2011 APL Challenge

i'm cowashing/dc/detangling once a week and leaving my hair in twists. i am trying to keep my hands out of my hair to see if i can reach my goal by the end of Aug. i wish i could cowash more but that is just doing too much to my hair right now. i can't rock the wash and gos anymore. i wish i could bun, but i need my hair to be longer for that.

Hi Ladies,

I'm just checking in. Nothing exciting, just trying to step back from the heat and stretch out my relaxer a little. I'm 7 wks post and going for at least 8. I know, nothing big but I was planning to relax at 6 wks so I stopped my sulfur applications a couple of weeks ago. If I had known I was going to still be going without relaxing I would have kept applying the sulfur. :ohwell:

I can't hang with the real stretchers but I'm trying. :yep: I will only stretch as long as I don't see excessive shedding or breakage. The minute I do, I don't care how many weeks post I am, I will relax (6wk minimum though).

I'm tired of not seeing any progress so I hope to see some soon by changing things up a bit. I started using NTM leave-in instead of the HE LTR and I'm sealing with castor oil so we'll see how that goes. My hair was kinda dry so I figured I needed something a litlte more moisturizing.

HHG!!

I'm still here! My hair is SL without any product in it. I cheated a few weeks ago and straightened one of my longest twists. I think I'm there, but refuse to do my whole head. :lachen: I have managed to keep manipulation low. I've stepped back from multiple washes per week and now co-wash 2-3x per week. I haven't used shampoo for a while. :perplexed

Hey All! I know I am past the cutoff so I will be joining this challenge from the sideline.

Tell us current length, relaxed or natural,current reggie, style(s) of choice, and other challenges you've joined
Current length is layered from chin length for the very top and around my face hairs to a little past the middle of my shoulder blades at my nape area.
I am joining this challenge because I just cut off the remaining relaxed ends last week which bumped me hitting BSL by the end of this year (or maybe not, I don't know) so instead I decided to take a step down and shoot for APL by the end of this year. So, with all that said, I am now 100% natural.
My current reggie is the following:

Alternate between these 2 wash session every 3-4 days -
Cowash with oils mixed in conditioner, DC under dryer for 30 mins, and either flat two strand twist for a twist out or roller set.

Oil rinse, SLS-Free shampoo, and either flat two strand twist for a twist out or roller set.

Every 2 weeks I use a stronger shampoo as well as do a light protein treatment.

I have 2 spots that aren't bald but real light on hair follicles (for as long as I can remember they have always been this way) and after reading what Nettle can do, I plan on doing an oil massage with this on those two spots 2 days a week.

Style of choice
Flat two strand twist out
For the first time last night, I got to see what my hair would look like if I was to let it just air dry in a wash and go kind of style and it looked real cute (as I was doing my flat twists on one side the other was drying up). But, I really want to grow and retain length so I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge of a wash and go just yet.

Other challenges
2011 Delightfully Delicious DC Challenge
2011 Cowash Challenge
HOTs, Oil Rinses, End/Scalp Sealing Challenge

Attachments

• Hair1.JPG
    Hair1.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Hair2.JPG
    Hair2.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Hair3.JPG
    Hair3.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 27
I have about 3 more inches to APL! This is the closest I've been in a long time.

I'm really anxious bc the length I'm at now (SL) is about where my hair has always broken off in the past. So to make it past this point will be a major accomplishment. I'm really hoping the fact that I'm doing things to my hair I've never done before will make the difference. Mainly very little heat, no chemicals, protective styling, and really moisturizing it consistently.

I'm hoping to flat iron my hair for Thanksgiving and it will be there. Or I may just wait til year end for Christmas/New Years.

Hi there's been some wonderful progress since the last time that I checked into this thread - well done to all you ladies who made it! :grin: To all of those still striving, keep going.:yep:

I was blowdrying my hair yesterday and my sister said "do you realise where your hair has grown to?" and she touched my back where my hair hung so I could see and she reckons I'm 1.5 to 2 inches away from APL! I'm so pleased as I just thought I really wouldn't be anywhere near until the end of the summer, maybe?

