Anyone taking vitamins or supplements for your hair?

Anyone taking vitams or supplements for your hair?

• Yes, religiously!

Votes: 232 60.1%
  • Yes, when I remember

Votes: 134 34.7%
  • No, they don't seem to work

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • No, they cost too much

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • No, I don't need to

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TLC1020

Biotin 5000mcg
Iron supplements

My hair was shedding something fierce when my iron (ferritin) levels were extremely low. :nono: I could not understand what was going on. I thought it was something I was doing externally until I just sat and thought to myself what the heck was I doing. Saw a dermatologist in 2009 and was diagnosed at that time... Now everything is back in order :grin:

I big chopped in March 2010 to start with a head of healthy hair .. on the road to recovery :yep:

mbule

I just started taking my vitamins again in general- and I don't care so much for hair as for health. I drink a glass of V8 juice/day - tropical flavor cuz I'm not a glutton for punishment. I take 1-2 TBs. of Liquid vitamin from Costco- easy absorption. I take one when I also take my prenatal- an all natural brand. I take a triple omega 2/day. I also do Antioxidant treatments like the liquid acai from costco for a month every season. I think next year after I fast and complete my retreat I'll be including it more often. And I have a B stress complex from pathmark that I take every other day or when i feel i need it because i feel a difference within a hour of taking it. I'm really careful with that one because it seems to be so potent.

I'm trying to increase my water intake. I'm a very bad girl when it comes to water.
Hoping to stick to my regimen and incorporate more as the year progresses.

Jewell

I take some sort of vitamin for hair or body each day. Currently:

HSN Vits. (have 2 brands/kinds...alternate and take 1/day).
Super B-Complex (1/day)
Calcium w/Vit. D (600 mg/day)
Ginseng (250 mg tab 1/day to every other day)
Fish Oil (Omega 3, 6, 9 wit EPA & DHA)
MSM (1000 mg capsule, 1/day)
DE (when I remember, 1 heaping tsp mixed into juice)
Garlic (1,000 mg softgels)
Vitamin C (500 mg chewable, 2/day)

Thinking of beginning regi adding these soon: COQ 10 (for heart/circulation), L-Arginine (for blood due to anemia), Mag, Zinc, Copper supp., Collagen (skin, connective tissue health), Glucosamine (smetimes I buy this combined with MSM, but dont always take it), Shen Min, and Acai Berry (for general health/antioxidants). I have to take lots of vits to stay healthy...

IDK if this has any effect on hair growth, but I also take a "relaxation/sleep vitamin" with valerian root, cat nip, passion flower, celery seed, hops, and dried orange peel in it. Was skeptical that it would actually relax me, but it works...hope it helps with hair as well! lol on a mission here!

Last edited:

Smiley79

I don't know why almost every hair vitamin I tried gave me really bad headaches. I would love to add a vitamin to my diet but I cannot handle the headaches. I tried Bioton, Spirulina, Hair and Nails Vitamin from the Dollar General, and something else I don't remember and they all made me feel crappy. Are B12 vitamins good? I don't know what else to try.

Shelew

I have been taking nioxin for last 21/2 months. It has been great for me. For first two months was taking one a day. It went so well thought I would double up one in morning one at night and see what I get. I was stuck at SL but I have progressed on to grazing APL. Don't know if it would have grown to that without nioxin but it sure had been stuck for 10 or so months right at SL prior.

sunnieb

I've been taking GNC Hair, Skin and Nails since February of this year. My newgrowth is much softer and more dense. I take it daily with my multivitamin.

ylinspired

I started hairfinity. I was taking biotin for a while until i found out it was causing my face to breakout. The pharmacist told to me to stop until my face clear up then restart. I don't break out as much. I also wash my face with black soap + drink 64oz of H2O and now my face is really smooth.

