Anyone Tried These Two Combinations To Help With Dry/brittle Hair?

trueheartofgold

@trueheartofgold your hair looks shiny and hydrated to me. This is my hair this morning after cleansing, I haven't conditioned or tried to detangle yet. I'll switch with you, lol!

KiWiStyle, let's set up a time and place (joking)...lol..or am I? Lol...

Thank you. That's because I moisturized it about 2 hours prior. It will be dry like hay by the end of the day (still feeling myself with the rhyming)...Tomorrow morning: matted and dry like straw, brillo and hay had a baby :rofl:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hi gorgeoushair. My regimen is as follows:

****Weekly:

Spray my hair with water and add Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and detangle. My hair gets really tangled so I detangle before shampooing.
Shampoo: Design Essentials Naturals
Deep Condition: Silk Elements Megasilk
Leave-In: Camille Rose Curl Love Moisture Milk (Used it for the first time this past Sunday)
Oil: Grapeseed
Cream: Camille Rose Curlaide Moisture Butter (Used it for the first time this past Sunday)

Air dry in twists. By the time my hair is mid way dry, its already hard and crunchy. When it's fully dry, it is rock hard and very very crunchy.

****Daily:

Moisturize and style (bun only). I switch the positions. Its mainly low. I cannot style my hair any other way because of the problem I'm having with dryness and retaining moisture.

Moisturizers: Talijah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (Spray)
Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk
Oil: Grapseed
By the end of the day, my hair is dry like hay (rhyme time lol).:bouncy:This happens no matter what products I use.

Does anyone want to switch? LOL...:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Ok. Are you applying all these things to your hair and daily? It looks like you are applying 8 products after you cleanse! You should try just cleansing, DC (with no silicones at all, no shea butter, or coconut oil in the first 5 ingredients). A leave in with those same properties like kinky curly knot today and then your twisting butter. You shouldn't have to reapply products until to you cleanse again. It sounds like your hair has buildup and can't. Water is evaporating quickly because it's only surface deep, the inside of your strands are probably parched.

Last edited:

SuchaLady

Honestly, your hair might not be as moist as it could be right now but I think you're trying to get your natural hair to feel like your moisturized relaxed hair. They ain't the same.

trueheartofgold

Ok. Are you applying all these things to your hair and daily? It looks like you are applying 8 products after you cleanse! You should try just cleansing, DC (with no silicones at all, no shea butter, or coconut oil in the first 5 ingredients). A leaving with those same properties like kinky curly knot today and then your twisting butter. You shouldn't have to reapply products until to you cleanse again. It sounds like your hair has buildup and can't. Water is evaporating quickly because it's only surface deep, the inside of your strands are probably parched.

I do the LOC method after I rinse the deep conditioner out. I tried doing leave in only...and you know already ***dry**** lol...

Also, I moisturize daily with the spray and milk.

trueheartofgold

Honestly, your hair might not be as moist as it could be right now but I think you're trying to get your natural hair to feel like your moisturized relaxed hair. They ain't the same.

SuchaLady, I knew posting those pics would make people think something is wrong with me. I contemplated not posting them. I should have posted the before pics. They would justify the issue 1 million percent. I don't have any relaxed hair (last relaxer was 9 years ago). I took the pic 2 hours after I moisturized my hair. Once its dry all of it (new growth and heat damaged hair) will be hard and crunchy. Trust me, I'm not making this up. I've lost a lot of hair, spent a lot of money and all I'm trying to do is get to the bottom of the issue so it does not continue.

SuchaLady

SuchaLady, I knew posting those pics would make people think something is wrong with me. I contemplated not posting them. I should have posted the before pics. They would justify the issue 1 million percent. I don't have any relaxed hair (last relaxer was 9 years ago). I took the pic 2 hours after I moisturized my hair. Once its dry all of it (new growth and heat damaged hair) will be hard and crunchy. Trust me, I'm not making this up. I've lost a lot of hair, spent a lot of money and all I'm trying to do is get to the bottom of the issue so it does not continue.

