• Forum Upgraded: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/recent-forum-upgrade.849851/

2021 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

icsonia22

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Lately I've been throwing rope twist using my own hair into a bun. Before that, i was doing mini braids but they require too much manipulation during take down.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
I moisturize when needed and re-do when my hair starts webbing (usually around week 5). I've been able to go as long as 9 weeks without washing my hair during the winter but I'll have to go back to once a month washes during the hotter months.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
i used a paddle brush back in January on straightened hair and it caused breakage so now I'm trying to grow out the damage and get to MBL all over my head (growing out an undercut in the back of my head)

5. How often will you restyle your hair?
hopefully only once every 5 weeks or as needed

6. Include Starting Pic

pics in pink cami were stolen from another challenge I'm in (pics taken on feb 8, 2021) because i didn't feel like taking a twist down for a length check. pic of bun from today

Attachments

• 20210407_064225_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20210407_064225_copy_756x1008.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210208_130736_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    20210208_130736_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210208_131513_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    20210208_131513_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

freeasabird

I'm under the dryer now with a Roller set. My hair was almost 3 weeks post wash and still looking great but I was starting to get flakes near my hairline...probably from the repeat aloe Vera gel I used to slick down my braid. So now I'll have a fresh and clean canvas to French braid in about an hour and a half. :bdance:

VictoriousBrownFlower

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Lately I've been throwing rope twist using my own hair into a bun. Before that, i was doing mini braids but they require too much manipulation during take down.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
I moisturize when needed and re-do when my hair starts webbing (usually around week 5). I've been able to go as long as 9 weeks without washing my hair during the winter but I'll have to go back to once a month washes during the hotter months.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
i used a paddle brush back in January on straightened hair and it caused breakage so now I'm trying to grow out the damage and get to MBL all over my head (growing out an undercut in the back of my head)

5. How often will you restyle your hair?
hopefully only once every 5 weeks or as needed

6. Include Starting Pic

pics in pink cami were stolen from another challenge I'm in (pics taken on feb 8, 2020) because i didn't feel like taking a twist down for a length check. pic of bun from today
ur hair is gorge....

VictoriousBrownFlower

I'm under the dryer now with a Roller set. My hair was almost 3 weeks post wash and still looking great but I was starting to get flakes near my hairline...probably from the repeat aloe Vera gel I used to slick down my braid. So now I'll have a fresh and clean canvas to French braid in about an hour and a half. :bdance:
yeah i get the flakes from my gel too if i go longer than a few wks.... i don't know why but since moving into this new apt i started getting dandruff again. i'm hoping this oil infusion helps with that.

freeasabird

PhotoGrid_Plus_1617972716775.jpg

20210409_084449.jpg

Pinned it up to keep it off my neck. I know most people tuck their braid tails under but I find that it pulls on my nape when I do it that way. Pinning it to the side right next to the braid helps even out that tension and keeps me from even knowing it's there. This one should last a full week before I take it down and rebraid.

VictoriousBrownFlower

my chagrin valley products came. So i'm currently infusing the stimulation tea in olive and castor oil. The oil and mesulin bag with herbs is in the double boiler on low heat... i'm planning to let it steep for around 7-10 hrs. Then i will turn off the heat and let it continue to steep until the oil cools fully and put it in an applicator bottle. The herbs act smell good... like green tea with peppermint.

VictoriousBrownFlower

i ended up only leaving the double boiler on for an hr and a half. i put a lid on it after that aand will let it steep with no heat til at least noon. Then i will put on plastic gloves and ring out the tea bag and store it in an applicator bottle in the fridge.

Lissa0821

I have the best mini twist results with Black Murrays Beeswax, it is not as thick as the regular one and it actually spreads easily on my fingers and hair. My twist plump right up after twisting and it looks good for two weeks. Also it seems a little easier to wash out as well. I found Amla oil really breaks it down if I apply and let it sit for a while prior to washing it out.

VictoriousBrownFlower

chagrin valley products worked amazing for me. My hair was so silky and moisturized after my wash yesterday. The oil infusion was super simple and came out great. after i was done washing i applied my leave in sealed with shea butter and oiled my scalp... then i twisted the section i was done with and moved on to the next. My hair came out great. def a keeper.

icsonia22

Snapchat-709352880_copy_160x313.jpgSnapchat-1805252877_copy_160x313.jpgI have been stalking the blogs of some natural hair veterans and gleaning ideas for ways to style my twist. I would normally just throw them in a bun and call it a day but my husband swears up and down that i never do my hair. Being a lazy natural is what I'm good at.

On another note, idk if i want to wash my hair in these twist and re-do them one by one or take them all out and henna. Our newest addition is 7 weeks so I'm guessing that post partum shedding is right around the corner. I need to do whatever is going to get the shed hair out the best.

VictoriousBrownFlower

View attachment 471249View attachment 471251I have been stalking the blogs of some natural hair veterans and gleaning ideas for ways to style my twist. I would normally just throw them in a bun and call it a day but my husband swears up and down that i never do my hair. Being a lazy natural is what I'm good at.

On another note, idk if i want to wash my hair in these twist and re-do them one by one or take them all out and henna. Our newest addition is 7 weeks so I'm guessing that post partum shedding is right around the corner. I need to do whatever is going to get the shed hair out the best.
thats a beautiful style... congrats on the baby.... why dont u try taking viviscal to prevent hair shedding?

Meritamen

Mermaiden
So a few weeks ago or was it last week (I don't even know what day it is anymore. What is time? lol) I pressed my hair which was a fail, so followed that up by washing out the press, re-blow drying, and then put my hair into twists. This time bigger ones.
I like the look of the mini twists but I don't have the energy to install that many and kinda want to see how my hair does with bigger twists. But I do enjoy that my hair looks fuller and not a stringy as it did with the smaller size because of the relaxed ends.
Going to stay in twists until at least this November which would make 2 years of growing out the relaxer. An upside is not having to deal with SSKs.

snoop

View attachment 471249View attachment 471251I have been stalking the blogs of some natural hair veterans and gleaning ideas for ways to style my twist. I would normally just throw them in a bun and call it a day but my husband swears up and down that i never do my hair. Being a lazy natural is what I'm good at.

Congrats! I'm all for super easy hair routines, especially when you have to look after kids.

VictoriousBrownFlower

So a few weeks ago or was it last week (I don't even know what day it is anymore. What is time? lol) I pressed my hair which was a fail, so followed that up by washing out the press, re-blow drying, and then put my hair into twists. This time bigger ones.
I like the look of the mini twists but I don't have the energy to install that many and kinda want to see how my hair does with bigger twists. But I do enjoy that my hair looks fuller and not a stringy as it did with the smaller size because of the relaxed ends.
Going to stay in twists until at least this November which would make 2 years of growing out the relaxer. An upside is not having to deal with SSKs.
cograts on almost reaching 2 yrs transitioning....