After 10 week stretch I finally did Touch Up

Aveena

... And my hair was coming out in blobs when I rinsed the relaxer out! I was very careful not to overlap (or at least I thought I was) and did not get drips on my existing relaxed strands. However, when I began to wash the relaxer out my hair seemed like it was melting off of my head!

I tried to detangle with conditioner after I neutralized like I normally do but it seemed like the combing was causing more hair to come out. I'm talking about Long Hair! as if it were coming straight from the root! I immediately stopped combing and put a 5 minute protein treatment in. That helped a little bit. But I'm at a loss. I have no idea what caused this? And I normally don't shed like that.

This was the first time I stretched to 10 weeks could that be it?

F

InnerSoul

I had hair come out too when I stretched.. I think it's just the rest of the hair that was going to break off anyways like at the demarcation line or it could have been hair that was tangled up .. atleast this is my guess. I still deep condition 2x a week and this helps drastically. You did the right thing to do your protein treatment... this should help big time.

I also can't tell when I have hair loss after my relaxer is rinsed out...yeah I see the broke off hair in the shower drain but after my hair has dried and rollerset styled, and fingercombed through... I still can't tell at all where I lost the hair. So if you can't tell after your hair is styled I wouldn't worry about it... just keep doing protein and balance it out with moist. deep cond. and u should be fine:) ;)

navsegda

Fran said:
... And my hair was coming out in blobs when I rinsed the relaxer out! I was very careful not to overlap (or at least I thought I was) and did not get drips on my existing relaxed strands. However, when I began to wash the relaxer out my hair seemed like it was melting off of my head!

I tried to detangle with conditioner after I neutralized like I normally do but it seemed like the combing was causing more hair to come out. I'm talking about Long Hair! as if it were coming straight from the root! I immediately stopped combing and put a 5 minute protein treatment in. That helped a little bit. But I'm at a loss. I have no idea what caused this? And I normally don't shed like that.

F
As I said in another thread on this topic, this happened to me, too. I used to go months without relaxing in college because I didn't have time to do it myself or get someone else to do it (I had class, lab research, horseback riding, clubs, and a million other things). So when I would relax, after I rinsed it out and neutralized well, clumps of hair came out and it caused my hair to thin out in some areas. Now when I do not stretch a long time, I neutralize just as well and not one strand comes out when the relaxer is rinsed out.

So yes, the stretching could be it or it could be something else altogether.

dlewis

When you say blobs, what do you mean? Handfulls?

I would neatralize again to be sure I got all the perm out.

I don't think that much shedding is normal, some shedding is normal but not that much.

Stretching didn't work for me over 8 weeks. I think it's important to know your stretch limit.

Try protective styling for awhile. Deep condition often. But I wouldn't do to much protein right now.

Aveena

Well, to be honest, you really can't tell now that it is dried. It looks fine and is still thick as usual. I've got a cabinet full of conditioners and no protein. I guess I'm gonna have to look into that. Prior to my touch up I had no idea my protein/moisture balance was off.

Thanks

nelli711

It may be because of the stretch. I know that when I stretch my relaxers out for really long periods of time, I lose alot of hair when I get it relaxed.

Did you use a different relaxer? If you did, is it possible that it was too strong??

Aveena

dlewis said:
When you say blobs, what do you mean? Handfulls?

I would neatralize again to be sure I got all the perm out.

I don't think that much shedding is normal, some shedding is normal but not that much.

Stretching didn't work for me over 8 weeks. I think it's important to know your stretch limit.

Try protective styling for awhile. Deep condition often. But I wouldn't do to much protein right now.

Handfulls! yes! It did seem very unusual. I'm hiding my hair until April so I'm really going to baby my hair. I panic to think of losing as much as I did last night ever again. No more stretching for me. :ohwell: I tried. I think 8 weeks is a good enough stretch.

Catina72

Did you wash out the relaxer leaning over the sink?? That definately could be the cause of the hair loss because maybe you couldn't get all the relaxer out....just a thought. Glad it is much better now and definately incorporate that protein into your routine. At least 1x per week over the next couple of weeks since you just put the relaxer in. Good luck and HHG!!

Aveena

nelli711 said:
It may be because of the stretch. I know that when I stretch my relaxers out for really long periods of time, I lose alot of hair when I get it relaxed.

Did you use a different relaxer? If you did, is it possible that it was too strong??

Silk Elements Mild is my staple. :) The relaxer did a great job.

Aveena

Thanks ladies! You all truly are the only ones that would understand. I think I've got it under control now because dry hair is less fragile. But, I will continue to remedy the situation. I appreciate your input.

F

MzOptimistic

Fran said:

F

What were you doing to your hair in terms of moisturizing it? How often did you shampoo? I usually stretch for 10 weeks been trying to go 12 weeks but so far not happening...anyway..I am 8 weeks post and what I do is co-washes every other day, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Also, when I started stretching I had to work my up to 10 weeks. I started at 7 weeks first, 8 weeks, until I gradually made it up to 10 weeks and 10 weeks is something that I NEVER could have done prior to joining LHCF. You have to gradually work your way up and pay attention to your hair along the way....so what were you doing to your hair while you was stretching?

