A New Henna Thread

Jhuidah

Does anyone know if you still get the full benefits of henna if you don't wait for full dye release? I get some red (I can see it in the sun when I go outside), but I use Jamila--I have not mixed it up far enough in advance or left it on long enough for it to hit the 12-hour mark. But I can definitely see the difference in my hennaed hair--my wave/curl pattern seems to be more defined, and I'm seeing a bit less breakage.

I guess I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial if I waited for the full dye release. Especially in terms of gaining strength in my strands.

biancaelyse

I am recovering from my henna addiction. I did it so much that I started losing my natural curls in places so I have cut back.

I buy Jamila Henna for $1.49/100 gram box or Reshma Henna for $2.49/200 gram box. The Reshma is a little bit better in price but sometimes I prefer to make it in smaller batches.

I mix 100gs of henna with about 7 oz of hot (not boiling tea) and atout 3 tbs of ACV and let it sit out all day. I then add a generous squirt of honey and apply to my dry, unwashed hair. I wrap in plastic, leave on all night and rinse out in the morning. I co wash with VO5 and let airdry.

veggiegirl314

I use Reshma henna, and I love it. The dye release is so quick!

I mix it with green tea and honey and let it sit on my hair for a few hours.

I need to henna soon. I might do it this weekend or the next.

Lucky's Mom

I use Lavendar's Henna Gloss Recipe -
slightly modified.

100 g henna
20 g alma
1/3 c Lustrasilk
1/3 c homemade condish
coconut & olive oils...

Amazingly soft wonderfully conditioned hair. this was 1000 times better than the 1st time I henna'd..

prettywhitty

Subscribing to thread. Will try henna in two weeks after another amla treatment. I have the Karishima henna from the Indian grocery store. My plan was to mix with green or chamomile tea, plain yogurt, and vatika oil. Does that sound okay or should I add conditioner to it as well?

HealthyHair2007

Does anyone know if you still get the full benefits of henna if you don't wait for full dye release? I get some red (I can see it in the sun when I go outside), but I use Jamila--I have not mixed it up far enough in advance or left it on long enough for it to hit the 12-hour mark. But I can definitely see the difference in my hennaed hair--my wave/curl pattern seems to be more defined, and I'm seeing a bit less breakage.

I guess I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial if I waited for the full dye release. Especially in terms of gaining strength in my strands.

I think it's perfectly ok. The dye isn't want makes the hair strong, it's the Henna itself. I usually use my mix as soon as I mix it and only leave it on maybe an hour most times. There has been times I left it on for a few hous, but most times it's just an hour. I think this is the best "growth aid" I have tried thus far......:yep: My hair is soooo much thicker than what it was. My sides would always break off and now they are just about collar bone. I use henna once a touch up an my hair is liking it a lot.

Platinum

I henna'd last night.:yay: I used:

75 grams Jamila Henna
2 tsp Amla powder
3 tsp Brahmi powder
Maka powder (forgot how much I added)
Some Amla oil
Suave Humectant Condish

The mixture sat for 12 hrs before I applied it and I slept in the mixture. My hair ended up being much softer than the first time I henna'd. DC'ing now but I have to go pick up a load in a few hours. If it doesn't take long, I may come home and do the Indigo. I plan to henna more often. My last treatment was 6 months ago.

I was surprised that the mix washed out very easily this time as well.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I hennaed last night too, Platinum and I are about to get onto the same henning schedule :lol:

My henna details are here

The color came out fabulous and my hair feels wonderful. The Nupur brand is a keeper for me! :yep:

AtlantaJJ

I think putting the Alma in the henna stops the relaxing of the curl. Our Canadian henna friend (I think her name is Kadisha)posted about Alma and curls in the big long henna thread once.

exubah

I just did my second henna (Jamila brand) yesterday and I totally LOVE the results!!! I want to go black but I made the mistake of ordering Henna for Black Hair instead of Indigo :wallbash:....now I have enough henna to last me over a year...:nono:....gatta try ordering the indigo again :wallbash:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I just did my second henna (Jamila brand) yesterday and I totally LOVE the results!!! I want to go black but I made the mistake of ordering Henna for Black Hair instead of Indigo :wallbash:....now I have enough henna to last me over a year...:nono:....gatta try ordering the indigo again :wallbash:

To the bolded...was there a problem with it other than you ordering too much? Is 200grams too much (that's what I am going to purchase) :confused:

PhiLee

Henna is very drying and you should only do a treatment every 3-4 weeks and intensively moisturize after each and in between. Be careful with it.

I'm natural, but I've not found this to be true at all. I do weekly hennas and my hair is as moisturized as ever. But I keep it super- simple: henna left at room temperature 3-4 hours (or in a jar on my vent!), water.

No lemon juice, no tea, no paprika, no oils..:drunk: no amla, no honey, no cinnamon--just henna and water. I leave it on overnight and DT with whatever's available for a half hour after rinsing.

PhiLee

Oh, and speaking of henna-- I have it in right now!

The only downside is that it can build up, at least briefly. I have a TERRIBLE curls-day the day following a henna. That day I wear my hair pulled back or in a loose twist- out. But the next day, usually after a bit of water and a co- wash, my curls are gorgeous. I'm experimenting with shampoo to see if this helps (I was previously CG-- no sulfates, no silicones, no shampoo).

