African American hair should be styled in a salon once a week????

lalabanks

I was watching Style Court today and they were makeovering a black lady. I came in on the tail in, but I know she used to wear a wig all the time and at the end of the show she was wearing her regular hair. At the end of the show they always describe what they did to the person and some tips as well. And they said that bit about AA hair being styled once a week in a salon. They should have given her tips on how to maintain her hair. I was a little appalled about that comment.

CarLiTa

:eek: shooo... i would be appalled to... that goes into the whole idea that black women can't take care of their hair, which is true for some, you know??? but on the show, they SHOULD have given her advice to take care of her hair... why they gotta let US pay a bunch of money and let the white ppl grow their hair easily at home??? that's not right... :ohwell:

deedabug

those makeover shows to tell alot of lies about AA women's hair and also put us down on the passively...i juss tune out when they start givin the lame tips and just look at what they created lol

DigitalRain

CarLiTa said:
:eek: shooo... i would be appalled to... that goes into the whole idea that black women can't take care of their hair, which is true for some, you know??? but on the show, they SHOULD have given her advice to take care of her hair... why they gotta let US pay a bunch of money and let the white ppl grow their hair easily at home??? that's not right... :ohwell:

I know, right? I don't understand why they think AA women must get their hair styled at the salon? As long as I was going to a salon my hair stayed fried, constantly breaking, scalp burns with disappearing edges.

DangerouslyShy

I watched it, and i wasnt upset at the comment i guess i took it a different way. It seemed to me that they were saying for her to go to the salon once a week to get treatments done to her hair, so she can maintain her style. Especially since she goes to work full time, goes to school full time, had two kids and a husband...i think they told her to go get it done so she could have time to pamper herself...

lalabanks

DangerouslyShy said:
I watched it, and i wasnt upset at the comment i guess i took it a different way. It seemed to me that they were saying for her to go to the salon once a week to get treatments done to her hair, so she can maintain her style. Especially since she goes to work full time, goes to school full time, had two kids and a husband...i think they told her to go get it done so she could have time to pamper herself...

That may very well be since I came in on the tail in of the show.