2017 Shoulder Length Challenge

Evolving78

So I'm trying to reverse the effects of what I am sure is alopecia. The left side of my head has started to thin and I've been paying extra special attention to it. But I notice that the area is also very sore. I can't pull it too tight or at all really unless I want to feel that annoying sore feeling. Right now when my hair is curly it still looks really full but when I pull it back you can see how sparse it is and when I do my twists/bantu knots you can see there is more space on that side. I want to stop this before it gets worse. I've already cut out the headbands and that really helped my entire hair line and crown but it still looks alopecia is trying to move in there. How do I reverse this?
Can you go to a dermatologist? You could be having some follicle issues/follicle inflammation. Also try a scalp massage with tea tree and peppermint oil/jojoba oil.

Evolving78

No color and I'm natural. Could definitely be my diet though. I only shampoo once a week but I hardly ever put oil on my scalp even though I was supposed to get better at doing scalp massages. I wonder why it's only on that side of my head though when everywhere else is fine. My nape has always been the trouble spot but it's thriving really. I have to get it under control. I'm going to start doing some research and hopefully turn this around. I'll take some photos and post later. I should start documenting this now.
How long do you deep condition? What other treatments are you doing? A scalp scrub may help.

LdyKamz

How long do you deep condition? What other treatments are you doing? A scalp scrub may help.
I don't think I've deep conditioned with my dryer this entire year. I've just been wearing a plastic cap in the shower for like 10 minutes which is why I think my hair didn't do as well as it could have. Pure laziness. I'm going to try the tea tree, peppermint and jojoba oils. I think I have a oil mix like this. I can't remember what else is in there tho. Probably jbco.

Evolving78

I don't think I've deep conditioned with my dryer this entire year. I've just been wearing a plastic cap in the shower for like 10 minutes which is why I think my hair didn't do as well as it could have. Pure laziness. I'm going to try the tea tree, peppermint and jojoba oils. I think I have a oil mix like this. I can't remember what else is in there tho. Probably jbco.
That will work. I had a problem like that two years ago. The mixture with the jbco really worked well. I was straight up patches in the back of my crown area.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Cute!! Now y'all got me all excited. @KiWiStyle I swore up and down I would never ever wear a wig. Only because I feel like I would look silly and it would be so obvious. But like @shortdub78 suggested I might get a custom one. My sister is so excited. Lol This is her territory so let's hope she don't have me looking a fool.

And plus I get hot easily, lol. I'll never forget the time I snatched my wig off on my ride home after work on the expressway. It was that serious, lol.

I can't wait to see her creation!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
So I'm trying to reverse the effects of what I am sure is alopecia. The left side of my head has started to thin and I've been paying extra special attention to it. But I notice that the area is also very sore. I can't pull it too tight or at all really unless I want to feel that annoying sore feeling. Right now when my hair is curly it still looks really full but when I pull it back you can see how sparse it is and when I do my twists/bantu knots you can see there is more space on that side. I want to stop this before it gets worse. I've already cut out the headbands and that really helped my entire hair line and crown but it still looks alopecia is trying to move in there. How do I reverse this?

I was watching a video on this today. Dr. Yolonda Lenzy is a dermatologist and cosmetologist so she blended the two professions to offer skin and hair help. She's now offering a 11 days of Christmas lunch and learn at about 11:50 daily. Thinning edges was today's topic.

She also does FB Live if you don't have Periscope.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/ayciFDFY...4bB7AqSmDWO4YGyalZ4aZYjORlJAgB_RSjUzZzZFBh1r-

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
No color and I'm natural. Could definitely be my diet though. I only shampoo once a week but I hardly ever put oil on my scalp even though I was supposed to get better at doing scalp massages. I wonder why it's only on that side of my head though when everywhere else is fine. My nape has always been the trouble spot but it's thriving really. I have to get it under control. I'm going to start doing some research and hopefully turn this around. I'll take some photos and post later. I should start documenting this now.
Is that the side you sleep on? Yes, getting a handle on it now is a good idea...don't let it get to bad.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
That will work. I had a problem like that two years ago. The mixture with the jbco really worked well. I was straight up patches in the back of my crown area.

