Your Hair is NOT Done if it is in a BUN....Yep!

janeemat

I am convinced ladies regardless of how neat your bunny bun may look or how thick your bunny bun may be.....most folk do NOT consider your hair done. I get little to know compliments when my hair is in a bun. Here I step into work today with a wig for the first time ever!!!! I have been getting compliments all day telling me how nice I look and how I just love your hair. Well first of all it's not even my hair....lol...but I did not tell these nuts no difference. They think I got a cut and color...:lachen::lachen::lachen:. It is the "sonya lace front wig". Oh, but I do get compliments when I wear my own hair down swinging in the wind. So if it's in a bun it's not done.

Ehhh...maybe your bun is just...boring? :lol: Bunning is a fine art. Proper execution is key. I've actually had someone say to me (while I was wearing a bun) You did that yourself? :love: Check out my girl Sipp100's bunny buns (in her albums)...now THAT is done!

Ehhh...maybe your bun is just...boring? :lol: Bunning is a fine art. Proper execution is key. I've actually had someone say to me (while I was wearing a bun) You did that yourself? :love: Check out my girl Sipp100's bunny buns (in her albums)...now THAT is done!

Lol that's what I was thinking! I know whenever I bun, I get tons of compliments. My ex actually preferred my hair in a bun than being loose.

I'm going to check out Sipps buns to see what I am missing. I won't say that I NEVER get compliments when I am in a bun, but nothing compared to when the hair is down or this wig I am wearing today.

....buns are beautiful! These all look done to me :yep:
388570.jpg

Wedding-hairup-doDesigner-Wedding-Show51.jpg

black-hair-african-american-black-wedding-hairstyle-with-updo-hair-for-women-in-spring-2011_2.jpg

4_27_bun_1.jpg

the-anti-hair-slave-albums-my-relaxed-hair-picture1009-bun.jpg

pin-curls-bun.jpg

If buns are what you normally do, then there's nothing new or exciting about them, hence they're not noticed. When I straighten my hair I get FAR more compliments than when it's curly, because I only straighten around once a year. When I was relaxed and wore a braid-out I got FAR more compliments because I rarely did it. I don't really think it has anything to do with whether folks consider the hair "done," but more to do with what they're accustomed to seeing from you on a daily basis.

All of these buns are gorgeous! But when I am stretching my relaxer my will NEVER look like the first 3.

What have you tried for your edges? In order to get my edges to lay down I use gel and a little water then tie them down with a scarf until I'm ready to go. It holds all day

If buns are what you normally do, then there's nothing new or exciting about them, hence they're not noticed. When I straighten my hair I get FAR more compliments than when it's curly, because I only straighten around once a year. When I was relaxed and wore a braid-out I got FAR more compliments because I rarely did it. I don't really think it has anything to do with whether folks consider the hair "done," but more to do with what they're accustomed to seeing from you on a daily basis.

I mixed things ups. My hair is more likely to be down the first couple of weeks after relaxing and bun alot more during the stretch. I could wear a bun Mon-Wed. Go home on Wed night and wash and rollerset, get to the office and first thing I will hear is O your hair looks nice......whatever....

What have you tried for your edges? In order to get my edges to lay down I use gel and a little water then tie them down with a scarf until I'm ready to go. It holds all day

All of the above. I would have to use heat to get that look and I try to avoid fooling with my ng with heat during most of my stretch.

I have my hair in a bun/buns today and Ive been getting complements ... because I always have my hair out or in twists

So its the opposite for me lol

I'm going to check out Sipps buns to see what I am missing. I won't say that I NEVER get compliments when I am in a bun, but nothing compared to when the hair is down or this wig I am wearing today.

Also people go ga-ga for "different." If you've been wearing your hair a particular way and suddenly change it up, it does garner more attention. Or...maybe "Sonia" just looks more "fabulous?" Who knows? I know one thing, buns have taken me from hair down disaster to polished and pretty in minutes. So I will never diss the bun! :lol:

@janeemat, if your hair was not done, you'd be asked why isn't your hair done or you'd be asked when you're going to do it. Silence IMO usually means consent. There are so many threads in this forum of women heartbroken because someone made a hurtful comment about their hair. I find it odd that people NEED compliments so much. Honestly my opinion of what looks good matters to me more than what the next person thinks. So I'd not even question "no comment". In fact, even a silly remark would fall on deaf ears if I left home feeling good about my hair.

As for your hair not looking like the first 3 pics, why is that a bad thing? Why is slick and smooth and straight the only look considered good? What's wrong with waves? I remember a post by Ediese where she made buns with added hair. She tried to match the added hair to her own waves and I thought her buns were so pretty:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=10769092&postcount=34

I have also seen folks fawning over waves created by coily hair smoothed back. In fact, I remember in my younger days, I could get my 4B hair to lie completely smooth in the shower: I'd shampoo it and comb it in a backward direction using my fingers to smooth it back. I'd do this with shampoo still on so it'd kinda get stuck like that and rinse using my fingers to smooth it back not letting it rise from that flattened position. I didn't use conditioner :nono: so my hair wasn't soft at all. I'd let it airdry in that flattened state and l would get a look like it was gelled down with every hair in place. You see how this dude has every hair in place? :lol:
afro_hair.jpg