MarkisaDoll

That sounds like really great progress! Have you commented on the Nixon OD=2 inches thread? If not, you should! Some ladies are getting discouraged, it'll be great to hear from ya :)

LaidBak

Currently taking Silica, Chlorella, and MSM specifically for hair. Taking a multi and fish oil for overall health, but I'm sure it benefits my hair as well.

hothair

Takin Nioxin, Biosil, chlorella and spirulina, Vit C and flaxseed oil. Wonderful. My hair's very full (for me) and growing now crossing fingers for BSL by Dec:yep:

hothair

I don't know why almost every hair vitamin I tried gave me really bad headaches. I would love to add a vitamin to my diet but I cannot handle the headaches. I tried Bioton, Spirulina, Hair and Nails Vitamin from the Dollar General, and something else I don't remember and they all made me feel crappy. Are B12 vitamins good? I don't know what else to try.

Up your water intake you should be drinking 1.5ltr of water when taking a lot of supplements.

I take Spring Valley Prenatal multimineral/multivitamin before, during, and after pregnancy supplement from Wal mart. I take only this supplement and it works well.:yep:

RedVelvet310

I only take two things... BioSil and Omega supplements twice a day :yes: ... my next touch up I guess I'll see the results my next touch up (in December). I cut my hair into a Rihanna length inverted bob O_O, so I'll be happy with ANY growth! :lol:

sharifeh

take a calcium/magnesium supplement to combat headaches also drink lots of water

AryaStarr258

I take Biotin and MSM regularly. I just ordered Folic Acid, Vitamin D, and Iron supplements, so I hope these will help as well.

lilyofthenile

I've just started taking saw palmetto today.
But I take three tablespoons of hemp oil a day too.
I may start multivitamins at some point as well.

HarySituation

I have been taking Hairfinity religiously since I think around January. Although I've never had a problem with hair growth, my hair has really skyrocketed. I also take prenatal, msm, biotin(2500), ginko boloba(for my horrible memory), and just ran out of garlic and fish oil pills (wont repurchase). My hair is really flourishing! :grin: (everywhere :perplexed)

candy626

Recently been taking Twin Lab's Women's Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamins 2-3 times a day. I definitely notice a difference with my nails, they are rock hard. I havent't flat ironed my hair recently so unsure as to how it has affected my growth.

I also plan on using a whey protein powder daily, which contains L-Cysteine, L-Methionine, and some other stuff that's supposed to be good for growth. Hopefully it will pay off and I will hit full BSL by February 2012 :yep:

xu93texas

I take my vitamins every day. I'm currently taking MSM, biotin, garlic, omega 3 fish oil, iron, (calcium, magnesium, zinc, vit.d combo), and a prenatal vitamin. My nails are growing like crazy!! My hair is also growing despite a recent surge of post partum hair shedding.

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
I take liquid silica, MSM and prescription strength pre-natals everyday. Going to the bathroom (#2) is a nightmare (I think it's the iron in the pre-natals), but my skin is flawless (one pimple in three months) and my hair is growing!

Jewell

Update: All I will say is that I take a whole lot of ish for my hair and body (and have for the past 6-7 yrs). No negative effects. 'Tis all.

Luxlii

I take:
A chewy multivitamin
Fish Oil
Garlic Oil
Niacin
DE
Reservatrol

I try to drink around a gallon of water and drink green tea each day.

Aggie

Recently I've been taking Nature's Way Horsetail Grass silica and it works very well for my joints and nails and I believe my hair as well. I am switching to Now Vitamins Silica because of all the great reviews on www.iherb.com. My new multi-vitamin is Nature's Way ALIVE! Once Daily for women. It has whole foods and enzymes in it.

I am adding Jarrow Formulas biotin (5000mcg), Methyl B-12 - 5000mcg, Neocell Collagen (type 1&3), Twinlab Maxilife Collagen (type II) and Now Vitamins Hyaluronic Acid (100mg).

For the first time in my life I will trying out super green foods like maca root powder, chlorella, spirulina, barley grass, wheat grass, kelp and a few others in smoothies and eagerly looking forward to the results.