~2012 Ayurvedic Hair Care Thread w/ Recipes~

An_gell

Hi ladies! The other thread was getting pretty long so I figured I would start a new one especially since I believe deeply in ayurvedic hair care. This isn't a challenge but I want to get back into doing ayurvedic paste in the new year. I use to do cassia once a month but slacked off but I intend to buy some more pastes and start again.

Please post your recipes and what they do for the hair. Hopefully this will help a new member who is looking for natural cures to their hair issues. Thank you!!

~Steph~

cbanks67

I just spent last night researching some powders I want to get soon. So I will be subbing. I'm new to using them.

An_gell

Great thread! I have some hair loss, and have been looking into ayurvedic hair care.

Hi! May I suggest onion & fenugreek powders mixed together add your favorite oil and bottled water. I use to do this about every two weeks, for awhile I just used fenugreek for its growth properties and it worked wonders for growth. Onion powder helps with hair loss, there is a book that I have titled "Grow Hair Fast: 7 Steps to a New Head of Hair in 90 days" by Riquette Hofstein, and in this book she discusses different types of vegetables and herbs and what they are best used for.

SimJam

wow this thread is so timely, I just pulled out my ayurvedic powders after not usinng for over a year.

sitting with a brahmi, aritha paste on my scalp/hair. This paste did my hair and scalp well when I was relaxed but have hardly used since Ive been natural

An_gell

Where can I buy neem and bringraj (sp) oil?

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

I usually buy bhringaraj oil from ayurnaturalbeauty.com or from Amazon.com. Neem can be ordered from From Nature with Love (FNWL) or moutainroseherbs.com. I usually always order from mountainroseherbs.com or ayurnaturalbeauty. I would order from FNWL but they are expensive to me. I really like moutainroseherbs.com, because their shipping is fast and they have organic products.

Ronnieaj

A thread after my own heart! I use the following herbs: aritha, brahmi, shikakai, maka (bhringraj), methi (fenugreek), amla, hibiscus, neem, tulsi, cassia and kalpi tone.

I will come back with recipes, since I actually have them written down at the house. I use tea rinses almost weekly; I'll be doing one when I get home today :yep:. I also make my acv rinse with an ayurveda water infused based, and make a daily spritz with another infused base and sometimes oil. I use oils in my butter blend and my MT mix. I use them EVERYWHERE!!

I just don't do pastes :nono:. I think I may start doing kalpi tone pastes in the new year to enhance my hair. My hair has gotten so much darker and shinier since I've been more consistent with my regime; I can't wait to see what the new year brings :grin:!

An_gell

I agree with Guitarhero, if you have an indian grocer definitely go there. I am in the military so depending on where I am stationed at the time I do not have the luxury of just going to a local indian grocer so I have to order my stuff online which is why I suggested those sites cuz thats where I usually order my stuff from.

Ronnieaj

My local indian grocer tends to only carry the brands that use mineral oil as a base, so I also order from fromnaturewithlove.com the most. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and just buy a small crockpot and infuse my own though. One of these days...:look:.

An_gell

My local indian grocer tends to only carry the brands that use mineral oil as a base, so I also order from fromnaturewithlove.com the most. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and just buy a small crockpot and infuse my own though. One of these days...:look:.

Ronnieaj, crockpot infusing sounds really nice and interesting. I might buys some oils and herbs and try that. :yep: Thanks for that suggestion, please come back with your recipes cuz I am looking to try some new ones in the new year. :)

SimJam

what was the name of the other thread you mentioned in the original post OP? Im under the steamer and and wud prolly just browse through it :giggle:

Ltown

Greyland
Hi! May I suggest onion & fenugreek powders mixed together add your favorite oil and bottled water. I use to do this about every two weeks, for awhile I just used fenugreek for its growth properties and it worked wonders for growth. Onion powder helps with hair loss, there is a book that I have titled "Grow Hair Fast: 7 Steps to a New Head of Hair in 90 days" by Riquette Hofstein, and in this book she discusses different types of vegetables and herbs and what they are best used for.

I have that book its really good don't recall onion being use:look: off to pull it out again. I used ayruveda powders as paste in the past but prefer tea rinses.

An_gell

I have that book its really good don't recall onion being use:look: off to pull it out again. I used ayruveda powders as paste in the past but prefer tea rinses.

It wasn't used in a particular recipe, but in the back it has a table with different types of herbs and stuff it has what they are good for you can also just google it.

I was sold on Ayurveda by the Moptop Maven's site,( I know her blog was used as a resource in the other thread as well.) I placed a huge order from AyurNatural a week ago, and I also ordered a few things from Ebay and Amazon. I went to my local Indian grocer, but all I picked up was Aritha and Shikakai. It was a tiny place. I'm excited to get everything. I'm going all Ayurvedic for awhile, I have seen fabulous results for people who adhere to an all Ayurvedic regimen. I'll still be using sulfur though. So by this time next week I should have everything, and I do mean everything! I literally ordered everything you can think of!

Aicer

Yes I'm going to start using powders and making pastes. I just ordered a lot of ayurvedic powders from butter-n-bars.com, so I'm to make a paste every week and see how my hair responds.

I have been infusing alma, brami, maka, and methi in coconut oil and using it as a prepoo. So far so good.

growinghealthyhair

Hey!!!!

An_gell

I have fenugreek powder, but where would I get onion powder(the only kind i have is my seasoning for cooking).

I have some oil that I'd love to add my powders too. But I thought that I had to let it sit for weeks in order to use it. I'd love to hear more info on your suggestions!

Aggie

This thread might help me use up some unused powders I still have so I join in. I have kalpi tone, amla, fenugreek, henna, bhringraj, ginger, indigo and brahmi powders still left. I also have some amla/brahmi oil and heenara oil. When they're out, I will be sticking with just evco or sesame oil for my ayurveda recipes.

My fotki album has my famous fenugreek seed rinse that leaves my hair incredibly soft. I love mixing different powders together and I used to use shikakai powder but stopped because it made my hair hard. I may re-incorporate it though, because it is a hair strengthening powder. I will just have to properly DC following a shikakai treatment.

ladysaraii

Im actually on a personal 6mo ayurveda challenge, using powders & bars so this is perfect timing. I like moptop maven's blog, she has great info on ayurveda

I did a paste last week, but I might try doing the teas for a while and see what affect that has on my hair.

Anyone use teas exclusively and not the pastes?

nicole625

Can someone please post instructions on how to make and use the tea rinses? I have a few of the powders but only use them for my skin and get great results.

Aggie

Can someone please post instructions on how to make and use the tea rinses? I have a few of the powders but only use them for my skin and get great results.

All you have to do is decide on which powder/s you want to use, add hot distilled or bottled water to it until it's a bit watery but not so watery that you lose all the conditioning properties, strain, allow to cool long enough to pour over your hair. You can let it stay on for about 2-3 minutes, wash out. Now I have poured it unstrained over my hair before, but the grains from the powders take too long to wash out, hence the straining.

I have done a shikakai/amla rinse before using 2 Tbs of each and added about 1 cup to a cup and a half of water, a few drops of rosemary or lavender essential oils for a nice tingle and extra growth stimulation. All this is done on previously oiled hair and scritched scalp for about 20-30 minutes, similar to a prepoo. This is where your ayurveda oils will come in.

Try using different powders to get different results.