A New Henna Thread

~NanCeBoTwin~

I told you ladies I couldn't wait! I doing my first Henna now, I'm sitting with my plastic cap on, I'm going to wrap my head scarf around the plastic cap and throw on one of my DH baseball caps for my DD's softball practice this morning.

I mixed 100g Jamila Henna w/ water, 1tbsp of Maka, and a few drops of Amla Oil.....

I'll report back later.

vkb247

No, acid (vinegar, lemon, lime, etc) is not necessary or desirable. You only need warm water, some oil like Amla or Olive and maybe some moisturizing, non-protein conditioner to make a mix.

Acids (or as some ladies might refer to as Terps) an not needed unless you want to risk dry crunchy hair. Some ladies might have been successful using acid, but most would do better without it.

I henna'd for the 3rd time in 8 days on Thursday and I used ACV. It wasn't drying at all but I have read that using something acidic will make the color lighter so I plan on using only water in the future. You only need water to make henna develop. Using oil or conditioner will give you less color and because the color binds to the hair I am assuming you will also get less conditioning mixing it that way.

Terps are essential oils that Henna artists use to develop the henna for tattoos. It isn't recommended that you use them when hennaing hair.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I henna'd for the 3rd time in 8 days on Thursday and I used ACV. It wasn't drying at all but I have read that using something acidic will make the color lighter so I plan on using only water in the future. You only need water to make henna develop. Using oil or conditioner will give you less color and because the color binds to the hair I am assuming you will also get less conditioning mixing it that way.

Terps are essential oils that Henna artists use to develop the henna for tattoos. It isn't recommended that you use them when hennaing hair.

It is drying for some, but not all as I stated. I use henna as the first step for indigo application; to coat the strands, not for the red stain. Be careful with vinegar or any acid. You may not experience drying yet, but with the frequency that you are doing, it's increasing your chances.

vkb247

I figured you guys might question why I think that oils or conditioner stops the henna from conditioning as much as possible. Everything I have read said that it inhibits color but the following charts suggest that the color and conditioning effects both happen when the henna bonds to the hair.

So it just makes sense to me that if you add something that will block some of the color you will also block out the same amount of potential conditioning.

Attachments

• henna.JPG
    henna.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 871
  • henna2.JPG
    henna2.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 865

vkb247

I plan to only use water from now on but I never had any concerns about the ACV because I do ACV rinses (without rinsing it out) with no problems. The owner of RenaissanceHenna.com has done many expirements on henna and she determined that when you use something acidic to develop the henna the stain is lighter than it is without an acid. I want as much color as possible to show on my dark hair so I am going to stop using ACV.

Here is what that website says:

About the lemon juice .....I started out thinking that acid was a must for henna dye release. Henna is acidic and so what some henna experts said about lemon juice or other acidic stuff being used to “trigger” dye release seemed to make sense, despite the fact that many people throughout the Asian sub-continent and elsewhere were managing just fine to get dye release from henna into their hair with just plain water (cold, warm,and hot) and they’d never heard of such absurdity as adding lemon juice and the like. Since setting up this website, I’ve carried out my own trials, largely inspired by Henna Cat, and spurred on by others at hennatribe.com who have also conducted their own trials or been using henna and plain water for years and been openly sour to the lemon juice acid theory.

My conclusion is that henna does not need acidic liquid of any kind added to it to trigger dye release ! Plain water works just fine, and in fact my trials show that plain water works better and stains better than lemon juice ! You can add something acidic such as lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice (* do not squeeze or handle oranges yourself if you are allergic to PPD as the dye in orange peel is high in PPD ), or organic cidar vinegar if you want to lighten the henna colour, but for a henna rich, deep, colour you need only water. My own trials have shown that the addition of acidic liquid lightens the colour and you’ll notice the difference in colour just from a comparison of pastes mixed with plain water and mixed with water/acid - have a look at these photos
:

henna paste mixed with plain hot water

henna paste mixed with hot water and cider vinegar

Last edited:

Aggie

I figured you guys might question why I think that oils or conditioner stops the henna from conditioning as much as possible. Everything I have read said that it inhibits color but the following charts suggest that the color and conditioning effects both happen when the henna bonds to the hair.

So it just makes sense to me that if you add something that will block some of the color you will also block out the same amount of potential conditioning.

Everyone is doing what they feel their hair can handle and you are free to do what you like if you know your hair can hndle it vkb. We will support whatever you decide to do no matter what. I personally like the conditioning powers of both the henna and other conditioners on my hair. I'm getting enough from each of them when mixing them together.

