How many inches per month?

• 2 inch per month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than the above per month

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vintageglam

OP I think you should have started at 0.25cm and then worked your way upto 2 inches as the average is 0.5 inches a month.

ChristmasCarol

Did you ever see any proof of that? I find it difficult to believe that she got 32 inches of growth in a year. Wouldn't she be in the Guinness Book of World records or something?

That's what I was thinking! Her hair would have been floor length when she began to walk, if she is telling the truth. IF her hair does grow that fast, it has nothing to do with having 3c hair and Indian "mixededness", IMHO.

Sianna

My hair grows about half an inch per month. In the back it seems to grow just a bit faster. Not enough to get excited about. :rolleyes:

In the front and on the sides it grows just a tad bit slower, but not enough to be disappointed about. :lachen:

I don't know what my yearly growth rate is yet as I have only started monitoring my hair since I went natural back at the end of January. If I am able to continue maintaining my length as I have been thus far, I'll have a better idea by the time I reach my BC-anniversary. :yep:

bride91501

For you ladies that said that you get less than 1/2" of growth per month, how do you know that this is due to you not retaining all of your growth?

HauteHippie

I retain an average of 6 inches each year, so my hair must grow about 1/2 inch per month. But in the front it is much slower. It probably grows at 1/4-1/3 inch per month in the front.

SingBrina

That's what I was thinking! Her hair would have been floor length when she began to walk, if she is telling the truth. IF her hair does grow that fast, it has nothing to do with having 3c hair and Indian "mixededness", IMHO.

Hmm I feel the Indian has something to do with it..... idk, because then it would be genetics right ;)... just an opinion..

But we were thinking its because her curly hair is always in wet buns and recently it slowed down because she started pressing it mroe often than ever before.

SingBrina

Did you ever see any proof of that? I find it difficult to believe that she got 32 inches of growth in a year. Wouldn't she be in the Guinness Book of World records or something?

i am just posting it, idk, not my hair, i just thought it was interesting

SingBrina

Oh and btw for the "floor length comment" it wouldnt be if she trimmed it. So no need for the rudeness its just a post i put because i was amazed girl

LaFemmeNaturelle

:lachen::lachen::lachen:WTH did you get 32 inches from? She said 8 inches every 6 months which would be 16 inches a year not 32 lmao

And yes that could very well happen but I wouldn't say it's because she's mixed with Indian and I don't think hair type has anything to do with it. If it did, and she's 3c, then type 1 women should be getting about 3 inches a month if that's the logic. The lower hair types can RETAIN length more easily but that doesn't mean they are growing faster. She also could be overestimating. I know girls who tell me they have about 4 inches of new growth and their like 2 months post :rolleyes: and they always expect me to have soooo much more growth than I have (they claim to have more growth than me at 2 months post and I'm nearly 8 months). Most people are not pulling out tape measures and measuring their hair. Only the hair-obsessed lol

Anywho's I retained about 8 or 9 inches this past year. Don't know how fast my hair grows because I don't measure my new growth stretched. I'll be able to determine my growth rate when I finally chop.

Last edited:

Missjae09

I'm no expert... however....I don't believe that hair type determines growth rate, I think its more about retaining length.. I do believe that hair type determines how difficult it is to retain length. I think that 4b's tend to be drier which makes length retention more difficult and more prone to breakage.

africanqueen456

My friend said her hair grows 8inches every six months.... so hers is like 1.3 inches per month... when she was younger she said it was 8inches every three months, I was like wow! So I wanted to do a thread on it. She is mixed with Indian. Has like type 3c hair.

Yes I also do not believe she gets 8 inches per 3 months...The most I have heard was 2 inches per month due to healthy practices such as exercises and more protein consumption.Honestly I believe people measure their hair incorrectly too.
Her race and her curl pattern have nothing to do with getting fast growth. That is just a myth. If race and/or curl patter had anything to do with it,then there would not longhaircommunity which is a hair forum with mostly white members.

africanqueen456

:lachen::lachen::lachen:WTH did you get 32 inches from? She said 8 inches every 6 months which would be 16 inches a year not 32 lmao