I was watching this periscope video today and she doesn't advise use of castor oil. She explain why in the video. I know girl, not the JBCO. People have had tons of success with it, including you. I used jbco but never long enough to say one way or another.

faithVA

See if you can narrow down the cause. Is health related? Is it your diet? Some medication? Using color, relaxers or some other chemicals, not shampooing often enough, scalp too dry?
Are you allergic to some ingredients to in your
When was the last time you had lab work done

LdyKamz

So went to look at wigs. Oh no! I can't wear any of them. I look ridiculous. I tried on a few and my sis tried to snap pics so I could compare and get this. Rules are we can't take pics in the wigs. There were signs even though I didn't notice them until they pointed it out. Got some darn nerve when they probably guilty of stealing pics online and saying it's one of their wigs for sale. Anyway I hated them all y'all! I didn't like not one. When my sister tried on some hers looked good. So now I'm going to find a style I like and see if my sis can make it. That was a last resort because she takes forever to do everything.

LdyKamz

@faithVA I had lab work done maybe June. Nothing out of the ordinary but I wasn't really looking for anything. Here is the side. Curly it looks fine even though the part is still there from when I sectioned for my bantu knots. But when I pull it back you can see how thin and sparse it is. I just massaged with some oil and it feels all tingly and nice.

Eta: Sorry I can't tell how big the pics are since I'm on my phone.

Instasize_1219214734.jpg
Instasize_1219214759.jpg

faithVA

@faithVA I had lab work done maybe June. Nothing out of the ordinary but I wasn't really looking for anything. Here is the side. Curly it looks fine even though the part is still there from when I sectioned for my bantu knots. But when I pull it back you can see how thin and sparse it is. I just massaged with some oil and it feels all tingly and nice.

Eta: Sorry I can't tell how big the pics are since I'm on my phone.

View attachment 382815
View attachment 382817
I don't really see anything. It looks fine to me. So if it is thin you have caught it in time to work on it.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
So you all are telling me I'm seeing things? :lol: I feel like it's right at the top the thin little spaces at the hair line.

If it's the only area I think you're talking about, it looks like it could be breakage oppose to thinning. You know if it looks different. If it's breakage it could be how you tie your scarf, bonnet, it could be from using edge control, mechanical breakage from brushing, etc.

My daughter is experiencing breakage along her entire hairline and I suspect it's because of how she was tying her scarf for years so I switched her to a bonnet. Her edges are also tender to the touch which could indicate clogged follicles so I'm taking measure to make sure her scalp is clear of buildup. It could also be her ponytails/buns so we make sure they are loose.

You're going to have to really assess what the culprit coykd be and stop doing it. Start the process of elimination. Is the area shorter or just thinner?

LdyKamz

If it's the only area I think you're talking about, it looks like it could be breakage oppose to thinning. You know if it looks different. If it's breakage it could be how you tie your scarf, bonnet, it could be from using edge control, mechanical breakage from brushing, etc.

My daughter is experiencing breakage along her entire hairline and I suspect it's because of how she was tying her scarf for years so I switched her to a bonnet. Her edges are also tender to the touch which could indicate clogged follicles so I'm taking measure to make sure her scalp is clear of buildup. It could also be her ponytails/buns so we make sure they are loose.

You're going to have to really assess what the culprit coykd be and stop doing it. Start the process of elimination. Is the area shorter or just thinner?
Just thin. The length and growth seems on par with the other side but much thinner. I mainly wear bonnets. I usually only wear a scarf on the day I do the knots to keep them in place and bonnet the rest of the week. And strangely it's only that one side acting a fool.

