Any natural Muslims in here?

Serenity K

How do you wear your hair? I'm natural, and my hair stays in a pony tail. There is no point is pressing it, because I will have to make ghusl and mess it up. Natural braids or twists don't stay long enough to justify spending the hours it takes to do it. Sometimes I feel like because I cover my hair,and have to wash it often, it would be a lot easier to be relaxed. But I really don't want to be relaxed, I just want all the styling options. Do you have this problem, and if so how to you manage?

trevprit

As-Salaamu'Alaikum, my replies are in blue.

How do you wear your hair? in cornrows all the time. at one point i tried two-strand twists, but they tangled too badly.
I'm natural, and my hair stays in a pony tail. I am also natural, but that ponytail thing wouldn't work cause my hair is not long enough.
There is no point is pressing it, I press before I braid, because it makes it go faster and there is less tangling and breakage.
because I will have to make ghusl and mess it up.I know the feeling :lachen:
Natural braids or twists don't stay long enough to justify spending the hours it takes to do it. How much practice do you have with cornrows? Do you think more practice might make it go more quickly for you? I do mine every two weeks, and it takes me about an hour to braid it. Or you could do the part from ear to ear and put some cute cornrows in the front with the bun in a back and some kind of pretty hair doo-dad to make the bun a little sassy.

Sometimes I feel like because I cover my hair,and have to wash it often, it would be a lot easier to be relaxed. I am actually considering texlaxing right now because I want to be able to wear a bun and cowash everyday like I did when I was texlaxed some years ago, but I am afraid it might cause breakage, and I will have to cut. (I want to do it because my hair was the longest it's ever been back then)

But I really don't want to be relaxed, I just want all the styling options. Do you have this problem, and if so how to you manage? I hope I answered your questions. Feel free to PM me if you like. As-Salaamu'Alaikum

Muslim sister checking in!!

When I was natural I use to caneroll it. I use to hate it though when you could see the braids in my scarf.

I'm relaxed now and love making ghusl. It has really made my hair healthy and strong. My hair is thriving from it. My hair is in a bun everyday though.

Inaayah

Assalamu Alaikum,

Hey sister queenbee, I was just wondering about what ghusl is and where you can find it. I heard about it from someone a while ago and was interested in asking more about but couldn't get a hold of the sister. Please fill me in. Jazzak'Allahu khayran.

MysteryMe

How do you wear your hair? I'm natural, and my hair stays in a pony tail. There is no point is pressing it, because I will have to make ghusl and mess it up. Natural braids or twists don't stay long enough to justify spending the hours it takes to do it. Sometimes I feel like because I cover my hair,and have to wash it often, it would be a lot easier to be relaxed. But I really don't want to be relaxed, I just want all the styling options. Do you have this problem, and if so how to you manage?

My experience was the opposite from queenbee's. I relaxed about a year ago. I was natural for seven years before that. When I was natural, I wore cornrows most of the time. Sometimes only in the front and a bun or ponytail in the back. I got my hair pressed occassionally. Usually to see growth progress, attending a sister's event or to give DH something different to look at. Try wearing braidouts, twistouts, regular twist or different kinds of buns. You could also bun your braided/twisted hair. Personally, my hair was alot healthier before I relaxed. I can't get the breakage under control and my hair gets very dry. It is somewhat easier making ghusl relaxed, but not worth the trade off to me. Looking back, it wasn't as hard as I thought making ghusl as a natural. With the relaxer, I'm co-washing frequently and wearing braidouts. That is helping a little with keeping my hair moisturized. Overall my hair thrived alot more natural.

There are a couple of other Muslimahs here that are natural, but I can't remember which one. I'll check and PM you.

I was just wondering about what ghusl is
A complete ablution reguired after menses, intercourse, post-partum bleeding, etc.

When I was natural I use to caneroll it. I use to hate it though when you could see the braids in my scarf.
I don't like that either.