It's really renewed my motivation - I wasn't giving up - I'm sticking doggedly to my regime, and moisturising, sealing DCing with every wash, but I felt as if I was just going through the motions. I'm off to moisturise now - my hair deserves it!

Hey chica, I see that you only full detange once per week. Does this help you avoid breakage? I'm a daily co-washer and I use a shower comb, but I am looking to modify this routine a bit.

Hey ladies so I think I'm grazing APL, but won't do an official length check until July so we'll see where I'm at then. In the meantime I've switched up my Reggie just a bit for the warmer months ( June-Sept).
- co-wash daily or at least 3x weekly;leaving in some conditioner as my moisturizer and sealing with an oil.
- 1x week light protein treatment
- shampoo 1x week
- finger detangle during co-wash sessions and do a full detangle session with my shampoo
- DC 1-2x weekly
- ps of choice = buns

Hey chica, I see that you only full detange once per week. Does this help you avoid breakage? I'm a daily co-washer and I use a shower comb, but I am looking to modify this routine a bit.

karlajamaica

For me it definitely cuts down on breakage and I notice that if I use a conditioner with good slip I don't really need to use a cocmb. When I was transitioning I did this method and it cut down on breakage tremendously. if you try it let me know how it works for you.

I am trying to not use heat on my hair. i had a bun and now I have pin curls. I am moisturizing everyday. I am trying for full APL by December. I will not do a length check untill I get a relaxer and that will be in about 2 more weeks . But I am thinking about a twist out for next week or later in the week.

Hi Ladies! I just joined LHC a few days ago and I am aiming for APL by Dec 2011. I know its too late to offically join but Ill be posting my progress and cheering from the sideline!

Right now my reggie is weekly wash & DC , moisturize & seal daily, sulfur growth aid every other day , and Ill be bunning 90% of the time and on occasion half wigs.

Good luck to all!
This is mad old, but I really like your siggy :yawn:

It's really renewed my motivation - I wasn't giving up - I'm sticking doggedly to my regime, and moisturising, sealing DCing with every wash, but I felt as if I was just going through the motions. I'm off to moisturise now - my hair deserves it!

This is almost the same with me—minus the impeccable growth. I was getting ready to put my mehandi mix in when I noticed that my hair looked a *tiny bit* longer. It seemed like since I started this challenge it might have grown an inch. There's this stupid spot in the back of my head that WILL NOT GROW no matter what, and it's ridiculously shorter than the rest of my head and very difficult to get into cornrows/flat twists because it's so short. When I was putting my hair up last night, I noticed it wasn't nearly as difficult—my hair must have grown!

I'm not about to celebrate for this challenge because my length is still well within the SL range, but I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and not get frustrated/bored with my routine. Hope others are having great progress with their growth!

I want to join from the sidelines :)

1- At Shoulder Length/CBL

2-Current Reggie-
-Co Wash twice a week with Suave Shea Butter Almond Conditioner
-Deep Condition and moisturize with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque every week
-Deep Condition with Hair Mayonnaise ever 2 weeks
-Shampoo whenever necessary with Shea Butter Moisture Shampoo
-Seal hair especially ends with Oil Mixture
-Wash and Go/ Wash and Go Puff Daily (hey....its summer!)
-Take Multigummi Vitamins (he he he I'm a big kid)
-Massage hair daily under pressure from shower head (it feels soooooo good)

Hope to be full APL by Dec 2011

Starting Pic:

see attachment

Attachments

• IMG_20110608_105449.jpg
    IMG_20110608_105449.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Zedster
i recommend using MegaTek or Ovation for that trouble spot. i had a setback with some hair color. i had a reaction and it caused a tiny bald spot towards the front of my crown. i have been using the product and now hair is filling in. i used it before when i had two spots in the front. you will get to APL this year soon!

Last edited:
Hi!!

Just checking in.

I am presently in individual braids (and have been snce May 21st). I spray my scalp with water each morn (or as needed) and I've been moisturizing with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and sealing with coconut oil everyday (also when my hair feels dry). I will be re-braiding my edges either today or tomorrow. I am TRYING to keep these in until right before my birthday in July (no special reason, this will almost 2 months to the date of installation)--but I don't see that happening. I will for sure keep these for a month; if I get antsy...I will take down...let my hair breath and braid it back up. But I am doing my BEST to just boss up and take the two-months straight out.

