditto, it's not about you, it's about that 4 year old that can't speak for herself.

WOMAN UP AND TELL HER!!!

crazydaze911

WOW! Yes, I'd have to say something. That good - bad hair stuff is a mess...

I guess, I'd try to use her good / bad hair issues to get her to see the problem.
Maybe try this direction... her good grade of hair doesn't need to be braided so tight.

That might get through to her. If she thinks your hair is much coarser than her daughters then that should be helpful in explaining that it was too tight even for your texture.

Thats a good point. and i would also throw in (without naming names) that other pple, besides urself, have commented to you on her thinning edges but thought it rude to speak up. Since she is ur 'friend' u feel you can be honest with her and tell her what others wont.

locabouthair

I had an opportunity to tell her about but we were discussing something else and I forgot.

Thanks for the responses ya'll. I'm gonna take a chance and tell her.

Mook your hair is beautiful!