anthony dickey method

Re: andrew dickey method

[USER=109309 said:
LadyRaider[/USER];20138933]I will have to try harder. I'm not doing something right. My curls are BEAUTIFUL when wet. I just can't keep them.

What do you put on after your final rinse?

faithVA I have tried several things. I've tried leaving in conditioner but perhaps I'm not leaving in enough. I don't really like the feel and smell of most conditioners left in.

I've tried mizani's curl cream. I've tried lots of them, but the minute they don't work I get rid of them so I don't remember all the names.

What worked the best in the past was conditioner. But now that my hair is longer it doesn't work as well.

The stuff I tried this weekend was the Living Proof brand. Didn't do anything.

Honestly, I sound a bit confused because mostly I gave up a long time ago. Usually, I wash my hair and braid it up and do braid outs. Like the lady in the video said... manipulate it so it will do what it should do naturally.

faithVA I have tried several things. I've tried leaving in conditioner but perhaps I'm not leaving in enough. I don't really like the feel and smell of most conditioners left in.

I've tried mizani's curl cream. I've tried lots of them, but the minute they don't work I get rid of them so I don't remember all the names.

What worked the best in the past was conditioner. But now that my hair is longer it doesn't work as well.

Honestly, I sound a bit confused because mostly I gave up a long time ago. Usually, I wash my hair and braid it up and do braid outs. Like the lady in the video said... manipulate it so it will do what it should do naturally.

Maybe you can dilute your conditioners down a bit. Perhaps that would work better for you. His product looked pretty watery.

Would you share what you used? What was different in this method compared to what you were doing before you tried it?

faithVA

I must admit I already was on the cowash path, but I will towel dry my hair and then apply a cheap gel or a curl creme after my leave in.

Yesterday, I modified my midweek routine by using a cleansing conditioner mix of kaolin clay powder and Tresemme Naturals conditioner, :lick: as the cleansing step.
I rinsed it out and applied my doctored rinse out conditioner (adding liquid amino acid and 1 tsp of ACV gives me moisture softness and definition) and finger detangled my hair for as long as possible.
I rinsed it out and applied a my gel and oil mix, added water to my hair and shingle it.
Went under my hooded dryer for 40 min.

I loved it I need to take a pic next time.

LadyRaider Don't give up! :) Although I know what you mean.... :ohwell:

How has having longer hair changed your technique of using conditioner? Maybe you need to use even more with the longer length?

faithVA

I must admit I already was on the cowash path, but I will towel dry my hair and then apply a cheap gel or a curl creme after my leave in.

Yesterday, I modified my midweek routine by using a cleansing conditioner mix of kaolin clay powder and Tresemme Naturals conditioner, :lick: as the cleansing step.
I rinsed it out and applied my doctored rinse out conditioner (adding liquid amino acid and 1 tsp of ACV gives me moisture softness and definition) and finger detangled my hair for as long as possible.
I rinsed it out and applied a my gel and oil mix, added water to my hair and shingle it.
Went under my hooded dryer for 40 min.

I loved it I need to take a pic next time.

Yes we need a picture :yep:

Do you think Flax seed gel would work as the product? I just bought some seeds and I want to make gel. My typical style is a braidout, but this may be even simpler.

I say try whatever works for you as a styling product. Andrew did not push any of his product in the video. Just follow the steps and you will find what works for you.

Naptural85 uses flaxseed and it works for her.

There's a salon in the Miami area that basically does this method. She has a YTube and FB page (curlynaturalbeauty). A friend of mine swears by her and only does wash and gos now.

This works, I tell you! I cowashed with a big handful
of Suave Tropical Coconut. I massaged, detangled
with my fingers and rinsed. Then I did the same thing
with WEN or As I Am Coconut Cowash. I only use the
pricier product for the second rinse. My curls are poppin'!

I thought his name was Anthony Dickey.

85 for a trim or the trim would make it all add up to 85 naturalmanenyc

eithr way thats insane

FelaShrine

She said $85 additional for a trim.

Dailey has her own salon now, formerly at Hair Rules, and when I called they told me $100 for a trim at H2 salon in Bed Stuy. It would include a wash and blow out (not sure if they flat iron) then trim and I would leave with curly hair. I didn't book.

I did this today and it worked. I cowashed with Tresemne naturals and finger detangled. I followed it up with Giovanni direct leave in and aloe vera gel. I then did the quick rinse after. It took awhile to dry but once it did it was marvelous. The problem for me is preserving a wash and go which won't leave it a knotted frizzy mess. That and detangling on wash day as my roots get tangled readily in this sort of style

I was wondering all this time....who is this andrew dickey you speak of.....so I avoided this thread.......come to find out its a typo.......

Anyway......but why is this his method.....people do it all the time......myself included

Last edited:

I believe what truly makes this 'his' method is not mentioned in the video because he is handling a looser texture. I started following his videos after noticing him on Taren 916's channel.

What makes it 'his' method is the manner in which he makes this method friendly to really tight textures.