Wait. I don't think something is wrong with you. I was in your last thread with recommendations :lol:

If it's nothing internal, youve used multiple quality product recommendations, and techniques that keep moisture in your hair it's not many options left that cause your hair to feel this way. If it's as severe as you say, either your hair is irreparably damaged (but you said it's on the ends only right?) or a water issue. Do you have a filter? Where do you live?

I mentioned the relax moisture vs natural moisture thing because when I didn't relax I spent a long time trying to make my hair feel like my processed hair. I wasted lots of energy because my hair wasn't dry. That's just how it felt and I wasn't used to it.

trueheartofgold

Wait. I don't think something is wrong with you. I was in your last thread with recommendations :lol:

If it's nothing internal, youve used multiple quality product recommendations, and techniques that keep moisture in your hair it's not many options left that cause your hair to feel this way. If it's as severe as you say, either your hair is irreparably damaged (but you said it's on the ends only right?) or a water issue. Do you have a filter? Where do you live?

I mentioned the relax moisture vs natural moisture thing because when I didn't relax I spent a long time trying to make my hair feel like my processed hair. I wasted lots of energy because my hair wasn't dry. That's just how it felt and I wasn't used to it.

Thanks for replying. Its all my hair (new growth and heat damaged). Irreparably damaged meaning the new growth will continue to do the same thing? :cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3:

I live in NYC. Supposedly quality "soft" water. I don't have a filter.

Want to switch? LOL...

beingofserenity

There is someone who recently posted about hair issues (dryness and tangles) until she went water only. Now she only uses an acv mixture to wash her scalp and sprays her hair with water/glycerin moisture. She said that her hair didn't like the typical ingredients in shampoos and conditioners. I think maybe you need to go back to the very basics, eliminate everything and maybe introduce a product one-by-one to see what your hair likes or dislikes.

Maybe you can gently clarify with acv or a clay mixture and then do water rinses for now. Maybe moisturize with water/glycerin if your hair likes glycerin, or water/oil or butters if your hair prefers oil or something heavier.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I do the LOC method after I rinse the deep conditioner out. I tried doing leave in only...and you know already ***dry**** lol...

Also, I moisturize daily with the spray and milk.

Once you remove all the buildup off your hair, it'll take more than one day to see a difference, it could take weeks. You'll need to stay consistent to see results. I know how frustrating it can be to struggle with my hair but Rome wasn't built in a day. If your hair is fine that could be why your products build up so easily, even on the course's of strands, that's too many products and too often.

trueheartofgold

Once you remove all the buildup off your hair, it'll take more than one day to see a difference, it could take weeks. You'll need to stay consistent to see results. I know how frustrating it can be to struggle with my hair but Rome wasn't built in a day. If your hair is fine that could be why your products build up so easily, even on the course's of strands, that's too many products and too often.

I'll go back to just using a leave in. I'll also use one moisturizer. The only reason why I use multiple is because of the issue. But I see what you're saying and it makes sense. I don't have a Sally's near me and had to order the Ion Shampoo (got rid of it). Is there something else you would recommend to remove all the buildup?

Also, do you think I should change my products or continue using them? Should I get the steamer I mentioned? Thank you so much for being patient and answering. It means a lot to me.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'll go back to just using a leave in. I'll also use one moisturizer. The only reason why I use multiple is because of the issue. But I see what you're saying and it makes sense. I don't have a Sally's near me and had to order the Ion Shampoo (got rid of it). Is there something else you would recommend to remove all the buildup?

Also, do you think I should change my products or continue using them? Should I get the steamer I mentioned? Thank you so much for being patient and answering. It means a lot to me.

No need to thank me, I've been there and done that so I know the frustrations you're experiencing.

You may already have good shampoo in your stash, can you name all the ones you have? Also hold off on the steamer, you should be fine using a hooded dryer if you have one. A plastic processing cap works great with just your body heat too. I usually put a scarf on top for added heat.

trueheartofgold

No need to thank me, I've been there and done that so I know the frustrations you're experiencing.

You may already have good shampoo in your stash, can you name all the ones you have? Also hold off on the steamer, you should be fine using a hooded dryer if you have one. A plastic processing cap works great with just your body heat too. I usually put a scarf on top for added heat.

