Yogurt for Straightening/Loosing curl pattern in 4b naturals...

lildhe

Hello ladies. Just wondering if anyone ever tried this with heat.? sitting under a dryer or a heating cap.Ifso did it make a difference . (looking for a fast fix)

ToyToy

I tried this yesterday, and it worked for me!! I added almost 150g of full fat natural yoghurt to NTM conditioner with some EVOO and honey, mixed it together and applied it to my head after I shampooed. I left it on for an hour. My hair was so easy to detangle! I braided my hair with some more EVOO and air dried.
This morning when I took my hair down, my hair was soooo soft, and not at all tangled! Normally after a wash, I have to detangle AGAIN with a brush! IT did loosen my texture, so my hair seems a lot longer than usual, which is an added bonus!!!! I'm going to be doing this every week now!!!! :grin:

glamazon386

I tried it today and I don't see a noticeable difference. I used plain yogurt, whole milk, honey, and a little lime juice. I also didn't like how it made my hair feel when I rinsed it. And it was runny once it was in my hair. :ohwell: I might try it again with a different combo of products and see how it works. I'm not gonna do anything else with that big tub of plain yogurt. :lol:

SilverSurfer

I tried it today and I don't see a noticeable difference. I used plain yogurt, whole milk, honey, and a little lime juice. I also didn't like how it made my hair feel when I rinsed it. And it was runny once it was in my hair. :ohwell: I might try it again with a different combo of products and see how it works. I'm not gonna do anything else with that big tub of plain yogurt. :lol:
I honestly think just using the yogurt alone or with your conditioner will suffice. I don't think the extra milk or lime juice is necessary. Also what type of yogurt did you use? I noticed when I tried it with non fat yogurt, it didn't work for me but when I tried it again with full fat / low fat yogurt, I noticed the difference. HTH

AtlantaJJ

Did anyone use 2% milk or did everyone use whole milk?
Is your hair on a diet? I know I am!! :grin: J/K

I am reading through this thread and I am definately going to give this a try. I don't see that anyone used heat so far...that might cause a sour disaster....:drunk:

Last edited:

ajargon02

I am confused, Is yogurt a protein or moisturizer?

well this is what I found:
Yogurt and Honey Moisturizing Treatment
Softens, smoothes, and moisturizes dry or damaged hair. On clean, damp hair, mix 1/2 cup plain yogurt with 1 tbsp. honey and 1 egg yolk. Massage into hair, cover with a plastic bag or shower cap and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse, and shampoo thoroughly.
I am thinking it's the HONEY that makes it "moisturizing:
I also found this:
Add healthy proteins to your diet, as hair literally is protein. Great food sources for protein include brewer's yeast, fish, beans, yogurt, soy and eggs. Protein will not only strengthen your hair, but improves hair growth

I think that it's a protein to be honest. I think that you can add other things that might give "moisturzing" benefits thought. hth

Soliel185

I think the milk being sour or going sour b/c of the heat might be a good thing. Another woman in this thread said she used buttermilk in addition to yogurt - and for the coconut lime mixture, you leave it overnight to curdle. It might not smell nice, but as long as you follow it with something scented and moisturizing it should be fine.

AtlantaJJ

:yep:
I think the milk being sour or going sour b/c of the heat might be a good thing. Another woman in this thread said she used buttermilk in addition to yogurt - and for the coconut lime mixture, you leave it overnight to curdle. It might not smell nice, but as long as you follow it with something scented and moisturizing it should be fine.
Oh that makes perfect sense now that you said it!! You guys are amazing and I think I'm the only one on here without a chemistry degree!! LOL I am definately going to give this a try. I used yogurt before in my henna mix but never as a conditioner!! I just got back from the store with my Dannon plain full fat yogurt. I also have whole milk.

If this works out, I'll be able to stretch for months, which is what I want to do!! I need manageablity.
Soliel, please give me some of all that beautiful hair you have please!!

glamazon386

I honestly think just using the yogurt alone or with your conditioner will suffice. I don't think the extra milk or lime juice is necessary. Also what type of yogurt did you use? I noticed when I tried it with non fat yogurt, it didn't work for me but when I tried it again with full fat / low fat yogurt, I noticed the difference. HTH

Damn you're right. I didn't even look at all that when I bought it. It's non fat. :ohwell: I'm gonna have to go back to the store and get the right thing.

adw425

I used it with heat today because I was doing a hair mask and it hardened on my head, which is what I wanted it to do and there was no sour smell. I used a hand-held blow dryer to get it hard. Of course, the buttermilk and yogurt is already sour milk, but there was no spoiling or anything like that.

