**YARN BRAIDS FINALLY DONE**{{ANOTHER THANK YOU TO KELLUM!!}}

amwcah

I was inspired by Kellum who showed us her beautiful yarn braids last week. I was hesistant to do them at first because of my recent hair fallout in my nape area. Well, the braids hide that area quite well. I just won't be able to do all those nice updo's like Kellum.

I only had to use one black 7oz spool of yarn. It is 100% acrylic. Next time I will try brown.

The day before I did a ApHogee hard core protein treatment and DCed with Keracare.

I parted the box for braiding, then I moisturized each section of hair with either shea butter or ORS Carrot Oil and sealed with CO. I saturated the yarn strands with S Curl Activator Moisturizer and applied. To get an idea how long to cut the yarn I used this tutorial. Skip to 2:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUUKpLOYVA I used this tutorial to understand how to braid the yarn into the hair. Skip to 4:23http://www.youtube.com/user/Katelynylyn#p/u/11/ENhQBwp5qvA To burn the ends I used a tip from a tutorial I watched. Skip to 1:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnW1hUeYVs

For styling I will refer to Kellum's fotki and Blackonyx77(she has 8 or so different tutorials). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_SDfSwU6tA&feature=channel She also shows you how to wash your scalp in yarn braids with baking soda and ACV.

Yarn braids regimine

Wash and clarify monthly with Suave Clarifying shampoo
Co-wash/DC(Keracare) weekly with Suave conditioners
Spray braids with Infusium 23
Moisturize with S Curl and Carefree Curl daily or as needed
Apply CO to my scalp

Nape regimine

Wet, moisturize, and massage with shea butter and CO
Wash ever 2-3x per week with OCT products

I think I'm going to wear these the entire year. I will redo the edges as needed. Hopefully, within a month or two, I will be able to catch the back and braid it as well. I LOVE THEM! If your thinking about getting them, don't hesistate. Get them today!!!

-->They are easy to style because the hair + yarn = super soft easy to manage braids unlike braiding hair. I only need 2-3 bobby pins for my styles in the photos

-->They yarn only cost $2.28.

-->They were easy to apply unlike braiding hair. I usually get the hair all tangled at the ends of braiding hair.

-->They yarn maintains moisture.

-->It looks neat and won't get fuzzy.

Last edited:

Marhia

welcome to the world of the yarn braids lol.. i love them, and i will be wearing the braids and yarn twists probably for the rest of the year. Mine are brown and black right now they were red and black. Good job girl

Geminigirl

Thanks for the videos I am doing my sister's yarn braids this weekend and I am def going to try that technique while braiding.

Kellum

LOL, I'm so tickled. You're welcome and your yarn braids look great!!! I like that braided style. It is really pretty. How long did it take you to finish?

amwcah

welcome to the world of the yarn braids lol.. i love them, and i will be wearing the braids and yarn twists probably for the rest of the year. Mine are brown and black right now they were red and black. Good job girl

Thank you, I had never heard of yarn braids until Kellum posted hers.

Now, did you mix the brown and black or do alternate between the brown and black braids?

amwcah

LOL, I'm so tickled. You're welcome and your yarn braids look great!!! I like that braided style. It is really pretty. How long did it take you to finish?

You quite welcome!:grin: I took 2 days, but it was worth it.

Fhrizzball

There's so many yarn braids popping up all of the sudden. The temptation is too much. Love your braids. How many strands of yarn do you use per a braid?

Marhia

Thank you, I had never heard of yarn braids until Kellum posted hers.

Now, did you mix the brown and black or do alternate between the brown and black braids?
i have brown braids in the front and black braids in the back, and one lil red one in there lol, you can check my fotki

ycj1

Your braids look really nice and precise! I like that you did add the you tube video for the ends. I have them as well but I knotted mine instead. I think when I take them out next month for my dc and wash and put them back I will try the burning method! Thanks so much again for posting this!:yep:

Last edited:

amwcah

There's so many yarn braids popping up all of the sudden. The temptation is too much. Love your braids. How many strands of yarn do you use per a braid?

^^^I know what you mean. Its most definitely a good thing though. I used 2 strands folded to make 4. I saw someone use 3 for the back of their head on YT.

amwcah

Your braids look really nice and percise! I like that you did add the you tube video for the ends. I have them as well but I knotted mine instead. I think when I take them out next month for my dc and wash and put them back I will try the burning method! Thanks so much again for posting this!:yep:

Your welcome!

I did knot them first and put the clip right about the knot and then burned.

Kellum

^^^I know what you mean. Its most definitely a good thing though. I used 2 strands folded to make 4. I saw someone use 3 for the back of their head on YT.

I was thinking the same thing. There are a lot of yarn braid post. Its a great PS style. I love mine. So you used 2 strands for your whole head? I used 2 strands for the front part of my head probably the first 5 to 6 rows in the front and the back was 3 strands. Either way it looks really nice.

amwcah

I was thinking the same thing. There are a lot of yarn braid post. Its a great PS style. I love mine. So you used 2 strands for your whole head? I used 2 strands for the front part of my head probably the first 5 to 6 rows in the front and the back was 3 strands. Either way it looks really nice.

Yup, I used 2 strands all the way around. Why did you use 3 strands in the back?

Marhia

yeah that is true, I've had mine since Dec, they are a great PS though

hothair

Ok I give in I'm going to try these! Does anyone have any blondeish/ brown pics of yarn braids?

RockCreak

OK.. don't bash me but my dd and I were watching the clip of the lil girl getting the genie locs and she loved it.

I'm actually considering doing them as a PS. I'm thinking of trying them this weekend... btw my dd is 8.

What do yall think.

BronzyBella

Your braids look so neat/professional. I've fallen in luv with yarn braids as well but I still need some more practice.

amwcah

OK.. don't bash me but my dd and I were watching the clip of the lil girl getting the genie locs and she loved it.

I'm actually considering doing them as a PS. I'm thinking of trying them this weekend... btw my dd is 8.

What do yall think.

I was undecided at first, but I think that would be okay. In the vid or part II of it, she should how to style the braids on a little girl. For example, two ponytails, etc.

laCriolla

would this work with silk yarn?

do you ladies with yarn braids still tie your hair up at night?

I think my hair would get really frizzy in braids :-( it would be nice to have a temporary 'lock' look without locking my hair. but I'm afraid the acrylic yarn would saw through my hair

amwcah

would this work with silk yarn?

do you ladies with yarn braids still tie your hair up at night?

I think my hair would get really frizzy in braids :-( it would be nice to have a temporary 'lock' look without locking my hair. but I'm afraid the acrylic yarn would saw through my hair

I'm not familiar with silk yarn, but the yarn is very soft. Believe me, the acrylic yarn won't harm your hair at all. If anything, the synthetic braiding hair would saw or cut your hair. My braids are very soft and light to the touch.

Yes, I cover my hair with a bonnet at night.

Why do you think your hair would get frizzy? Have you ever one braids before with this happening?