I currently have Design Essentials Naturals Moisturizing Shampoo and The Mane Choice Shampoo. Still haven't found a good clarifying shampoo (they tend to strip and tangle my hair very bad). I have a soft bonnet dryer I use for deep conditioning so I will continue to use it. Thank you.

Evolving78

KiWiStyle, let's set up a time and place (joking)...lol..or am I? Lol...

Thank you. That's because I moisturized it about 2 hours prior. It will be dry like hay by the end of the day (still feeling myself with the rhyming)...Tomorrow morning: matted and dry like straw, brillo and hay had a baby :rofl:
Sounds like protein overload. Check all of the ingredients of the products you are using.

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
I think you're the only one whose hair has ever sounded like mines. I was literally reading my past hair experiences as I read your post. Extreme tangling, dryness no matter what that was horrible horrible horrible. It was so bad it didn't feel like hair. I couldn't even flat iron it because it was too dry to stretch. Like it was the highest porosity, but it hated all of the things high porosity heads love. Butters. Penetrating oils. Any moisturizer/conditioner=bust. And it seemed to just "grow out" like that. The new growth was the roughest/most matted part, so it couldnt have been damage either...

I think we have the same hair porosity (your texture is very loose compared to mine though). I call it super-low-porosity, or product-allergic hair lol! I state what got my hair to be succulent and moisturized in my thread "Finally Found What Works For My Low Porosity Hair." I hope it gives you some ideas (you seem just like me! its so weird) Also, are you using a wide tooth comb to detangle or a brush?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I currently have Design Essentials Naturals Moisturizing Shampoo and The Mane Choice Shampoo. Still haven't found a good clarifying shampoo (they tend to strip and tangle my hair very bad). I have a soft bonnet dryer I use for deep conditioning so I will continue to use it. Thank you.

Clarifying shampoos are suppose to strip all the products away but I get what you're saying. The only clarifying shampoo I've used that didn't kill my hair is Malibu C un doo goo. It's a professional line but they sell to the general public online. People love kinky curly come clean but it was a bit much for my hair.

Do you keep your hair separated and twisted during your cleansing and conditioning process? If you're experience tangles that bad you should wash and DC in sections...wash a section and twist, keep doing that until you've finished. Same thing with DC and styling. It's tedious and takes longer but maybe it'll help until you fix the problem.

trueheartofgold

Clarifying shampoos are suppose to strip all the products away but I get what you're saying. The only clarifying shampoo I've used that didn't kill my hair is Malibu C un doo goo. It's a professional line but they sell to the general public online. People love kinky curly come clean but it was a bit much for my hair.

Do you keep your hair separated and twisted during your cleansing and conditioning process? If you're experience tangles that bad you should wash and DC in sections...wash a section and twist, keep doing that until you've finished. Same thing with DC and styling. It's tedious and takes longer but maybe it'll help until you fix the problem.

Hi KiWiStyle,

I don't shampoo with my hair in twists. I separate in four sections, twist and then take down each one to shampoo. I deep condition in twists. I'm going to try kinky curly come clean even though I've seen mixed reviews. I don't want to buy the Malibu online and then pay for shipping, etc. and it doesn't work.

I will also keep my regimen very simple: Detangle prior to washing (the 30 day hair detox people said pre pooing with oils are pointless----I agree to some degree), Shampoo, Deep Condition, Leave-In. I'm still on the fence as far as if I should add any cream or milk to my hair after the leave in. Seal with grapeseed oil.

Fingers crossed I will retain moisture and not have to moisturize everyday throughout the week.

Thank you for being so helpful!

nerdography

Are you applying product to you hair while it's still wet/damp?

I had the same problem as you. I would detangle before getting in the shower, detangle while in the shower, detangle after getting out the shower, and detangle again while putting in product. After a lot of trial and error I figure out that if I applied product to my hair when it was still wet/damp the product would evaporate from my hair as it air dried. And then my hair would mat because all the moisture evaporated.

After I was my hair now, I keep it wrapped in a towel for 10 minutes, then let it air for 10 minutes and then I add my product. And that fixed the moisture and matting issues for me.

ETA// Also try Redken's One United. It's a little pricey, but it makes detangling easier.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hi KiWiStyle,

I don't shampoo with my hair in twists. I separate in four sections, twist and then take down each one to shampoo. I deep condition in twists. I'm going to try kinky curly come clean even though I've seen mixed reviews. I don't want to buy the Malibu online and then pay for shipping, etc. and it doesn't work.