And yes that could very well happen but I wouldn't say it's because she's mixed with Indian and I don't think hair type has anything to do with it. If it did, and she's 3c, then type 1 women should be getting about 3 inches a month if that's the logic. The lower hair types can RETAIN length more easily but that doesn't mean they are growing faster. She also could be overestimating. I know girls who tell me they have about 4 inches of new growth and their like 2 months post :rolleyes: and they always expect me to have soooo much more growth than I have (they claim to have more growth than me at 2 months post and I'm nearly 8 months). Most people are not pulling out tape measures and measuring their hair. Only the hair-obsessed lol

Anywho's I retained about 8 or 9 inches this past year. Don't know how fast my hair grows because I don't measure my new growth stretched. I'll be able to determine my growth rate when I finally chop.

first she said her friend recieves 8 inches every 6 months..Then she said in her childhood It was 8 inches every three months:ohwell:.

SingBrina

Hey thanks for not making me feel like an idiot! And that makes perfect sense, yeah i think it is an overstatement, but i found it rather interesting.... :) and as for the retaining part, yeah, since I have been on this forum I am starting to understand this, thanks for breaking it down

SingBrina

I'm no expert... however....I don't believe that hair type determines growth rate, I think its more about retaining length.. I do believe that hair type determines how difficult it is to retain length. I think that 4b's tend to be drier which makes length retention more difficult and more prone to breakage.

Thanks I agree! That makes perfect sense :)

SingBrina

Yes I also do not believe she gets 8 inches per 3 months...The most I have heard was 2 inches per month due to healthy practices such as exercises and more protein consumption.Honestly I believe people measure their hair incorrectly too.
Her race and her curl pattern have nothing to do with getting fast growth. That is just a myth. If race and/or curl patter had anything to do with it,then there would not longhaircommunity which is a hair forum with mostly white members.

Yeah? Hmm well that makes sense, and I have never heard of any hair growing that fast either, lol hmm but yeah, I guess I am still stuck on the myths :)

But I do agree with you

SingBrina

first she said her friend recieves 8 inches every 6 months..Then she said in her childhood It was 8 inches every three months:ohwell:.

Yeah I guess her hair was better taken care of in childhood so she "retained" more hair, and now it grows slower. So thus childhood she could have 8 inches in three months and now older its 8 inches in 6 months... yeah :) but idk

SingBrina

Well anyhow, with all the retaining, mixed and hair talk and my crazy myths!!! I see retaining is the way!!!! And I should have went lower on my poll number!!! Now about retaining hmmmm....... :)

SimJam

0.5 inch per month.

I BC'd in november @ 5 weeks post and now my hair is on average 4.5 inches long all around (front ~4 inches, middle/ear region ~4.5 and nape area ~5 inches)

ChristmasCarol

Oh and btw for the "floor length comment" it wouldnt be if she trimmed it. So no need for the rudeness its just a post i put because i was amazed girl

"when she began to walk", referred to her age. That means at age 1 (12 months), her hair would have been 32 inches long - clearly longer than her height at 365 days.

I wasn't trying to be rude, and I'm sorry that you took it that way.

If using logic/reasoning and being skeptical about such an astounding and undocumented growth rate is rude, then I guess I'll just continue to be rude.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tyra

The average 1/2 inch per month.
Every now and then I get 3/4 -1inch. But those instances are few and far between.

bride91501

I have another question (I'm a newbie- don't shoot me! lol).....for those of you that sometimes or always get more than 1/2" per month, are you finding that this happens when you're working out more?

I work out about 5-6 days per week, and since I just BC'd 6 weeks ago, I'm anxious to learn how this may affect my growth rate.

MissSenegal

I have another question (I'm a newbie- don't shoot me! lol).....for those of you that sometimes or always get more than 1/2" per month, are you finding that this happens when you're working out more?

I work out about 5-6 days per week, and since I just BC'd 6 weeks ago, I'm anxious to learn how this may affect my growth rate.

I think it affects it positively. I work out 5 days a week and try to eat as clean as possible and my hair and skin have never looked better. I bc'ed to a half an inch in November and now my hair is almost full neck length. Not only that but my hair is healthier.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Just remeasured and this is what I got. From the crown back I get a 1/2 a month. From the nape to an inch back up,I get a little over a 1/2 inch a month. From the crown forward I get a little over 1/4 inch a month.

Last edited:

loulou82

I retain 4-5 inches a year depending on the area. My crown grows the fastest and my sides and napes are the slowest.