To recap, my most recent incarnation of the concoction consists of honey and almond conditioner, yogurt, a splash of coconut milk and a splash of buttermilk, a whole ripe banana, molasses, honey, whey protein, and my powdered herbs mixture. I am sure the preservatives in the conditoner helps the mixture "hold up." As well, the conditioner itself helps with the consistency. Also, when it gets too runny, the irish moss in my herb mix helps thicken things up nicely.

I forgot that the first week, I added aloe vera juice. I have to remember to add it again next week. Again, my hand just glides right through my hair -- no mats, tangles or knots -- and curl pattern is still loosened. I clarified when I shampooed today.

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

Do you mind sharing your recipe?

Interesting...I tried something similar 2 weeks ago with coconut milk and lime juice and got good results; NG is less "poofy" comb glides through. Two washes later the curl pattern is still loose.

I think the link between the lime juice and the yogurt is the acidity...I wonder what is it about acidity that seems to loosen curl....

Soliel185

:yep:
Oh that makes perfect sense now that you said it!! You guys are amazing and I think I'm the only one on here without a chemistry degree!! LOL I am definately going to give this a try. I used yogurt before in my henna mix but never as a conditioner!! I just got back from the store with my Dannon plain full fat yogurt. I also have whole milk.

If this works out, I'll be able to stretch for months, which is what I want to do!! I need manageablity.
Soliel, please give me some of all that beautiful hair you have please!!

Haha - Thank You. Lord knows when I'm trying to detangle it I sometimes wish I could give some it of away! :lachen:

Isis

Great thread! This does look interesting. I tried coconut milk in the past with lime juice but it made my hair very hard and it took a long time to detangle. Although I'm not a natural, doing the yogurt as a pre-poo, maybe mixed with my Giovanni Direct sounds like it might work well for stretching. :scratchch

BTW, when heated, lime juice + milk = cheese (I posted a recipe for homemade cheese in the Cooking forum a while back). :drunk:

Soliel185

www.snowdriftfarm.com sells pure lactic acid in it's liquid form -- if added to some moisturizing ingredients and a light protein could this be a shortcut to the whole yogurt/sour milk thing? If Lactic acid is the active ingredient causing the straightening/loosening maybe it could be combined to a set strength, and the mixer could determine what degree of looseness they want....It would take some experimenting, but since it's temporary there's not alot to lose...right?

Diamond48

Welcome to the board...I am glad this worked for you...

Thanks!! I've reviewed your newer recipe and plan to try that too as soon as I can assemble some more goodies! Wash N Go again today and my hair is still mostly spirals -- large and small ones. Today I used a cheap VO5 conditioner wash, leave in (VO5 Vive for unruly hair) and a little VO5 mousse in the big red can. Topped it off with a little oil sheen spray (ORS Olive Oil) and out the door. Hair is still soft 5 hrs later - before the yogurt treatment my hair would be hard around noon and I'd need to freshen it up before stepping out for lunch. I used the yogurt, buttermilk and molasses twice last week and my hair is still looser and softer today. I'm really happy to find something cheap that works. Bless you child!
:grin:

mscocoface

www.snowdriftfarm.com sells pure lactic acid in it's liquid form -- if added to some moisturizing ingredients and a light protein could this be a shortcut to the whole yogurt/sour milk thing? If Lactic acid is the active ingredient causing the straightening/loosening maybe it could be combined to a set strength, and the mixer could determine what degree of looseness they want....It would take some experimenting, but since it's temporary there's not alot to lose...right?

Is there a difference in the response of the Lactic acids? The one in milk is of course a milk base but the one mentioned on this site is from corn. They call it the synthetic blend. I have no clue, maybe the chemists on the site can give some feedback.

autumnbeauty29

I am going to do this tonight. I would love to stretch out my new growth.
  • Is is better to get whole milk or buttermilk?
  • What does adding the honey or molasses do? Which is better?
I am TOO excited to give this a try tonight :grin:

JustKiya

Hrrrm.

