*~ No Product Method ~*

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Is anyone else doing the No Product Method besides AfashionSlave?

I'm thinking about selling all of the products I have, returning recently bought products back to the store, or even giving away some products. Now, I'm thinking about just using a cheap-conditioner (like Suave) and my ElastaQP shampoo which has a ph level of 5.5. Water will be my moisturizer.

This method seems to be the most reasonable method I have come across. I think to myself, how is piling all of these products onto my hair going to aid in the health/growth of my hair??? I've tried so much stuff to try to grow my hair out faster, but I came to the conclusion that nothing can really exceed the average growth rate of 1/4" - 1/2" per month. I think this method would be best for me so I won't worry about my hair so much and endure patience during my time of growing out my natural hair. So I'm thinking about taking up this method sometime this week or starting July.

Anyone want to join the No Product Method???

Last edited:

chocolate01

I don't think i'm ready for this challenge. I'm still transitioning and my hair needs moisture and water just doesn't do it for me. I'm also a serious PJ so there is no way I would think about giving away or selling any of my products.

Cichelle

I am also transitioning and I have to use something besides water and/or sauve conditioner for moisture or not-so-nice things will happen. I learned that the hard way. However, the no product method is certainly appealing, especially when considering the money I would save. Still, I kinda like pampering my hair right now in this way, though I am putting a HALT to the product buying for a while. I'm going to try to use what I have before I buy anything else, unless a hair emergency happens. (I hope not!) I hope you will keep us posted on how this works for you, though. Perhaps one day, when I am finally done transitioning, I will give it a try. Good luck!

RainbowCurls

Not for me I'm afraid. Last time I used no products, this happened:

And that was before combing...

ChoKitty

I think I might try this...I'm doing conditioner washes daily anyway. Though, would putting on my leave in count as product?

lsubabiedee

I'm not constanly on a no-product routine but i do it a lot of the time...my hair looks and feels better when I don't use products....i have been using products recently b/c i bought some oyin's but before then, i rarely used anything

Poohbear

Doing this method does not mean not taking care of your hair in the process. When I said "No Product", I don't literally mean that...just less products. I stated that I will just be using shampoo and conditioner. If I need moisture, I will spritz water on my hair. I'm just tired of piling on all these products and different ingredients onto my hair... especially since I have a short natural teenie weenie afro. ;) I just think little manipulation and less products is the key for me, especially since I have fine stranded hair and I hardly used any products before my mom ever relaxed my hair and when I was younger, my natural hair was a nice length and healthy. :yep:

PerfectDoak said:
Not for me I'm afraid. Last time I used no products, this happened:

And that was before combing...

Last edited:

RainbowCurls

Poohbear said:
Doing this method does not mean not taking care of your hair in the process. When I said "No Product", I don't literally mean that...just less products.

I didn't think it meant 'not taking care of your hair'. I assumed you meant only using water, shampoo and conditioner.
I decided that day to shampoo and condition my hair, then leave to dry, to see what it would look like, and that's what happened. I didn't do anything bad/not take care of it to make it look like that! It's the relaxer. I'm sooo bitter about relaxers at the moment. They're the reason I've had the same length hair for about a decade.

Poohbear

PerfectDoak said:
I didn't think it meant 'not taking care of your hair'. I assumed you meant only using water, shampoo and conditioner.
I decided that day to shampoo and condition my hair, then leave to dry, to see what it would look like, and that's what happened. I didn't do anything bad/not take care of it to make it look like that! It's the relaxer. I'm sooo bitter about relaxers at the moment. They're the reason I've had the same length hair for about a decade.
OH okay! ;) Now I see from your siggy as well that you're fed up with relaxers. What relaxer are you using and how often? Is your hair overprocessed?
Hmmm... or do we have a future natural haired lady here? :D :grin:

RainbowCurls

Yep! Future natural haired lady! I was using Dark and Lovely since I started relaxing myself at about 16, which caused breakage but got my hair straight. Last year I tried Motions lye which didn't get my hair straight but didn't cause much breakage. Then I tried Elasta QP lye which didn't get my hair straight, caused breakage and irrated my scalp. That's when I decided I'd had enough!
My hair is probably overprocessed, but doesn't break excessively, just enough so my hair stays around the same length!

Poohbear

YamisGirl said:
I think I might try this...I'm doing conditioner washes daily anyway. Though, would putting on my leave in count as product?
hmmm... if you're only using the conditioner and the leave-in (2 products), I see nothing wrong with that. ;)

Victorian

old head
I'll join! This is right in time, as I have very recently (wthin the last few days) considered drastically reducing the amount of products I use. The last couple days I didn't put anything at all on my hair after washing and my hair turned out great.

This morning I got up too late to do my con wash before church so I ended up using a little bit of product (sprayed hair with watered down conditioner and then used some oil sheen) to get my hair into a puff, but on days when I do my con washes I don't think I'll be using anything besides Hairever, which I only spray on my scalp.

I also have fine hair and a finicky scalp, so fewer products is definitely a good thing for me :yep:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I tried it for about a week. I need a heavier oil or butter on my ends or they split horribly. I had the worst split ends after that week was over. Even if I don't put anything else in, I have to oil the ends. However I have stopped using expensive products because I've seen they don't really work any better. So now I've minimized my product usage a lot and my hair is doing very well.

cocopuff

Poohbear said:
Is anyone else doing the No Product Method besides AfashionSlave?

I'm thinking about selling all of the products I have, returning recently bought products back to the store, or even giving away some products. Now, I'm thinking about just using a cheap-conditioner (like Suave) and my ElastaQP shampoo which has a ph level of 5.5. Water will be my moisturizer.