I will also keep my regimen very simple: Detangle prior to washing (the 30 day hair detox people said pre pooing with oils are pointless----I agree to some degree), Shampoo, Deep Condition, Leave-In. I'm still on the fence as far as if I should add any cream or milk to my hair after the leave in. Seal with grapeseed oil.

Fingers crossed I will retain moisture and not have to moisturize everyday throughout the week.

Thank you for being so helpful!
Hi! Yes that's what I meant, twisting your hair as you go to keep it detangled.

Leave-in's aren't necessary though I have to use it for the slip to detangle again before I style. You will need a styling product after your leave-in. How do you style your hair? If you twist or braid your hair, you can use a holding cream, a butter or foam. A gel and/cream if you're doing a wash n go. The products you use will depend on your hair and what type of hold you desire. I would hold off on the oil until you get your hydration levels up, your leav-in and/or your styling cream or butter seals in the moisture. Less is more.

trueheartofgold

Hi! Yes that's what I meant, twisting your hair as you go to keep it detangled.

Leave-in's aren't necessary though I have to use it for the slip to detangle again before I style. You will need a styling product after your leave-in. How do you style your hair? If you twist or braid your hair, you can use a holding cream, a butter or foam. A gel and/cream if you're doing a wash n go. The products you use will depend on your hair and what type of hold you desire. I would hold off on the oil until you get your hydration levels up, your leav-in and/or your styling cream or butter seals in the moisture. Less is more.

I only do buns due to the dryness issue and my hair just being so difficult to manage. I used Camille Rose Curl Milk and Curlaide Butter last wash day. I air dry in twists and bun the next day and for the whole week until next wash day. I take down the bun everyday when I get home.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I only do buns due to the dryness issue and my hair just being so difficult to manage. I used Camille Rose Curl Milk and Curlaide Butter last wash day. I air dry in twists and bun the next day and for the whole week until next wash day. I take down the bun everyday when I get home.
I would only use one...the curl milk is a good choice. The Curlaide has coconut oil and shea butter high on the ingredient list, which tend to cause heavy build up and block moisture.

trueheartofgold

I would only use one...the curl milk is a good choice. The Curlaide has coconut oil and shea butter high on the ingredient list, which tend to cause heavy build up and block moisture.

Thank you! So just use the Curl milk after rinsing out my deep conditioner, twist and air dry? Don't seal with any oil?

Last edited:

trueheartofgold

You can use a leave in if you want but make sure the first ingredient is water and shea, coconut and castor oils are not in the first 5 ingredients. What leave-in's do you have?

I was going to use the Curl Milk as my leave in. What do you think about the Curl Milk as my leave in and then the Almond Jai Butter (very little and is one of the ingredients listed for 30 day hair detox) on top? No oil.

sgold04

I was lazy one day and decided to use my DC as a cream in my L.O.C. method, maaaaan let me tell you! My twist outs are lush and my hair is well moisturized.

L= kinky curly knot today
O= evoo+CO
C=Shea Moisture deep treatment masque
C2=Camille Rose curly pudding

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I was going to use the Curl Milk as my leave in. What do you think about the Curl Milk as my leave in and then the Almond Jai Butter (very little and is one of the ingredients listed for 30 day hair detox) on top? No oil.

Try it out and see how you like it, I think it'll be fine.
Like @shortdub78 says and you agreed, take a break from products with protein in them.
Also, as long as water is the first ingredient and Shea butter, coconut and castor oils aren't in the first five ingredients.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
@trueheartofgold
I am allergic to Coconut oil. It makes my hair HARD! I didn't even realize it was the hardness culprit until I stopped using it because I developed a rash on my neck. I try to stay away from anything that has it in the list although that is a chore because it is one of the go to oils and its in everything! Perhaps there is an ingredient is what you are using which is causing the hardness.

nymane

How's your diet? Perhaps vitamins like Biotin, MSM, Omega 3's could help to produce moisturized & strong new growth from the inside out. Of course, this wouldn't affect the existing dry hair that you're battling with...good luck