Henna gives my hair this crazy glossy shine and thickens my baby- fine hair. No loosening, though.

exubah

To the bolded...was there a problem with it other than you ordering too much? Is 200grams too much (that's what I am going to purchase) :confused:

I have not used it as yet since I have about 8 boxes of the Jamila Henna as well. I use 100g of the Jamila henna every time I do a henna application and I find that amount to be quite sufficient. My hair is almost BSL but it is fine and thin.

200g should be enough for at least a couple of applications (it usually depends on your hair length and density)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I purchased the BAQ Henna from Mehandi.com and also the Indigo. I did my first Henna/Indigo Treatment this past week and I love the color. I have a considerable amount of grey and since I had/have damage, I wanted to cut down on the use of chemical treatments i.e. semi-permanent color, stretching relaxers etc....and the Henna/Indigo was a God-send. It beautifully covered my grey and my hair was shiny and moisturized and did not have that dull cast of color that semi-permanent/permanent color can sometimes give off. So far, I love the results and will continue to use it.

Eisani

I'm natural, but I've not found this to be true at all. I do weekly hennas and my hair is as moisturized as ever. But I keep it super- simple: henna left at room temperature 3-4 hours (or in a jar on my vent!), water.

No lemon juice, no tea, no paprika, no oils..:drunk: no amla, no honey, no cinnamon--just henna and water. I leave it on overnight and DT with whatever's available for a half hour after rinsing.
This is me too. I started off putting other things in the henna, but plain ol' warm water does the trick. I stopped adding amla oil right before application when I saw it was making my hair darker. I don't let it sit up for 8-12 hours either and I only leave it in my hair for about 4 hours. I'm too impatient for all that extra however, this last time I followed boo's advice-more like his sisters' advice and let the henna dry on my hair so that means I took the plastic off after a while to let it dry. It was easier to rinse out but I was petrified of losing hair because it became so hard so needless to say, I won't be doing that again.

As far as henna types, I started w/Dulhan, then started using Jamila and Yemen. I always use 200g. I recently bought Reshma and something else, can't remember so I'll try those out. I'm loving henna on my hair. I get good color release too w/o all the extra stuff.

Attachments

• DSC01809.jpg
    DSC01809.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 440
  • Henna March '09.jpg
    Henna March '09.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 432

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I have not used it as yet since I have about 8 boxes of the Jamila Henna as well. I use 100g of the Jamila henna every time I do a henna application and I find that amount to be quite sufficient. My hair is almost BSL but it is fine and thin.

200g should be enough for at least a couple of applications (it usually depends on your hair length and density)

Thank you!! :)

Platinum

I'm thinking about henna'ing again today. My hair is a weird sandy color (the same color I had when I was little and I hate it). This time, I'm going to add Indigo. Do you think it's too soon to henna again or does it matter?

baddison

natural for good
Did my monthly henna this weekend.

60g Jamila Henna
4oz. black coffee
4oz. Tresemms Moisture E conditioner
2oz. EVCO
2oz. honey.

mmmm....the mixture was soooo smooth & creamy!! I loved applying it. Did not wait for any color release. I applied it to parted hair, and then slept overnite with my mixture. In the morning, I had BEAUTIFUL color release...it was awesome. A little too red for my liking though. My few greys were all coppery red:ohwell:....good thing there's not too much of them...LOL! This recipe is a keeper. :yep:

Aggie

i just started using reshma henna and i love the color and i love that it releases very quickly.

Thanks for the review on this henna Cherokia-Rose. I am thinking about trying this one along with the Karishma henna. Has anyone ever tried the Hesh Mehandi powder? If so, what were the results like?

baddison

natural for good
Thanks for the review on this henna Cherokia-Rose. I am thinking about trying this one along with the Karishma henna. Has anyone ever tried the Hesh Mehandi powder? If so, what were the results like?

:yep:...YES...:yep:...I would be interested in this answer as well...

hurricane

Bumping that Hesh mehandi

missnk

I used Hesh Mehndi last time combining it just like the instructions said on the box. I had great results, and similar to what I get from using Jamila. I think out of the two, however, I would stick with Jamila. Maybe its because Im just used to it and I feel more comfortable with it...but I suggest people try at least once.

I purchased it online at www.theindianfoodstore.com because I couldnt find it locally besides at one place where it was expired!! On a good note, however, I got it fast and it had a long expiration date so I guess it worked out in the end.

Aggie

I used Hesh Mehndi last time combining it just like the instructions said on the box. I had great results, and similar to what I get from using Jamila. I think out of the two, however, I would stick with Jamila. Maybe its because Im just used to it and I feel more comfortable with it...but I suggest people try at least once.

I purchased it online at www.theindianfoodstore.com because I couldnt find it locally besides at one place where it was expired!! On a good note, however, I got it fast and it had a long expiration date so I guess it worked out in the end.
Thanks missnk for chiming in. By the way, what did you have to combine the mehandi with?

Sheababy

Hello Everyone,

I am a lurker and am coming out of lurker mode to ask a question concerning dying my hair with indigo.

I have did the henna / indigo two step treatment several times and love it. I henne'ed my hair today but did not have time to dye with the indigo. Can I dye my hair with the indigo within 24 hours without having to henna my hair again?

Thanks for your help ladies, I do appreciate it!

Blessings to all!

Brenda