After the cowashing ( where you use plenty of product), and the conditioning (where again you use like half the bottle) for tighter textures he will pop you under a hooded dryer until you hair is 80 percent dry, then diffuse your hair until it is about 95 percent dry, then he will switch out the diffuser attachment for the concentrator attachment in order to stretch the roots. Tighter textures can't really cope with the inherent tangling that happens when the coils shrink up to the the degree that they can shrink up when air dried. What I think he has added to the dialogue is that tighter textures can (and probably should) diffuse in order to prevent matting. Also, not a whole lot of people like to talk in depth about methods of elongation because of the impression that it is an attempt to change one's natural curl pattern. Why would you want to stretch and style your hair if you are doing a wash and go, isn't it supposed to be a wash and literal go etc.

I do think that Dickey's wash and wear method can make life easier for a type 4. However, I have pretty extreme shrinkage and my dislike of detangling mats is on 10 so it will be a while before I ever even try this method though it seems like a reasonable method.

Last edited:

I respect his views, but finger detangling and frequent co-washing are not everyone's friend. Both do nothing for me.

ok this was nothing new he even told her to basically pineapple her hair at night

however i do like the fact that folks are still going strong with the natural hair care movement and is really paying attention to our hair care needs.

I apply styling product on soaking wet hair (shingling) but outside of the shower with a spray bottle to keep it wet. I got great results this way and less single strand knots.

I've only tried Hair Rules once, for a blow out. This is a Yelp review I wrote:

I had not worn my hair straight in some time and decided to try out Hair Rules Express Blow Out, which I read was $55. There was a lot of buzz about Hair Rules products, which I had never tried, so I thought the best place to try them would be the salon.

When I arrived I checked in with reception and was asked to take a seat. My stylist, forgot her name, came over to get my jacket and offered me a drink. She had a huge, curly afro so I thought I hit the jackpot. I figured someone with natural hair would know how to deal with my hair. I selected tea. When she came back with the tea, I was asked to put on a cape and she went to work examining my hair. While at the sink, she gave me tips about washing my natural hair such as using conditioner and not shampoo (something I already knew). As each product was used on my hair, she let me touch it and smell it as she explained what the product was doing to my hair. It was a bit like an infomercial.

My conditioner was added and I was put under the dryer. After my hair was rinsed, it was time for the blow out which was initially painful. After adding the blow dry cream, she combed my hair from root to tip. As she combed out my hair to section it, she also combed from root to tip. I had to take the comb from her to show her how to comb my hair without hurting me.

My blowout was finished pretty quickly (I have fine hair) and then she flat ironed it. I did not take note of the type of flat iron used but do know that I was burned by it a couple of times. She put some curls in my hair with the flat iron.

Once I was done, she went to write out my "prescription" which noted the products used on my hair. I asked for a trim but was told it would be an additional $85. I passed on the hair rules trim. I paid $57 & change for my express blow out and left a tip. I then went to a Dominican salon for a $5 trim. I later went to the local beauty supply store to buy a comb attachment for my blow dryer since I was pretty confident that I could get better results at home without the burns with my FHI Runway flat iron.

l.jpg

OOhh child I was upset about my friends $200 big chop that left her with perm ends. She loved it so I could say nothing. When she washed her hair she had limp ends. After doing a home trim she went back for the blow out and her hair looked great. Third trip for a trim they chopped off a lot of her hair. He gives great advice but the work is not very impressive for all that money. Reminds me of the Miss Jessy's silkener hoax ( perm with conditioner aka lhcf texlax :lol: )

I love how he compares it to wet setting (roller setting) your natural hair. I've always been a believer in that to get good long lasting curls.

I can not stand dripping wet hair but I will try this method sometime.

I am just getting around to watching this video. This seems very similar to the Tightly Curly method with Terry LeFlesh (sp). They both talk about saturating hair with conditioner before detangling while in the shower. The only difference is he didn't use a styling tool and she did.

So a deep conditioner isn't necessary? I may try this one day.

I am just getting around to watching this video. This seems very similar to the Tightly Curly method with Terry LeFlesh (sp). They both talk about saturating hair with conditioner before detangling while in the shower. The only difference is he didn't use a styling tool and she did. So a deep conditioner isn't necessary? I may try this one day.
And Terri does that meticulous method of defining each individual curl. If Dickey's method works well it will be so much faster.

IMO a dc would still be necessary. This is just a styling method.

And Terri does that meticulous method of defining each individual curl. If Dickey's method works well it will be so much faster.

IMO a dc would still be necessary. This is just a styling method.

So I'm guessing the conditioner you saturate your hair with before rinsing would be the DC? The one he used after the cleanser.

As they were talking, he did let it sit for a few minutes.

I knew there was a reason I was conditioner crazy :lol:. I have so much conditioner it's ridiculous!

Oh, and Terry left the conditioner in her hair, she did rinse it out. I forgot about that part.

So I'm guessing the conditioner you saturate your hair with before rinsing would be the DC? The one he used after the cleanser. As they were talking, he did let it sit for a few minutes.
Personally I would follow my normal dc method. I would wash, dc, and after rinsing dc go straight to styling with the styler like he did. If I was dc'ing that day I wouldn't slather my hair as much as he did cuz my dc's are too expensive for all that. I think as long as you style the way he did you'll get the same results.

Some people use instant con's after they dc do that would be an option as well.

Back