I think I have about 1/4" of growth thus far..not completely happy, but meh...I am cool with that.

Tis all.

~S~

So, um...can I claim it? Can I, can I, pleeeeease? :drunk: I know it's not "full" or that healthy. But can I officially or technically claim it? :perplexed

eafed4a6.jpg

f661e2a4.jpg

i'm not doing another length check pic until Aug. i'm not trimming my hair until Sept/Oct either. i put some twists in my hair yesterday. it was hot and i had to come out of that wig.

I have about 3 more inches to APL! This is the closest I've been in a long time.

I'm really anxious bc the length I'm at now (SL) is about where my hair has always broken off in the past. So to make it past this point will be a major accomplishment. I'm really hoping the fact that I'm doing things to my hair I've never done before will make the difference. Mainly very little heat, no chemicals, protective styling, and really moisturizing it consistently.

I'm hoping to flat iron my hair for Thanksgiving and it will be there. Or I may just wait til year end for Christmas/New Years.

Imani
This is also me to a T! I am at the point where my hair has never went beyond and I keep saying when I get 10"(APL on me) I will know I have made it:lol:. That is 3 inches and 6 months away. I am not playing on the PS, moisturizing, sealing. That is what I will be doing from here on out.

Nothing new to report, just my good ol twists in a bun. It is working very well and I hope to continue doing this until at least fall, then perhaps switch to sew-ins.

Imani
This is also me to a T! I am at the point where my hair has never went beyond and I keep saying when I get 10"(APL on me) I will know I have made it:lol:. That is 3 inches and 6 months away. I am not playing on the PS, moisturizing, sealing. That is what I will be doing from here on out.

Nothing new to report, just my good ol twists in a bun. It is working very well and I hope to continue doing this until at least fall, then perhaps switch to sew-ins.

Yep, I'm doing the same ol plaits under the half wig. Thats what got me to SL, so hopefully it can get me to APL and beyond. The only thing I've added is I did a protein treatment, I used to avoid protein, but my ends were splitting, so I may start doing it very sporadically, like 2 or 3 times a year.

I've been trying to grow my hair for like the past 5 years :ohwell:, and this is the first time I've had a solid regimen. No more trying new stuff and new products for the most part. I'm excited I've found something that seems to be working. But it definitely gets boring and tedious.

My goal is 11 inches in the back of my head, just above my nape by year end. I will literally be awestruck when my hair gets that long.

OMG so I've finally had time to tend to
My hair after leaving it in a bun for like two weeks. It felt so good and relaxing to pamper myself and my hair was desperately craving some moisture. So I pre-poo'd with lekair cholesterol and detangled in ten sections. Combing through with my beloved lekair was easy as pie. Then I shampooed with tresemme frizzy to smooth and followed up with the conditioner. Air dried a nit and brushed on a bun and topped it off with my phony puff. Gonna try not to neglect my hair anymore since I'm serious about making apl by the end of the summer!

Hi Ladies. I'm joining. I've been away from LHCF for a long time, but I'm glad to be back!

I've been wearing weaves for the past two months. I'm taking a two week break now and just got a relaxer yesterday, so I'll do a length check tonight.

What I'll try to do differently going forward:
- not use brushes, fine tooth combs
- rollerset my leaveout hair for the weave, and just flatiron the roots
- apply JBCO around my nape and edges daily
- tie my scarf more loosely as to not apply too much tension to my edges

HHG to everyone!!!

So I'm rushing to get my babies to camp and school, but I wanted to share with y'all :grin:

I CW'd my hair last night and one of my braids was a little loose. When I unbraided it at the end to re-braid it, I stretched that section and it was just about at APL!!!! Baaaaarely :lol: but it was just about there :grin: :grin:

There is no one in my life that understands how big of a deal this is, so I wanted to share with you guys. 2 more weeks left in these braids, then I'll do a full length check.

Happy growing ladies!!

Back