This method seems to be the most reasonable method I have come across. I think to myself, how is piling all of these products onto my hair going to aid in the health/growth of my hair??? I've tried so much stuff to try to grow my hair out faster, but I came to the conclusion that nothing can really exceed the average growth rate of 1/4" - 1/2" per month. I think this method would be best for me so I won't worry about my hair so much and endure patience during my time of growing out my natural hair. So I'm thinking about taking up this method sometime this week or starting July.

Anyone want to join the No Product Method???

I really do commend you for starting this challenge, but I am not ready for this! I am currently wearing braids and I HAVE to oil or spritz my scalp with something because my head itches like crazy. However, once I get my braids removed, I will be using only one product to style my hair daily in an effort not to overload my hair with products.

Poohbear

It's okay chocolate01, Cichelle, cocopuff and others if you cannot join this challenge. Just do what is working best for your hair and what you are willing to do for your hair... especially since some of you are transitioning, wearing braids, or found a fitting hair routine. ;)

babyblue

I dont know if i can get away with completely using no products aside from just shampoo and conditioner alone, but i find that the longer i'm natural that i am becoming more and more of a product minimalist so i guess you can say im follow a sort of "low product routine."

Mizani_Mrs

Whoa gurl my hair would be a HOT MESS if i joined in!!! I certainly don't believe that are products out there that promote fast hair GROWTH. (well maybe there are a few if used consistently, but the majority of them dont...) But i do believe there are products out there that aid in hair retention/ health. I am trying to take on a 'low-product' method and not use so much stuff. but i definately need something to soften, condition, and lock-in moisture.

But good luck to you...i hope it works out.

Poohbear

babyblue said:
I dont know if i can get away with completely using no products aside from just shampoo and conditioner alone, but i find that the longer i'm natural that i am becoming more and more of a product minimalist so i guess you can say im follow a sort of "low product routine."
Well, I guess this is what I mean by 'no product routine'... it's a 'low product routine' like you said. Since I have only 1-2 inches of hair all over, I really don't need to apply so many products to my hair. I also want a break from thinking about my hair and just leave it alone. I think this will give me more patience and less stress. ;)

sillygurl18

I'm in. I only use shampoo and conditioners anyway. I don't use any styling products. I think if we say no STYLING products, people would be less confused.

Cinnabuns

I would like to join but may I use grease? Is grease allowed on this program?

I currently only use shampoo and grease on my natural twa and my scalp loves it. I find that right now using conditioner that is so close to my scalp causes it to itch horrible.:nono: So I find that using only grease and shampoo (I use shampoo twice per week) works well for me now...well at least until my hair grows out some. :D

sprungonhairboards

Mizani_Mrs said:
Whoa gurl my hair would be a HOT MESS if i joined in!!! I certainly don't believe that are products out there that promote fast hair GROWTH. (well maybe there are a few if used consistently, but the majority of them dont...) But i do believe there are products out there that aid in hair retention/ health. I am trying to take on a 'low-product' method and not use so much stuff. but i definately need something to soften, condition, and lock-in moisture.

But good luck to you...i hope it works out.

:lol: Who you tellin?

Life without shea butter? I don't think so. But that's all I really use now that I think of it besides a little gel when I slick back my ponytail, (and my MTG) ain't giving that up.

Does MTG count as a product Pooh?

Say no ok? :)

Last edited:

Poohbear

Cinnabuns said:
I would like to join but may I use grease? Is grease allowed on this program?

I currently only use shampoo and grease on my natural twa and my scalp loves it. I find that right now using conditioner that is so close to my scalp causes it to itch horrible.:nono: So I find that using only grease and shampoo (I use shampoo twice per week) works well for me now...well at least until my hair grows out some. :D
Sure. I was using grease before, but I got tired of applying it to my scalp all the time, so I stopped.

Cinnabuns

Poohbear said:
Sure. I was using grease before, but I got tired of applying it to my scalp all the time, so I stopped.

Yeah but I've been a little bit of a grease monkey since I did my big chop :lol:
Okay then I will join, BTW I like this post, what a great challange! :)

mkstar826

supersonic
i've been doing this for a while. i got down to shampoo, conditioner, leave-in & hair butter. now that i'm locing it will be shampoo, carrot oil creme, and gel for retwisting. my hair has always responded better to minimal product use.

TrulyBlessed

mkstar826 said:
i've been doing this for a while. i got down to shampoo, conditioner, leave-in & hair butter. now that i'm locing it will be shampoo, carrot oil creme, and gel for retwisting. my hair has always responded better to minimal product use.

:eek: so that's the big surprise, you're locing! That's great!...I'm a big fan of your hair and helpful fotki tips...what made you decide to loc if i may ask?

TrustMeLove

Im totally in. Ive accidentally been on this challenge anyway. Because I moved back home for the summer and couldn't really take any of my serious products.

Right now, im using Suave Milk and Honey Conditioner (This is the BEST!) almost everyday unless I wear a wrap, and when I want to use a shampoo (CON in the green bottle).

Hot Six Oil to seal in the moisture, crystal ice to slick down my edges it really doesn't lay them down though just the lil baby hair, and glossing polish.

Oh I forgot I also have a wrapping cream for relaxed hair when you wrap your hair up to make it stay. I use this product to keep my fro from flattening out..It keeps the lil spiral naps and stuff together better. Well I think this product is in testing stages.

I have pomenades and sta soft fro stuff..but Im no using that stuff..I work with conditioner and water..and oil to seal it in..and a little glossing polish for shine.
This may not be the no product challenge..but, I think its really close so im going to join.

Haha.

-trust

Belle Du Jour

I'm kind of doing this now. CW a few times a week; use a glycerin spritz daily; use a water based cream to protect my ends.