2010 Lose Minimal/No Hair While Detangling Challenge

anon123

Okay, I can't use just my fingers all the time. It takes too long. But I can use my fingers for the lower half, which is the more tangled half (because of SSKs) and then use the comb.

Kerryann

Ive been using the alter ego treatment and its been working i also comb my hair once a week so not much shedding at all not to mention JBCO has helped a lot

Kiki82

Ok so I washed today...I did a protein treatment on dry hair. Then I washed with a protein poo (didn't have any clarifying shampoo left) and washed once with moisturizing poo. I then followed it up with a moisturizing dc and some porosity conditioner. I left my hair in the same side part that I had from monday night...so I washed and DC without disturbing my hair....didn't lose much about 2 stands so far....hopefully I don't lose when I moisturize...

ETA: OK...so I decided not to detangle wet hair...I will wait until 80 percent dry to detangle...my hair will dry in a ponytail...

Last edited:

twinkletoes17

^^^^ Yes, detangling on 80%-ish wet hair has helped me too. Although, I did a little combing in the shower and was shocked not to see any hair on my shower comb. I still prefer on detangling damp hair because it has leave-ins/moisturizers, and it's much easier than the shower imo.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Ok so I finally detangled my hair last night after being in braids for 6wks. I was so happy with the results. I know to some the hair in the pic will look like a lot, but this time around that is 1/3 of what I usually have after a detangling session. I don't know what actually has helped me this time, because I was trying a lil of everything that was suggested. I think once I rebraid my hair for another 6weeks I will just stick with tea rinses to see how that works, if that doesn't work then I move on to the garlic condish method Sheryl uses.

Result of my detangling Natural 4a/b

Kiki82

Ok so here is a pic of all the hair that I lost last week during all my washes and co washes....I will try to decrease this amount of hair loss

Attachments

• Hair loss the week of dec. 20-26 2009.jpg
    Hair loss the week of dec. 20-26 2009.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 9

Charz

Sinister Minister
I'm in! I wash and detangle my hair every 7-10 days. First I prepoo with whatever. Afterwords I DC then I detangle in the shower with HV moist 24/7 comb. I am in twists 4-6 days and then rock a twist out for 2-4 days.

I use a shower strainer thingie to catch my hairs while I detangle in the shower.
Here was my last detangling session hairs:

I use a Hercules Magic Star Jumbo Rake wide toothed comb to detangle first. Then I use a smaller Hercules 1975 comb to further detangle.

Chevelure618

I lose very little hair when detangling. I cannot stress enough the importance of using seamless combs. The combs that most people buy at the BSS are crap. I would even go so far as to say that they are a MAJOR cause of afro-textured hair breakage. A good seamless combs glides right down the hair shaft and I am talking about last night with 11 weeks 4b NG.

The other thing that has helped me is the mind-set of "dematting" vs. "detangling". As long as my hair is dematted...I'm done. Why stress my hair more than I need to.

Vonnieluvs08

Can I join. I know I could be better about detangling my hair. I used a garlic supplement in the beginning of the year and there was a little difference in the amount of shed hair I had. I always thought I was on the higher end of the shed hair ratio of 50-100hairs.

I washed last night and will post pics later and start using the techniques mentioned. I only cowash once every 7-10days and I'm in twists the rest of the time.

taz007

I have been co-washing with Hello Hydration with my hair in a loose braid and I can see a difference in the amount of hair lost.

I think that I will continue to do this twice a week.

Jewell

Add me to the list! I thought I was losing too much hair during detangling, but I realized it wasn't when I went like 3 weeks between comb-outs! Fortunately, I didn't have any locs or mats develop, but the hair that came out (shedding, not really any breakage) was the size of a tennis ball! Partly due to the length and thickness of my hair, I guess...

I would still like to further decrease the amount coming out, and the only effective method I have found is to use my Goody wide-tooth comb, be very gentle, and take MSM supplements. It combats DHT which is a molecule that attacks the hair follicle, causing the hair to be shed prematurely, before the growth cycle/phase is complete for that individual hair. The products on the market like Rogaine are geared to decrease the action of DHT on the follicles to lower the hair loss associated with male (and female) pattern baldness. I found years ago that MSM works very well and lowering my shedding, and softens my hair texture as well (not including how good it is at detoxifying the body). I have to re-up on my supplements really soon!

happylife

i co washed yesterday.
i applied a mix of honey, garlic powder, dove moisture conditioner, and coconut oil to my hair.
i left it there for a few hours.
after, i rinsed it out and detangled in the shower some and again out of the shower. something about coconut oil has my hair feeling super strong and my strands look pseudo thick.

i have started taking fish oil along with my regular dose of gnc hair nail and skin vitamins.

here is my shedding from this cowash:

Last edited:

SVT

Just finished detangling. Here's what I did:

1. conditioner washed my natural hair w/Nexxus Humectress. I want flexible, stretchy strands so I'm using moisturizing conditioners at the moment. I hope the strategy works.

2. applied small amount of Humectress throughout hair; massaged GroHealthy Growth oil to scalp; clipped hair up and showered.

3. used large tooth comb to detangle hair - this went well, IMO.

4. rinsed hair with warm water as I alternated between combing hair under running water and massaging scalp.

5. applied small amount of Humectress as leave-in; massaged more GroHealthy oil to scalp; combed through.

6. parted hair in two sections and braided; applied Blue Magic Coconut grease to ends; covered with plastic cap; took pics; logged onto LHCF.

I'm satisfied with my results:

Last edited:

happylife

Just finished detangling. Here's what I did:

1. conditioner washed my natural hair w/Nexxus Humectress. I want flexible, stretchy strands so I'm using moisturizing conditioners at the moment. I hope the strategy works.

2. applied small amount of Humectress throughout hair; massaged GroHealthy Growth oil to scalp; clipped hair up and showered.

3. used large tooth comb to detangle hair - this went well, IMO.

4. rinsed hair with warm water as I alternated between combing hair under running water and massaging scalp.

5. applied small amount of Humectress as leave-in; massaged more GroHealthy oil to scalp; combed through.

6. parted hair in two sections and braided; applied Blue Magic Coconut grease to ends; covered with plastic cap; took pics; logged onto LHCF.

I'm satisfied with my results:

Wow! I wish my shedding was that minimal. I need to find a a better way to detangle for the sake of retention.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVT

Wow! I wish my shedding was that minimal. I need to find a a better way to detangle for the sake of retention.

That was detangling while wet/damp. I'm anxious to see how much hair sheds when I comb it dry tomorrow. :yep:

ETA: ugh! Tomorrow is today! Let me go to bed.

SVT

Ladies, that GroHealthy Growth Oil is the ish! :up:

I'm not sure which ingredient is working my tangles out but this oil will be my main product during the challenge. I really like that it has rosemary and nettle in there. :yep:

Also, that Humectress...my goodness! :blush: I haven't used the stuff in years but I see now that if I need moisture, Humectress will be one of my top choices. Now I'm itching to try my old buddies Kenra and Elucence once again. :drunk:

PinkyD

I just lost so much hair detangling last night! I would love to join, even though I was gentle...I heard a few snaps! and I haad a large clump at the end!

swalker31

I would love to be apart of this challenge, and I also I have two questions

1. How often should I detangle?

2. How often should I use the Poroscity Control?