Would you use a BODY SOAP BAR on your hair?

Would you use BODY SOAP on your hair?

• Yes I've done it in the past and I'd do it again.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Yes I've done it in the past and it was awful.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • No, I would never do it. It's for the body, not the hair.

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • I've never done it, but I would consider it if the ingredients are attractive.

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Esq.2B

Lately I've been purchasing these wonderful body soaps made by a 100% black owned company. It leaves my skin SOOOOOOOOO moisturized and I've never smelled ANYTHING like it. It has a great lather but never leaves residue or soapy film on my skin.

It's 100% Vegetable Based-Raw Shea Butter Soap w/ SoyMilk & Oils of Frankincense & Myrrh

The Indgredients listed are: African Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Soaps of Coconut and Palm, Rosemary Extract, and Vitamin E.

I usually purchase it from the BSS in my neighborhood but you can find it at:

http://www.sistasplace.biz/proddetail.php?prod=nhbarsoaps&source=froogle

The link also includes some of the other soaps they have. Is it me or does some of this stuff seem wonderful?

Oh and the below links contain info about Frankincense and Myrrh.

Frankincense:
http://www.pilotguides.com/destinat...orth_africa/arab_gulf_states/frankincense.php

Myrrh:
http://mdmd.essortment.com/whatismyrrh_riss.htm

Would anyone use this on their hair? I'm tempted to try. Does anyone see anything thing that might be detrimental to the health of my hair?

Esq.2B

NO! That's hair suicide.

:lachen:

Thanks for the response. But how did you come to your conclusion. Did you read the above ingredients? Or was it based on past experience? Or is it just your opinion?

I'm just trying to make an informed decision before I do it.

natieya

A common misconception is that all soaps are drying. Not true. Most mass-produced commercially available soaps are drying, however. I use chagrin valley soaps (google it to find their site) and many women use them on their hair as shampoo...and most find they don't need conditioner afterwards because they are so moisturizing.

With that being said, I say "GO FOR IT!" It may be wonderful on your hair. (one main caviot, however...if you have hard water, be forewarned, the results can be less than stellar)

HTH! :Rose:

Esq.2B

A common misconception is that all soaps are drying. Not true. Most mass-produced commercially available soaps are drying, however. I use chagrin valley soaps (google it to find their site) and many women use them on their hair as shampoo...and most find they don't need conditioner afterwards because they are so moisturizing.

With that being said, I say "GO FOR IT!" It may be wonderful on your hair. (one main caviot, however...if you have hard water, be forewarned, the results can be less than stellar)

HTH! :Rose:

K thaaaaaanks. And I'm not sure if there is hard water here in NYC. I don't think it is though.

And I agree that they all aren't drying. To me, the ingredients in many shampoos are far worst than anything listed in this soap bar.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I've never done it, unless you count some Ivory soap being used to wash my hair as a baby LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen: But I voted, I've never done it, but would if the ingredients looked good. But the ingredients from that doesn't look at all bad. So if you decide to go for it, please let us know how it goes! :)

Esq.2B

For the people who said no, I wish you'd give a detailed explanation. I need a premise in addition to a conclusion. Mere conclusions won't satisfy my curious mind.:grin:

Because what it sounds like to me, based on your answers, is that if you saw another product with identical ingredients labeled "shampoo bar" instead of "body bar" that you'd be more willing to try it. And if that is the case, then the reasoning seems kind of flawed. This is NOT an attack on anyone's opinions. But I'm asking so I can make an informed decision so any logical reasons for "No" would help greatly. I apologize if this offends anyone because it's not intended to do that.

TIA

wonderstar

If you are talking about Nubian Heritage, well I used their soap on my hair once and I'd have to be desperate to try it again:wallbash:.

LiberianGirl

Yes, I would. Of course it would depend on the ingredients. I bought Out of Africa organic shea butter soap for my face and ended up using it on my hair this weekend. It really cleansed my hair but did not leave it dry. The ingredients are all natural: organic shea butter, natural green clay, palm kernel oil, olive, essential oil, purified water. I also plan on trying some other organic bar soaps on my hair.

wonderstar

Yes I am. OMG! Do tell!

Which soap did you use and what was your experience?

Well I decided to give it a try because of how nice it makes my skin feel (I used their black soap). My hair was extremely dry, like a harsh clarifier. It might work well for you but I didn't work for me:nono:.

BTW their soaps are the only soaps I use on my skin.

Esq.2B

Wonderstar88

Oh okay. I could definitely see how that would happen w/ the black soap.:yep:

The ingredients of the Black Soap are: African Black Soap Base, African Shea Butter, Oats, Aloe, Plaintain Extract, Vitamin E, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Palm Ash, Rosemary Extract, Iron Oxides

vs. The soap I was referencing...

Raw Shea Butter - African Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Soaps of Coconut and Palm, Rosemary Extract and Vitamin E

I think the latter ingredients are a little more hair friendly. I can DEFINITELY believe the Black Soap would have a drying effect. I use black soap (a different brand though) on my OILY a$$ face daily and it has almost totally alleviated the problem. Because it actually worked on my oily face, there's no way I'd use it on my hair. :nono:

Oh and I only use their soaps for my body. I LOVE THEM!:grin:

Thanks for your feedback.