Aggie

I plan to only use water from now on but I never had any concerns about the ACV because I do ACV rinses (without rinsing it out) with no problems. The owner of RenaissanceHenna.com has done many expirements on henna and she determined that when you use something acidic to develop the henna the stain is lighter than it is without an acid. I want as much color as possible to show on my dark hair so I am going to stop using ACV.

About the lemon juice .....I started out thinking that acid was a must for henna dye release. Henna is acidic and so what some henna experts said about lemon juice or other acidic stuff being used to “trigger” dye release seemed to make sense, despite the fact that many people throughout the Asian sub-continent and elsewhere were managing just fine to get dye release from henna into their hair with just plain water (cold, warm,and hot) and they’d never heard of such absurdity as adding lemon juice and the like. Since setting up this website, I’ve carried out my own trials, largely inspired by Henna Cat, and spurred on by others at hennatribe.com who have also conducted their own trials or been using henna and plain water for years and been openly sour to the lemon juice acid theory.

My conclusion is that henna does not need acidic liquid of any kind added to it to trigger dye release ! Plain water works just fine, and in fact my trials show that plain water works better and stains better than lemon juice ! You can add something acidic such as lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice (* do not squeeze or handle oranges yourself if you are allergic to PPD as the dye in orange peel is high in PPD ), or organic cidar vinegar if you want to lighten the henna colour, but for a henna rich, deep, colour you need only water. My own trials have shown that the addition of acidic liquid lightens the colour and you’ll notice the difference in colour just from a comparison of pastes mixed with plain water and mixed with water/acid - have a look at these photos :

let us know how your hair turns out honey.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I did a 2-step - henna gloss then indigo. I sat under my steamer with the henna gloss for 30 minutes and then rinsed. My grays were covered nicely and then I applied the indigo for 2 hours. Rinsed and viola! No more letting my henna sit on my head for hours.

No fuss, no muss in much less time. I used to spend the whole day with my treatments and now I know I can do all the applications in 3-4 hours. Nice. :up:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

My conclusion is that henna does not need acidic liquid of any kind added to it to trigger dye release ! Plain water works just fine, and in fact my trials show that plain water works better and stains better than lemon juice ! You can add something acidic such as lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice (* do not squeeze or handle oranges yourself if you are allergic to PPD as the dye in orange peel is high in PPD ), or organic cidar vinegar if you want to lighten the henna colour, but for a henna rich, deep, colour you need only water. My own trials have shown that the addition of acidic liquid lightens the colour and you’ll notice the difference in colour just from a comparison of pastes mixed with plain water and mixed with water/acid - have a look at these photos
:

She's seen the light! :giggle: Most old time henna heads 'round here have figured this out a while ago. :yep:

Aggie

I have my last bit of henna that I added a big gob of Loreal Mega Moisture Conditioner to on my hair right now. I will be letting my stylist give me another trim tomorrow and can't wait to see what I'll look like. I'll follow up this henna treatment with some AO HSR mixed with a little honey and hot EVOO and will keep it in overnight, wash out in the morning and will be going to my stylist with a wig over shower cap on wet hair and all she has to do is give me a color rinse and trim and I'll be outta there.

My gray hairs are really resisting color now so we'll see what happens tomorrow. I think my henna might be a little old so I'll throw it out and buy some more. I don't think it's wise to buy the amount of henna I did the last time (5lbs). I didn't go through it fast enough obviously so next time I'll just buy a kilo at at time which is about 2.2lbs. That should be enough for about a year providing I'm henna'ing my hair at least once every 4-6 weeks.

Aggie

This may be a stupid question but here goes...

Does all henna color the hair or no?

No. Cassia Obovata is a henna that does not leave a color deposit on the hair but it has good conditioning power.

Last edited:

Muse

I just download the 'How To' on Hennaforhair and it said to apply henna to clean dry hair. Does this mean that I am suppose to shampoo and dry w/o using any conditioner? Does anyone apply henna to hair that isn't freshly washed? Also does the hair have to be dry? I think I am ready to try it this weekend because I need the strength. I found a local place that sells Jamila henna.

TIA!

Aggie

I just download the 'How To' on Hennaforhair and it said to apply henna to clean dry hair. Does this mean that I am suppose to shampoo and dry w/o using any conditioner? Does anyone apply henna to hair that isn't freshly washed? Also does the hair have to be dry? I think I am ready to try it this weekend because I need the strength. I found a local place that sells Jamila henna.