Yeah, like that. :lol: In fact I'd bet my bottom dollar that's how he created the do. Only my hair would be lying down going back and just like in the buns you like, no hair would be out of place, only mine would not be shiny but would look like homeboy's does. :grin:

Last edited:
i use to think the same way until i started getting creative with my buns/up-do's..ppl love them!!!

i use to despise buns like kill me now a bun gasppp--not anymore lol

I am happy that all of you ladies get tons of compliments when your hair is in a bun. I ain't mad at you:grin: but I don't. Not that I look for compliments or need compliments. I just happened to take notice to when I get more compliments.....so my thoughts were although I'm thinking that I'm looking cute in my little professional bun others around must not think so. Believe me, I enjoy my bun because of what it has done for my hair but it is not my idea/favorite hair style. I just do what's best for my growing my hair.

@janeemat, if your hair was not done, you'd be asked why isn't your hair done or you'd be asked when you're going to do it. Silence IMO usually means consent. There are so many threads in this forum of women heartbroken because someone made a hurtful comment about their hair. I find it odd that people NEED compliments so much. Honestly my opinion of what looks good matters to me more than what the next person thinks. So I'd not even question "no comment". In fact, even a silly remark would fall on deaf ears if I left home feeling good about my hair.

As for your hair not looking like the first 3 pics, why is that a bad thing? Why is slick and smooth and straight the only look considered good? What's wrong with waves? I remember a post by @Ediese where she made buns with added hair. She tried to match the added hair to her own waves and I thought her buns were so pretty:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=10769092&postcount=34

I have also seen folks fawning over waves created by coily hair smoothed back. In fact, I remember in my younger days, I could get my 4B hair to lie completely smooth in the shower: I'd shampoo it and comb it in a backward direction using my fingers to smooth it back. I'd do this with shampoo still on so it'd kinda get stuck like that and rinse using my fingers to smooth it back not letting it rise from that flattened position. I didn't use conditioner :nono: so my hair wasn't soft at all. I'd let it airdry in that flattened state and l would get a look like it was gelled down with every hair in place. You see how this dude has every hair in place? :lol:
afro_hair.jpg

Yeah, like that. :lol: In fact I'd bet my bottom dollar that's how he created the do. Only my hair would be lying down going back and just like in the buns you like, no hair would be out of place, only mine would not be shiny but would look like homeboy's does. :grin:

I can't see all these pics at work. I will have to wait until I get home.

I am happy that all of you ladies get tons of compliments when your hair is in a bun. I ain't mad at you:grin: but I don't. Not that I look for compliments or need compliments. I just happened to take notice to when I get more compliments.....so my thoughts were although I'm thinking that I'm looking cute in my little professional bun others around must not think so. Believe me, I enjoy my bun because of what it has done for my hair but it is not my idea/favorite hair style. I just do what's best for my growing my hair.

janeemat ~ I vote that you are getting tons of compliments because it's a different look on you. I bet you look just as hot in your buns!
:yep:

@janeemat

I KNOW you ain't up in here talmbout "a bun ain't done" - Dem's fightin' words :bat:

I love, love, love buns! If your buns are boring - find some new ones :yep: NOBODY wants to see the same ole buns everyday. A bun/updo is what you make it. If you spend no creative energy on the bun, it shows.

You could check out youtube and be on the lookout for buns/updos in fashion magazines. When I get my mags in the mail, I look through them for hairstyles first, then I go back through them to look at the clothes. :lol:

Here are few of the buns I do regularly. I took these pics for the Everyday Hair Stickie Thread, but I can do at least 75-100 different buns/updos that take less than 10 minutes.

BTW, I'm 33 MONTHS post-relaxer.

eta: My edges aren't slicked back and the buns aren't perfect because I'm a SAHM and unless I go to the store, nobody ever sees my hair. I ain't wasting good gel and product for these kids eyes, lol

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If you spend time on a nice bun and your co-workers STILL don't like it - they're just lower echelon and can't be pleased with elegant hair styles :lol:

@Nonie
You don't miss a chance to post Mr. Hair Hat, do you?

@Cherokee-n-Black
I'mma have to hire you as my publicist :lachen:

Last edited:
@janeemat

I KNOW you ain't up in here talmbout "a bun ain't done" - Dem's fightin' words :bat:

I love, love, love buns! If your buns are boring - find some new ones :yep: NOBODY wants to see the same ole buns everyday. A bun/updo is what you make it. If you spend no creative energy on the bun, it shows.

You could check out youtube and be on the lookout for buns/updos in fashion magazines. When I get my mags in the mail, I look through them for hairstyles first, then I go back through them to look at the clothes. :lol:

Here are few of the buns I do regularly. I took these pics for the Everyday Hair Stickie Thread, but I can do at least 75-100 different buns/updos that take less than 10 minutes.

BTW, I'm 33 MONTHS post-relaxer.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If you spend time on a nice bun and your co-workers STILL don't like it - they're just lower echelon and can't be pleased with elegant hair styles :lol:

@Nonie
You don't miss a chance to post Mr. Hair Hat, do you?

@Cherokee-n-Black
I'mma have to hire you as my publicist :lachen:

Wow! Your buns have blow me away! I love them. I leaving my office now and will check these out when I get home. Thanks Sipp!

Back