2008 Hair Journey... what have you learned?

FAMUDva

This year I challenged myself to not put ANY chemicals in my hair... no relaxer and no semi-perm color. I'm happy to say that in 11 days it will be 1 yr since I started my challenge... and the challenge has turned into a transition to natural :)

Things I've learned on my hair journey this year:

1) Conditioner washes are great for my transitioning hair! What was a definate no-no :nono: when I was completely relaxed turned out to be a life saver during my transition. I tried CW when 100% relaxed and lost too much hair... now my hair is moisterized and there isn't the dreaded breakage.

2) I'm cool with low manipulation :) As plain as buns and ponys are, I'm cool with them (for now).

3) Coconut oil is the BOMB!

4) Simple is best for my hair... simple use of products and simple regimen works best for me.

What have you found to be great this year on your hair journey?

I'm sure I have more, but I have to think...:)

locabouthair

I've learned that all the vits, DC's, moisturizing and massages wont do a thing if your stylist keeps overprocessing it.

I've learned that moisture is my best friend. lack of it is my enemy:nono:

I've learned to how to self relax :yay:

zzirvingj

1. I've learned that it's ok to switch up on the products sometimes. Sometimes your hair needs that type of change :yep:

2. I've learned that I cannot slack on daily moisturizing and frequent bunning, or my hair may suffer.

3. I've learned that I will have occasional knots, no matter how much obsessive dusting I do to my hair.

4. I've learned that so far, no other product detangles my hair like my good ol trusty Lekair Cholesterol. Period.

Last edited:

JessCNU

The biggest and most important thing I have learned over all is that with care,it is possible to have healthy Relaxed hair.

trenise

I have learned the importance of keeping the hair moisturized. I hate grease on my hair and always thought that was the only way to moisturize it, so my hair stayed dry and and broke easily. Now, my hair is always well moisturized, usually in a protective style, and retaining length like never before since I have been an adult.

imstush

I've learned that my hair prefers natural/organic products.

I've learned that my hair does not like shampoo, even the so called natural/organic ones.

I've learned never to let the dominicans "trim" my hair:look:

and the most important...I've learned less is really more, KISS!

MD_Lady

I gave my #1 hair foe a name: breakage. I also learned that the root cause of the problem wasn't something I could manage on my own (which is why my previous efforts weren't working. :nono:)

I also learned about the HUGE variety of hair care options available to me. :love: No, everything doesn't work for everybody, but it feels good to know that I have choices. :yep:

JustKiya

Oooh, good thread!

Hrm.

Working with your hair, rather than fighting it, makes things a lot easier. I've waved several style-related white flags this year, and me & my hair are happier for it.

I've learned (reconfirmed, really) that moisture is a MUST. Clearly my hair ancestors came from someplace HUMID. :lachen:

I've learned that products aren't magical, but processes can make magic.

I've learned that a higher price doesn't always mean a better product than something I can whip up at home.

I've learned that I have freaking fabulous, growing, healthy, hair!

Healthb4Length

I've learned that my hair like protein and thrives on weekly light protein treatments

I've learned that it's OK to use heat once a month or so if you use proper heat protection

I've learned it's not ok to stretch for 16 weeks when self relaxing because it will be a beast when you try to relax it yourself.

I've learned that moisturizing once a day is good especially my beady-bees which constantly stay dry.

I haven't learned to control my PJism...

ajoyfuljoy

I've learned that my urges to transition are quickly followed by a new love awakening with relaxers. After I get a few detangling sessions under my belt I remember why cream crack and I are friends.

brucebettye

I learned that I love my hair and not to be so overly concerned about growth because my hair is growing.

I also need to wash my hair at least twice a week and deep condition each time. My hair loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeautifulRoots

I learned how to do flat twists, cornrow, and actually get on the path to learning how to style my hair

I learned that less product on my hair is better. I used to pile on products...smh Less product is more

Shea butter is AWESOME (and so is castor oil)

Oil rinisng helps my hair stay soft, and look shiny

I learned how to embrace the versatility of my hair (natural hair styles and flat ironing hair styles)