ayurvedic everyday?

Auburn

Does anyone (relaxed, natural, etc.) do this everyday with good results? Is this only meant to do a few times a week? I want to go ayurvedic so I can thicken my hair EVEN MORE but I feel like if I dont wash my hair everyday, it'll dry out. I would love to see all the wonderful growth and thickening benefits of ayurvedic hair care. Darkened hair, sheen, etc... I'd like to take advantage of it. Are the teas as effective as the pastes? Any advice or stories to share ladies? Before and after pictures?

Last edited:

vestaluv1

I don't use Ayurvedic powders more than twice a week (on wash days), but I do use Vatika Oil everyday. I use Brahmi Amla oil to prepoo once to twice a week also.
I think using powders everyday will be too much... the powders can dry the hair out, which is why you have to deep condition afterwards. Besides its time consuming. I struggle with once a week because I work ridiculous hours :wallbash:.
I always use then as a rinse as the paste cause grits in my hair which lead to breakage. For some reason I can never get all the powders out of my hair no matter how long I stay under shower so I stay with the teas.
I know for others, the pastes are fine.
I have befores/afters in my siggy.

What do you actually plan on durig everyday Auburn?

Auburn

I don't use Ayurvedic powders more than twice a week (on wash days), but I do use Vatika Oil everyday. I use Brahmi Amla oil to prepoo once to twice a week also.
I think using powders everyday will be too much... the powders can dry the hair out, which is why you have to deep condition afterwards. Besides its time consuming. I struggle with once a week because I work ridiculous hours :wallbash:.
I always use then as a rinse as the paste cause grits in my hair which lead to breakage. For some reason I can never get all the powders out of my hair no matter how long I stay under shower so I stay with the teas.
I know for others, the pastes are fine.
I have befores/afters in my siggy.

What do you actually plan on durig everyday Auburn?

Thanks for your input. I was just wondering if It could be done daily. Im a cowashaholic. I'd wash my hair twice sometimes if I had time. I just think it would be difficult for me to break that habit and I want to know how this could come into play. With deep conditioning, do you mean with commercial products? Will that take away from any benefits of the ayurvedic practices? I plan on using the teas instead of the paste because i have a little coffee maker that makes a cup worth at a time.

ladylibra

I do it every other day... Sometimes every 2 days. Keep in mind, i still co-wash daily too. O use shikakai and amla powders, which i brew into a tea... Once a week or so i use the paste on my scalp. LOVE IT!!! :grin: also, i keep my hair in a protective style, so it makes it much easier to rinse with the tea, co-wash and go.

Auburn

Thanks ladies.

I think I have an oily scalp now. It used to take days for my scalp to get oily and dirty. I dont like that! :ohwell:

Noir

I do an ayurveda wash 2x week and CO wash with AO cons the rest of the week.

Before wash days I will pre-poo with coconut oil and scritch my scalp with a shikakai jojoba oil mix. Both promote growth and remove build up from the scalp. I will do a powder wash 2x a week or powder 1x a week and on the other wash day use either my homemade ayurvedic poo or ayurvedic poo bar.

For my tea/paste, I make a thick tea so it is similar to a paste but without the grits; which take forever to get out of my hair. I DC with a non-cone (biolage con balm) mixed with vatilka oil and fenugreek (gives that lovely slip)

I do nightly head massages with some home made oils or Mahabhringraj.

I moisturize my hair with a homemade brahmi mix/spritz and seal with vatika oil or my vedic whipped butter creme.

Once a month I will straighten my hair using high end salon products so during that week I just stick to the head massages.

HTH

Last edited:

trj1922

I wash only weekly either with a random shikakai based blend of whatever is clever from my powder stock or the Godrej Bhringraj and Amla bar if I am pressed for time. First I oil with either Ramtirth or Vatika. I feel no need to be in my hair wetting it every day though I have done it in the past and it doesn't cause harm. You just have to know your hair.

I use pastes, so I can't compare to the teas. I just recently started deep conditioning afterward because with the amount of oil I put in prior, the powders don't strip my hair. To the advice about brahmi and bhringraj, I would add that you can also use amla. A good DC that has an Ayurvedic base is the Sitrinillah by Hairveda.

For daily moisture, I usually use Qhemet Biologics (try the Amla and Olive, if you want something Ayurvedic in the hair consistently) or Products of the Earth Hair Revitalizer, which also has a strong Ayurvedic component. Good luck!