Your hairline and washing your face.........

tarheelgurl

So, today I am in the locker room at the gym and there is a white girl sharing the mirror with me. We both are cleaning up after the workout. I start my usual routine rinse face then noxema.

Before she starts, she puts on a sports head band. I am thinking its to keep her hair out of the way while she washes her face. I comment " I need to get one of those cause my hair sometimes falls into my toothpaste."

She replied, "yea, that too but I mainly use it to protect my hairline in the front and back. I scrub my face to hard and along with bleaching and perms it contributed to my receding hairline. Once the dermatologist told me to start putting a headband over it, my hairline has grown back."

The lightbulb in my head came on as I had been concerned with my own hairline receeding. She was right. My mother always told me scrub my face and I never thought that I was scrubbing the fragile hairs at my forehead and the back of my neck.

I have helped in the receeding with the manipulating from washing my face! So, it really doesn't have to be mentioned that I am off to buy a headband!

Sorry if this is old news but its brand new to me and I thought I would share!

Cleve_gryl

Be careful with the headband :perplexed. I wore a cotton one to workout in 3 times a week and it BROKE off my hairline. I thought it was something I was doing until I retired the headband and the hairline grew back.

Mortons

I dont use towels on my face, just my hands, the soap, and a paper towel to blot water off, but I think that wearing a shower cap should do the trick, plus it wont be harsh on your hair like the cotton.

chayil0427

Yep, I've read this in magazines. Cleaners a lot of times have acids and harsh chemicals in them that can be brutal on the delicate hair line. That's why its important to keep the cleanser out of your hairline...sports bands work well for this.

Good topic.

Chayil

jtsupanova

my hairline is usualy coverd with my satin scarf when i wash my face and i never scrub i use my hands
i do use a towel to rinse of though

Zsazsa6275

I use a headband for washing my face when my hair is straightened. I don't want my edges getting wet. I got mine from Dollar Tree. I like mine.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I have done this for years, I just wash my face w/ my bonnet pulled over my hairline. The harsh cleansers from the face wash can be drying to the hair, it causes breakage. After washing, I put moisturizer on my face and then moisturize my hair.

Healthb4Length

I need to start doing this again. My hairline has been acting up and I just noticed the other day it looks like it's thinning. What's the point of having long hair with a jacked up hairline:ohwell:? I even noticed that I was getting a burning sensation on the sides of it too, I'll be doing this with a satin scarf.

meaganita

I've always protected my hairline, usually with a scarf.
I do it to keep from getting soap in my hair and to keep
from getting it wet.

jewel

I don't use a washcloth or towel on my face it is too abrasive for me. I put on my facial cleanser with my hands then wipe off with 2-3 cotton balls. I love cotton balls they are super gentle on the skin. Plus, you get to see all the gunk that comes off your face from the day. :eek: With cotton balls you can wipe around the hairline without manipulating the hair :yep:.

Last edited by a moderator:

hothair

Scrubbing the face???

Oh my! I was told to be gentle and don't use a cloth, to use my hands.

Me too! The closest to a cloth I use is the Olay face wash cloths and even then I rub gently, but I do use headbands to keep the hair off my face and sometimes prevent my hair getting wet

Last edited:

Kari107

I always try to avoid my hairline when I wash my face. That doesn't always happen so I may have to go buy a headband. My edges always get wet and this is especially bad when I'm several weeks post or have my hair flat ironed.

pisceschica

So, today I am in the locker room at the gym and there is a white girl sharing the mirror with me. We both are cleaning up after the workout. I start my usual routine rinse face then noxema.

Before she starts, she puts on a sports head band. I am thinking its to keep her hair out of the way while she washes her face. I comment " I need to get one of those cause my hair sometimes falls into my toothpaste."

She replied, "yea, that too but I mainly use it to protect my hairline in the front and back. I scrub my face to hard and along with bleaching and perms it contributed to my receding hairline. Once the dermatologist told me to start putting a headband over it, my hairline has grown back."

The lightbulb in my head came on as I had been concerned with my own hairline receeding. She was right. My mother always told me scrub my face and I never thought that I was scrubbing the fragile hairs at my forehead and the back of my neck.

I have helped in the receeding with the manipulating from washing my face! So, it really doesn't have to be mentioned that I am off to buy a headband!

Sorry if this is old news but its brand new to me and I thought I would share!

Well its true especially if you use harsh or drying cleansers (that are drying to your hair that is). You could probably be weakening your hairline everytime you wash your face and get a dryer cleanser on it, sometimes this can happen with make-up. She gave a reall good tip . .

atemeus_itali

I use a shower cap over my hair line and roll up so it wont touch my hairline (thanks southerntease). i guess, technically i don't wash my whole face (near the hairline) because I was so afraid of getting face wash on my hair.