TIA!

What I do is clarify and deep condition my hair as normal, wait for it to dry completely, (but I have applied henna to damp pre-oiled hair before with good results) oil my scalp and hair, scritch my scalp, then apply my henna.

Muse

What I do is clarify and deep condition my hair as normal, wait for it to dry completely, (but I have applied henna to damp pre-oiled hair before with good results) oil my scalp and hair, scritch my scalp, then apply my henna.

Thanks Aggie! I think I will just clarify and oil really well the night before and the next day apply to my dry hair. Can't wait for super strong strands!! Thanks again!

Tarae

Does anyone have Lavendar's henna recipe?
I really like hers but never saved it and I think her Fotki is closed.

Platinum

I told you ladies I couldn't wait! I doing my first Henna now, I'm sitting with my plastic cap on, I'm going to wrap my head scarf around the plastic cap and throw on one of my DH baseball caps for my DD's softball practice this morning.

I mixed 100g Jamila Henna w/ water, 1tbsp of Maka, and a few drops of Amla Oil.....

I'll report back later.

How did it turn out?

Pooks

Couple more weeks in this cornrow style and I'm unleashing my hair to give it some hendingo lovin! I'm thinking about getting some pectin for my indigo though (plan on doing a 2 step) - does anyone have a recipe for when they used pectin in their indigo mix? Did it help with rinsing out the indigo as well as ease of application?

Aggie

Couple more weeks in this cornrow style and I'm unleashing my hair to give it some hendingo lovin! I'm thinking about getting some pectin for my indigo though (plan on doing a 2 step) - does anyone have a recipe for when they used pectin in their indigo mix? Did it help with rinsing out the indigo as well as ease of application?

I know that Sareca did at one point. Perhaps you could send her a quick pm and then don't forget to come back and update us on it:grin:

DO NOT MIX INDIGO WITH PECTIN!!!!

Indigo and pectin does not mix well. I ended up with semi hard rubber-like chunks in my hair. Carboxyl Methyl Cellulose aka CMC can be used with indigo without any problems.

Aggie

DO NOT MIX INDIGO WITH PECTIN!!!!

Indigo and pectin does not mix well. I ended up with semi hard rubber-like chunks in my hair. Carboxyl Methyl Cellulose aka CMC can be used with indigo without any problems.

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for this useful post destiny. you just saved our hair.

Muse

I plan on doing my 1st henna tonight. I washed my hair last night with Alaffia Shea and Henna poo and con and just used coconut oil as my leave in. I'm trying to keep my hair clean for the henna application. I'm just going to mix henna and water, not waiting for dye release because I don't want color just strength (and hoping it will loosen my curl pattern a bit). I'll leave it in for about 3 hours, rinse and DC with Aubrey HSR. I am using Jamila Henna and will report back with results.

I plan on doing my 1st henna tonight. I washed my hair last night with Alaffia Shea and Henna poo and con and just used coconut oil as my leave in. I'm trying to keep my hair clean for the henna application. I'm just going to mix henna and water, not waiting for dye release because I don't want color just strength (and hoping it will loosen my curl pattern a bit). I'll leave it in for about 3 hours, rinse and DC with Aubrey HSR. I am using Jamila Henna and will report back with results.

if you leave the henna on for three hours you will get some color release.

Lucky's Mom

I did a 2-step - henna gloss then indigo. I sat under my steamer with the henna gloss for 30 minutes and then rinsed. My grays were covered nicely and then I applied the indigo for 2 hours. Rinsed and viola! No more letting my henna sit on my head for hours.

No fuss, no muss in much less time. I used to spend the whole day with my treatments and now I know I can do all the applications in 3-4 hours. Nice. :up:

Thanks for this.
Next week will be my last Henna - only becasue I need to indigo....

After that - I am saying good bye forever to Henna...It is MUCH too drying.
I think I will add even More water to my current concoction.

Thanks ladies for these tips!

baddison

natural for good
Thanks for this.

Hey Sam....I agree with you about henna being drying. What I do to assuage that is to whole-head baggy for two consequtive nites after doing my henna treatment. That includes the nite of henna'ing. After baggying with moisturizer/oils/butters for the next two nites...my hair doesn't evern REMEMBER what dryness is!! LOL!!...

Just an idea. Its really working for me, and the benefits of henna are amazing as you already know.....:yep:

Platinum

Thanks for this.

I mixed Suave Humectant into my Henna and that made a BIG difference (I have very dry hair). Maybe you can try that.