I am going to start focusing on my diet more and more water. And see how the scalp massages work. I'll also pay extra attention to little habits to see if there's something else I'm doing that's causing this. I'm also finally going to clarify and see if that helps. Haven't done that in ages.

Thanks for all the advice ladies!!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Just thin. The length and growth seems on par with the other side but much thinner. I mainly wear bonnets. I usually only wear a scarf on the day I do the knots to keep them in place and bonnet the rest of the week. And strangely it's only that one side acting a fool.

I am going to start focusing on my diet more and more water. And see how the scalp massages work. I'll also pay extra attention to little habits to see if there's something else I'm doing that's causing this. I'm also finally going to clarify and see if that helps. Haven't done that in ages.

Thanks for all the advice ladies!!

Sounds like a good game plan! Yes, clarifying is necessary periodically to remove stubborn products from your hair and scalp.

Do you see that little white patch? That's product build up on my hair and I was clarifying once to twice a month. I still think it may have been hard water build up though. It does the same on the scalp.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 31

LdyKamz

Sounds like a good game plan! Yes, clarifying is necessary periodically to remove stubborn products from your hair and scalp.

Do you see that little white patch? That's product build up on my hair and I was clarifying once to twice a month. I still think it may have been hard water build up though. It does the same on the scalp.
Wow! That's interesting. Imagine if that was really clogging my scalp. I need to clarify asap. You just reminded me about something too! My last hair analysis Jenn said something about diminishing root sheaths and follicular dystrophy which means in a nutshell - thinning!! The brief research I did at the time only said something about the cause being some medications and vitamin deficiencies. She did give me a vitamin regimen to start and I got lazy and slacked off. I'll have to pull out that analysis and revisit.

Today my hair is looking nice and my scalp is felling airy from last nights scalp massage. I know massaging everyday will kill my styles though.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Wow! That's interesting. Imagine if that was really clogging my scalp. I need to clarify asap. You just reminded me about something too! My last hair analysis Jenn said something about diminishing root sheaths and follicular dystrophy which means in a nutshell - thinning!! The brief research I did at the time only said something about the cause being some medications and vitamin deficiencies. She did give me a vitamin regimen to start and I got lazy and slacked off. I'll have to pull out that analysis and revisit.

Today my hair is looking nice and my scalp is felling airy from last nights scalp massage. I know massaging everyday will kill my styles though.

Yes, I have the same problem, its in my crown area I think. I sent them a separate sample of my bangs area which I thought was thinning and she said that area shows no evidence of diminished root. Now that im caring for my hair as she recommended, my bangs are growing in nice and thick! I'm guessing it must have come from my crown, which she says to massage with aloe Vera gel from a plant. I bought a small plant but only did it once, lol. Lazy.

I'm glad your massage helped your scalp feel lively again! Yes we should print out the recommandation and put it somewhere it'll be seen daily, it's a nice reminder! You want hair or do you want flawless? Just so you'd know, flawless is impossible if your edges pack up and leave, lol.

Evolving78

So @shortdub78 what's so special about Keracare? You like their products right?
Yes! I'm in love again! I hate I started trying a bunch of different stuff over the years. The shampoo and the detangling mist are a ph level of 6, so it opens the cuticle just enough to allow moisture in. The conditioner and leave-in are a ph level of 4.5, so it's brings the hair right at the level that it should be at, to control frizz, elasticity, smoothness, and shine. I wanna stick with a line where all of the products work together, to give me what my hair needs, which is balance.
Also their products aren't laced with a bunch of fillers and proteins. Some of them have hydrolized wheat protein, which is suitable for low porosity hair.
They are light and don't weight my hair down. Since going back to using these products my hair feels better. I used these products when I faithfully went to the salon and never had to have a protein treatment. Now that I have been doing stuff on my own, I got caught and fell down the rabbit hole.

Also to aid in protection and slip, I started and will continue with using a clear rinse/gloss. You know my hair has been bleached, so I need all of the protection I can get!