I wikifuu'd lactic acid, and based on this bit here

Lactic acid is primarily found in sour milk products, such as: koumiss, leban, yogurt, kefir and some cottage cheeses. The casein in fermented milk is coagulated (curdled) by lactic acid.
Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived by using bacteria such as Bacillus acidilacti, Lactobacillus delbueckii or Lactobacillus bulgaricus to ferment carbohydrates from nondairy sources such as cornstarch, potatoes and molasses.

it sounds like the corn based lactic acid would be a perfectly good concentrated substitute for the milk based lactic acid in the yogurt.

:rolleyes: Hrrrrrmmmmmmm................................ that could make for a very interesting series of experiments.

Soliel185

I know, right? Maybe I can get to mixing and open my own Curve Salon -- all natural for real - and temporary so you never have to lose your kinks!

tallnomad

I know, right? Maybe I can get to mixing and open my own Curve Salon -- all natural for real - and temporary so you never have to lose your kinks!

i would love to help you open something--what about Milk'n It Salon?:lachen:

seriously, i think women would go to a salon for this cause it sounds like it's a great deep conditioning treatment as well as a great treat for your hair!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Do you mind sharing your recipe?

Sorry i took so long. I mix about a cup of coconut milk powder to 2 limes' lime juice add just enough water to make a thick paste, like cake batter leave overnight. *before use let warm up to room temp that stuff is coldddd.

Since then I have tried mixing yogurt and molasses in my deep conditioner, as per adw425 and that has worked also, I would say better than the coconut milk; the curl was still stretched but my hair felt much better (more moisturized) after than the coconut milk.

adw425 is def. on to something... yogurt, molasses, buttermilk all have high amounts of lactic acid and seem to have a loosening effect on the hair...next I will try sour cream, that too is supposed to have high amount of lactic acid

halee_J

Don't worry be happy

I would err on the side of caution with the acid IMHO.
I mean plain ol' vinegar is 5% acetic acid, which we put in salad and in our hair no problem, but when i work with concentrated acetic acid in the lab, its lab coat, gloves, safety glasses.

That stuff can cause severe burns...acids are corrosive, hence alpha hydroxy acids which can be found naturally in the skins of some fruit, in more concentrated forms are used as chemical peels @ the dermatologist.Yes, lactic acid is from natural sources, but its still an acid. Not trying to knock anyone's enthusiasm, just sharing some info.

I'm sure if you are cautious, and read up to be sure of what ur doing with your mixes you will be fine....plus, its probably not sold to consumers in a dangerously concentrated form anyway but, we don't want to mess up our hard work from experiments gone wrong either...

For now, the dairy/molasses seems to work for me. If it aint broke...

Soliel185

Trust me - I would be hella careful. The instruction say no more than 10% concentration for skin creams and lotions -- I'd probably look at the concentrations in things like milk and yogurt for a starting point. I don't think I'd go over 2% to start with. I just think that if someone had the knowledge to make use of this and actually formulate something it would be big. :look:

Last edited:

JustKiya

:yep::yep:

If it wasn't being sold to be used on the body as is, I wouldn't even CONSIDER it - a sista ain't crrraaaazzzy, now. And yeah that, with the lower concentrations.....plus a lil bit of experimenting on shed hair (I KNEW I shoulda kept that bucket of hair!) - it could be interesting.

Funny, I went to the supermarket last night to FINALLY, try this experiment but there was no regular yogurt.

They were all low fat, low low fat, organic. No regular yogurt. Where did you ladies go?

dlove

Funny, I went to the supermarket last night to FINALLY, try this experiment but there was no regular yogurt.

They were all low fat, low low fat, organic. No regular yogurt. Where did you ladies go?

Publix super market. Giant tub of Dannon.

Cheleigh

I buy the full fat Greek style yogurt at Trader Joes for $1.99.

bludaydreamr

I tried this today and It worked; I noticed the curl loosened, but not much. I imagine if I repeat it, I may loosen a little more, but I am really impressed by the way my hair feels. I used full fat yogurt, buttermilk, honey, a little GD Leave-in, CON Conditioner, castor oil and left it on a little over 60 minutes. I used it as a pre-poo and then shampooed and DC.