Wrapping the hair ....any alternatives

atlien

I hate to wrap my hair I think it leaves it bodyless and flat. It looks nice for the first three days or so then that's it. Those that wear your hair out what do you do to maintain a nice straight style without the flat iron, curling iron. ion iron no irons.

Leslie_C

atlien,
when Ive worn my hair in a wrap which is rare, you are right, it does start to flatten after a few days. One trick a friend taught me was to put random rollers in my hair while around the house for a while and it works to put the body back in it. I think my new satin covered sponge rollers would work well for that because they have that little "give" to them that magnetic rollers dont. So u can roll it for more body and more of a bend and then wrap it back up for a while and overnight.

I dont really wear one much anymore because I wash my hair pretty often and wouldnt want to use heat on it. a wet wrap takes too long to dry so Id have to let it dry, then flat iron, then wrap. Another option is to roller set it, then wrap it.

moneychaser

I scoop my hair to the right or left with my fingers, as if I am wrapping it losely, and then I just toss my hair bonnet on

Does that make any sense

I have been doing this for years. It always leaves my hair with alot of body, minus the manipulation....

LaVinya

I brought some satin covered sponge rollers and toss large sections on a roller and sleep with a satin bonnet. My hair usually turns out with a lot of body. If the curls are too tight, I wrap it, take a shower, and then it has the body I like.

Neroli

I wash and rollerset my hair every 3 to 4 days precisely because that is pretty much how long my style last if I wear it loose, no matter whether I rollerset, wrap, airdry, whatever, it looses its bounce by day 4. Period. Thus, I've concluded that if I am to avoid heat on dirty hair (which is what 'causes BREAKAGE!), I just wash it whenever I can't acheive bounce without heat, I rather wash then apply heat to my dirty hair. If I can't wash my hair by day 4, then either have to sleep in 4 or 5 rollers in order to get body or I go into a protective style, like a roll or pony or large braid or something where it is NOT worn loose. I think freshly washed hair behaves better and is lighter and bouncier, which it slowly loses by 3rd or 4th day -- at least that's how my 4b relaxed hair is -- freshly washed, it can hold a syle easily styled without heat. My hair has prospered because I stopped using HEAT on dirty hair -- back in the day, I would whip out the curling iron by day 4 and use everyday for rest of the week in order to keep my style and THIS was the reason my hair never grew -- straight up breakage.

I strongly suggest that whenever you can't acheive a style by the 3rd or 4th day after washing, then consider just washing again. If you can't wash again, then consider either rolling up your hair at night in order to get 'body' or go into a so-called protective style where your hair up for the rest of time until you can wash.

Leslie_C

neroli, that sounds right on the money! Im the same way, my hair is so soft and light when I wash it, and Im ready to wash withing 3 days or so because It just feels softer and more moisturized when its nice and clean.