Any naturals prefer their hair short?

waffigrl

I have been natural now for 3 years, and anytime my hair gets near 7" I immediately trim it down to 3 inches. I'm still "trying" to grow my hair out, but I always cut it. So I've accepted that I love short hair.

I need inspiration for styling hair around 5-6 inches, any fun hair cuts/shapes.

Thanks!

P.S. This is my first post after lurking for 2 years!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Congrats on coming out of lurkdom! :woot:

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get very many responses to this particular question. :lol:

waffigrl

I know right?
But I need inspiration! So any other lurkers out there with short hair and fly cuts please post!
I have a weave in right now, but its there because I was getting itchy for the scissors again :)

LongLeggedLife

Haaaaayyyyyyle naw!!!
But I did prefer it short when relaxed so I kinda feel you.
I have to have big hair as a natural, maybe bc my head is oblong & I need some type of bang action:laff:

I used to love these looks however....hope the pics post, tryin to do it from the phone...

4932-1.jpg

lauren-hill.jpg

Nonie

waffigrl, I don't know what your hair looks like but if I had your problem, with my type 4 B hair, I could always wear it short if that's the look I like.

This is what my hair looks like when it's just under 3 inches long:

This is what my hair looks like when it's between SL and APL:

And if I wanted it shorter than that^^ all I need do is spritz it and pat it down.

I personally like long hair so I looked forward to leaving the TWA stage. But must admit I do love that cutting it isn't the only option I have to wear it short should I ever want it short. I can call on shrinkage to help me out anytime.

If your hair is type 4, then you really have no reason not to wear it short whenever you want. Wet it and let it airdry loose...even give it a hand with patting if it isn't shrinking enough for your liking, and voilà! You'll have your TWA.

lilyofthenile

Yes I know someone! A relative of mine kept her hair short for about two years. Cut it to a TWA and kept it that way, now she's decided to grow it out.

Nonie

I actually do have 4b hair!

Then step away from the scissors Lady. Plait the hair at night to keep it from tangling, in the AM spritz it, slap some S Curl and comb it, then pat pat pat. There you go, TWA!

ETA I just saw what else you added. I keep mine stretched too in braids. If I don't use anything wet on it, I could get a puff this big:

But if I combed it wet and applied S Curl, it'd shrink to a flat tight puff:

BTW, this^^ shrinkage is because I let it airdry in the puff. And yes, it dries hard if I apply S Curl to wet hair. But once dry I spray S Curl again to get it soft and plait it for the night. Then baggy. In the morning I still get shrinkage but not so much, and my hair is soft:

As long as I use S Curl, I could have my short puff. I didn't pat this^^ one to make it small but it's not huge. So if a short puff was my preference, I could've still got it on my soft fluffy hair by patting.

If you're using for your moisture products that dry up like oils, butters or creams...then your hair will stay stretched and you won't get your TWA. But jheri juice like S Curl not only keeps hair uber soft but also very moisturized and I only need apply it on the day I was my hair. At night I plait it again (no application of S Curl this time) and baggy. In the morning, I can sport another puff. This is my Lisa Simpson puff done on hair that was between SL and APL but it looks TWA-ish, thanks to S Curl activator:

And yes, it's very soft and moist even though I never applied any S Curl that morning. The reason this puff looks shorter than the one before is I didn't let my hair dry some after taking the baggy off before undoing the plaits so shrinkage happened more. So that's another trick you could use.

Last edited:

Nonie

waffigrl I know long hair is work (my mom keeps her hair short coz she loves the way it looks short and it's less work for her) but the bonus in having long hair is you can do few plaits at night so that getting ready for bed and getting ready in the AM is quicker. Plus you have the options of wearing it long and wearing it short. So no scissors please, and no one will get hurt here. :bat:

waffigrl

waffigrl I know long hair is work (my mom keeps her hair short coz she loves the way it looks short and it's less work for her) but the bonus in having long hair is you can do few plaits at night so that getting ready for bed and getting ready in the AM is quicker. Plus you have the options of wearing it long and wearing it short. So no scissors please, and no one will get hurt here. :bat:
Thanks Nonie! Those styles are amazing.