Esq.2B

Yes, I would. Of course it would depend on the ingredients. I bought Out of Africa organic shea butter soap for my face and ended up using it on my hair this weekend. It really cleansed my hair but did not leave it dry. The ingredients are all natural: organic shea butter, natural green clay, palm kernel oil, olive, essential oil, purified water. I also plan on trying some other organic bar soaps on my hair.

See, and I can believe that you had a positive experience with those ingredients. :yep: I'm uninformed about the clay but those other ingredients don't seem harmful to me at all.

Thanks for your input.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
For the people who said no, I wish you'd give a detailed explanation. I need a premise in addition to a conclusion. Mere conclusions won't satisfy my curious mind.:grin:

Because what it sounds like to me, based on your answers, is that if you saw another product with identical ingredients labeled "shampoo bar" instead of "body bar" that you'd be more willing to try it. And if that is the case, then the reasoning seems kind of flawed. This is NOT an attack on anyone's opinions. But I'm asking so I can make an informed decision so any logical reasons for "No" would help greatly. I apologize if this offends anyone because it's not intended to do that.

TIA

I wasn't one of the one's that said that I wouldn't but the only thing I can add is that I once talked to the lady of Chagrin Valley soaps and I can remember asking her if you could use the body soaps for hair and she said that the PH was different on the shampoo soaps......I'm not real sure what that means or if it's good or bad but just thought I'd put that out there.

Personally if a body soap worked great for my hair and I saw no negative effects, sure I'd use it. In fact I was just thinking of using one of those Bath and Body Works glycerin soaps the other day. I will do a test run one day soon.

vonte422

I dont see why not. If people can use Dr. Bronner soap in their hair I dont see why not. I use the soap you mentioned and its great for winter months its the only thing I can use without making my skin dry

Esq.2B

I wasn't one of the one's that said that I wouldn't but the only thing I can add is that I once talked to the lady of Chagrin Valley soaps and I can remember asking her if you could use the body soaps for hair and she said that the PH was different on the shampoo soaps......I'm not real sure what that means or if it's good or bad but just thought I'd put that out there.

Personally if a body soap worked great for my hair and I saw no negative effects, sure I'd use it. In fact I was just thinking of using one of those Bath and Body Works glycerin soaps the other day. I will do a test run one day soon.

That makes sense w/the PH. I guess a neutralizing poo might have to be used every so often to try to balance things out. But since my CON green has a high PH, I'll prob have to do that anway. Thanks for that info. That definitely makes sense.:yep:

Esq.2B

I dont see why not. If people can use Dr. Bronner soap in their hair I dont see why not. I use the soap you mentioned and its great for winter months its the only thing I can use without making my skin dry

I didn't even know that people used Dr. Bronner's soap in their hair. Interesting...

ravenmerlita

I think it would depend on the ingredients. If I wasn't sure of the ingredients, I would be cautious and try to find a bar that was labelled for body and hair or just a shampoo bar.

I came across this info at Mothernaturesoaps.com:

http://www.mothersnaturesoaps.com/2046116.html

What is the difference between soap and a shampoo bar?

Technically, a shampoo bar is richly lathering oils and hair friendly essential oils. Grapeseed, jojoba oil, castor and Rice Bran oils are all added to our shampoo recipe to help scalp and maintain moisture. After many years of commercial shampoo, scalp and hair might require a few weeks before “adjusting”. Your hair might appear “greasier” and feel heavier after the first few uses. This is completely normal; the natural shampoo bar is breaking down all of the chemicals that have been stored in your hair this will disappear after a week or two. Hint: Use 1-2 tablespoons of Apple Cider vinegar as a rinse. Apple Cider Vinegar is wonderful for scalp and works great as a detangle and hair growth. Will leave your hair silky and shiny...

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I've done it at times in the past when I knew nothing about hair care and ran out of shampoo. My hair came out dry but I thought I was squeaky clean. That's when I didn't know that hair wasn't supposed to feel stripped after washing. I definitely won't do it now.

Esq.2B

I've done it at times in the past when I knew nothing about hair care and ran out of shampoo. My hair came out dry but I thought I was squeaky clean. That's when I didn't know that hair wasn't supposed to feel stripped after washing. I definitely won't do it now.

Thanks. May I ask, what kind of soap did you use?

Esq.2B

I think it would depend on the ingredients. If I wasn't sure of the ingredients, I would be cautious and try to find a bar that was labelled for body and hair or just a shampoo bar.

I came across this info at Mothernaturesoaps.com:

Thanks for that.

poookie

i say sure, as long as the soap has natural ingredients. like, i wouldn't go rubbin a bar of dove all over my head, but the burt's bees bar soaps are okay.

i'd be wary, though. i'm reminded of a field trip in 4th grade where they showed us how to make soap. and we had to wear gloves, because bars of soap contain lye. so whenever i think "bar of body soap", i also think "lye".

*Muffin*

Yes I would use a body soap bar for washing my hair. I have sensitive skin so I bathe with all-natural glycerin soap, and occasionally (when I don't have my sulfate-free shampoo handy) I'll use it to wash my hair with. I actually used it this morning because my hair was feeling a little gunky.

Neith

Soap is alkaline, that's why shampoo is made specifically for the hair. It has a lower pH than soap and is better for the hair.

Some others pointed out that soap is made with lye... I'm guessing that's why soaps are alkaline.

There are some VERY gentle soaps that I don't think would actually damage the hair. Most soaps are not good for the hair though.