ETA: I just read the whole thread and I'm glad everything is fine now:)

Last edited:

Aveena

tsmith said:
What were you doing to your hair in terms of moisturizing it? How often did you shampoo? I usually stretch for 10 weeks been trying to go 12 weeks but so far not happening...anyway..I am 8 weeks post and what I do is co-washes every other day, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Also, when I started stretching I had to work my up to 10 weeks. I started at 7 weeks first, 8 weeks, until I gradually made it up to 10 weeks and 10 weeks is something that I NEVER could have done prior to joining LHCF. You have to gradually work your way up and pay attention to your hair along the way....so what were you doing to your hair while you was stretching?

Typically I shampoo/deep condition once a week. I cowash every 3rd day. And I put Nexxus Humectress (very light amount) on my ends and seal with castor oil every night. My hair is dry. After 8 weeks I found that spraying my roots with Sta Soft Fro help maintain managability.

I didn't gradually work up to 10 weeks though. I think I've been 6 weeks then 7 then 10.

Ladyhenri

hi Fran...
Do you comb your hair often?
I ask this because i have experienced the same thing after relaxers because that is the only time that i really comb my hair (smoothing + detangling)
And yet my hair is still full.

My theory is that i dont comb my hair enough to get rid of all the SHED hairs, and they somehow hide along with the rest of the hair...but after relaxing, they are loosened and wash out easier.

I wash my hair bi weekly but only have about one or two shed hairs each time...seeing as on average people shed about 100 hairs, that means either i am (abnormally) not shedding, or the hairs are staying firmly on my scalp because i dont comb my hair. I only detangle (very grudgingly) in the shower.

I feel that If the relaxer was damaging your hair, it would be breaking and not shedding. so it could be that the hair loss is not abnormal at all
HTH

Last edited:

loveable37

I totally agree with how often u comb to get the dead hair out from tanglin/mattin with the rest of the hair.

I combs my hair like maybe twice a month only when i apply my leave-in.

I currently remove some small twists (own hair) left them on for 3 weeks i didnt wash them, nor apply nay product maybe once
I am payin for it now:eek:
:eek: it came out more than a handfull but i dont see where it came from yes i saw it in the sink lots lots lots of hair so if this happened u its just dead hair.

mommatide

THANK'S FOR THIS POST. I WAS JUST ABOUT TO FAINT 10 MIN AGO. THIS WAS THE 1ST TIME I'VE HAD A HOME RELAXER IN 10 YRS, AND I RINSED IT OUT AFTER MY NEICE APPLIED IT. WHEN I SAW ALL THAT HAIR, I JUST KNEW I WAS GOING TO BE BALD. THIS WAS A 9 WEEK STRETCH, BUT I AM USUALLY LEANING IN SOME SALON BOWL, SO I NEVER SEE HOW MUCH HAIR I LOSE(PROBABLY A GOOD THING). I AM NOW DEEP CONDITIONING, SO I HAVE YET TO SEE THE END RESULT. MY NEICE DID NOT THINK IT WAS A LOT. WE WILL SEE!

HoneyDew

This makes me afraid the stretch now. :perplexed

I am trying to go to 10 weeks. I did not think that was really a long time. Maybe I should try 8 weeks instead.

How have you been wearing your hair for the past couple of weeks? I notice that when I am stretching, I dont come my hair as often and after I relax it, all the shedding that woudl have naturally come out of my hair comes out. So what I am saying is it could be an accumulation of natural shedding..This happens every time I decide to go to the salon when I feel my hair becomes unmanagable. I have to deal with the accumulation of shedding from the previous week and the stylist look at me like my hair is in crisis mode..

sylver2

I always get that. Its because I stretch and hardly ever comb. So when its touchup time thats like the first time my new growth is getting combed thru..so it will be a lot of shedding.

Aveena

Henrietta said:
hi Fran...
Do you comb your hair often?
I ask this because i have experienced the same thing after relaxers because that is the only time that i really comb my hair (smoothing + detangling)
And yet my hair is still full.

My theory is that i dont comb my hair enough to get rid of all the SHED hairs, and they somehow hide along with the rest of the hair...but after relaxing, they are loosened and wash out easier.

I wash my hair bi weekly but only have about one or two shed hairs each time...seeing as on average people shed about 100 hairs, that means either i am (abnormally) not shedding, or the hairs are staying firmly on my scalp because i dont comb my hair. I only detangle (very grudgingly) in the shower.

I feel that If the relaxer was damaging your hair, it would be breaking and not shedding. so it could be that the hair loss is not abnormal at all
HTH

You may have a point here. I have a problem with my email notifications to threads... sorry it took so long to answer... but I typically try not to comb my hair so much. I'm about 3 weeks post? and haven't had any shedding problems since the initial incident.