One of my main problems (and why I avoid shrunken styles) is tangles, knots and hell of detangling afterwards. So I can't let it shrink unless I want crazy breakage. Help?

This is like a hair-intervention lol

robot.

Me!

I have cut my hair twice since I've been natural (since 2009). Just got a haircut last week and plan to cut it all off again Friday. :look:

I just can't escape it. It took me a year to get a little past SL so I'm not worried about growing it back, I just love short hair. I loved my hair most when I had like an inch of it. :lol:

Nonie

Thanks Nonie! Those styles are amazing.

One of my main problems (and why I avoid shrunken styles) is tangles, knots and hell of detangling afterwards. So I can't let it shrink unless I want crazy breakage. Help?

This is like a hair-intervention lol

I never have tangles. If you read my posts, you'll find out I'm one person who avoids tangles like my life depends on it, and for that reason I NEVER have to detangle.

If you use S Curl ALONE, and dust regularly so you keep splits at a minimum and you plait your hair every night and comb it every morning, you won't ever have to worry about having work with your hair. I swear when I was wearing my hair out, it took me 10 minutes in the morning to undo plaits and style and ten in the evening to grab a section with fingers, stretch it out and run a comb through it, and plait it.

Because I comb it both in the AM and PM, and then don't bother it all day, my strands stay separated. It looks like a nest if you look at it up close:

But that hair had no tangle in sight. Plaiting it at night was a breeze. I never wear my hair out w/o combing it and I think that makes a difference. I also don't do WNG. The only time I'll wear my hair wet (er...damp) is on wash day coz I have to go to work. Otherwise if I have time, I'll airdry in braids (which is how I wash it when loose) and then when fully dry, apply S Curl to the stretched and fully detangled hair and comb it out. S Curl brings in the shrinkage but shrunken hair that doesn't have tangles and that a comb can go through won't just tangle out of the blue. I think sticky products are part of the reason for tangles.

Also I think a lot of people do not stretch out their hair with one hand before trying to run a comb through it (kinda like I'm doing here). S Curl keeps hair moist so you can do the same on dry S Curled hair at the end of the day then braid it to keep it tangle-free.

waffigrl

Okay I might need to try this S-curl then. I only use Giovanni and castor oil to style my hair. because it hates coconut oil or anything with coconut in it...which makes life very hard ^_^
Is it the No Drip activator?
Thanks!

Nonie

Okay I might need to try this S-curl then. I only use Giovanni and castor oil to style my hair. because it hates coconut oil or anything with coconut in it...which makes life very hard ^_^
Is it the No Drip activator?
Thanks!

@waffigrl, yes, it's the no-drip activator. But I think you first need to attend the church below just in case there are a few tips you need to know. Many people who use S Curl find it not to work and sometimes it's just that they applied to wet hair, or used something else. I only use it alone. Some people find sealing better. But I think you'll get different points of view if you attend the church that we attended here where the sermon about S Curl was preached: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=526649

getoffmylawn

I liked my hair when it was shoulder length b/c it was easier to care for but no one else in my entire family did:sad:
It was similar to these

manter26

I changed the pic right away because I didn't want to post a pic of her friend on a public forum. You must have quoted in the few secs between updating my post.

Nonie

@manter26
Okay I'll just edit my post to remove the quote. but her pic is still showing up in your post....?

waffigrl, I think manter26's point is she doesn't mind the girl's photo showing. Just not her AND HER FRIEND who may not want her photo on a public forum. The girl alone probably doesn't mind. So the pic you quoted is the pic manter26 wanted removed but the one she changed to is fine to stay.

manter26

manter26
Okay I'll just edit my post to remove the quote. but her pic is still showing up in your post....?

Yea, I replaced the pic of her and the friend with a pic of just her. It's her public blog and she's also on YT so I figure she won't mind but idk about the friend.

ETA: Nonie's on top of things as usual. :giggle:

RegaLady

I have always prefered short hair to long, but not natural short hair. I will say, with all the cute short natural cuts that I am seeing, if longer natural hair won't compliment me after I grow it out, I will do the chop chop.