Apl Challenge 2017

Evolving78

I revisited my pumpkin oil I had. I added a scent to it, to get rid of that pumpkin seed smell. Anyway, its fatty enough to give my hair what it needs, and since it's straight, my hair is able to receive it better. I will just use the grapeseed oil on my face and body. It's too drying for my hair.
I pin curled my hair Sunday night, but didn't take the pins out until now. It was so hot yesterday for some reason, so I was perspiring in my scalp. That dried my hair out some. I had to remoisturize my curls. I think I will be able to make pin curls work for me. My hair is weighed down now, but it still looks decent.

Carrie A

IMG_0700.JPG Is it too late for me to join this challenge? I've been growing my hair out from a short cut again, but I need accountability.I have a "Diva cut" so I'm going by the front of my hair. I'd like to see if it could get to APL by the end of the year. I'm growing out some color and on the fence about whether to try it again or not.

Last edited:

faithVA

View attachment 394857 Is it too late for me to join this challenge? I've been growing my hair out from a short cut again, but I need accountability.I have a "Diva cut" so I'm going by the front of my hair. I'd like to see if it could get to APL by the end of the year. I'm growing out some color and on the fence about whether to try it again or not.
You are not too late. You are right on time. Our first update is this month. Go ahead and post your details. Happy growing.

Carrie A

I got really slack with hair care. Too much time in off topics. Since I have extremely low porosity hair I realize I need ultra moisture. I don't think I could ever get soggy hair. Last time around my hair grew fast but the ends were looking raggity. I made it to the small of my back but there was a lot of damage from hair ties (to my buns) and just not putting any moisturizer on it between washes. I was really good the first three years after my big chop but then not so much. Then I felt that color would get me a boost so I had several processes going lighter each time until- my hair looked busted. I think I just wanted an excuse to cut it. So I took some regla scissors and cut it off.

It's grown well and now my goal is to keep the hair moisturized as much as possible. I bought a bunch a stuff that's been out forever but is new to me- like Camille Rose, conditioner and Curls line, and Carol's daughter hair milk.
I also have Komaza cares leave in spray and some Darcy botanical stuff. When my hair is in a bun I make sure to spritz the ends followed by some kind of moisturizer. I keep the end away from the ponytail holder. Now I'm deep conditioning every week. For shame I know.

I'm going to keep the deva shape because it's nice when I wear my hair out. I haven't used any heat since I bog chopped in Feb of 2016. I'm trimming the rest of the colored damaged ends slowly but I like the way the color looks.

Carrie A

oh and ETA

New things I am trying.

1. Scalp oil massage once a week.
2. On my bun days in addition to moisturizing, i've been sealing with castor oil. Not just on the ends but on the bulk of my hair.
3. Actually using the steamer with my deep conditioning.

My hair the second time around is thicker than my first chop. I think I lost a lot of hair from breakage.

Last edited:

IslandMummy

Pulled my big cornrows out today so I could wash my hair. I could actually wear it in a style if I wanted to.

View attachment 394903

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
April LC on blowdried hair.

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

I think if I flat ironed I would be grazing APL. I won't be flat ironing till end of year though.

Bleh. I feel stuck. Granted I did trim AGAIN two weeks ago after that lady at the salon tore my ends up. I took off at least an 3/4 of an inch. Hopefully by July I will reach APL. ALl I need is two inches....why can't I just get two inches!?!?!?!!

This SL - APL purgatory is the pits. I dont think I will feel like I have long hair until I am past APL.

Attachments

• IMG_6360.JPG
    IMG_6360.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 33

faithVA

View attachment 395191

View attachment 395195

I think if I flat ironed I would be grazing APL. I won't be flat ironing till end of year though.

Bleh. I feel stuck. Granted I did trim AGAIN two weeks ago after that lady at the salon tore my ends up. I took off at least an 3/4 of an inch. Hopefully by July I will reach APL. ALl I need is two inches....why can't I just get two inches!?!?!?!!

This SL - APL purgatory is the pits. I dont think I will feel like I have long hair until I am past APL.
Thanks for the length check.

The front is definitely there if it were straight. I think the back will be there in July as you are expecting. By the time you straighten at the end of the year you should be full APL all over.

I think I'm going to need WL hair before I feel like I have any length because my shrinkage is off the chain.

SAPNK

My hair has been out consistently for a while. I know it's not good, but I think it's a weird time to reinstall my twists, and I don't have any other protective styling options that work for me.
Last night I stretched the hair at the back to my collarbone, and it looks like it almost reaches my armpit. I know that wouldn't be full apl because the back belongs in the back, lol, but I find it so strange because my hair still doesn't seem that long to me, even if shrinkage wasn't a thing.

I took a pic. I need to look at it again to make sure I'm not crazy.

Evolving78

View attachment 395191

View attachment 395195

You will be there by June!

GGsKin

I pulled out my APB UCS today and mixed some with garlic paste. I heated in a water bath and applied to my scalp and ends (don't really need garlic on my ends but I wanted to condition them too). It's all wrapped in cling film, a hot towel, foil, a bag, and scarf. Sitting for and hr. I'll rinse and clay.

faithVA

I'm planning to flat iron sometime this weekend so I've started my wash process.

I shampooed with KeraCare Thermal shampoo. I wanted the hydrating shampoo but Sally's had sold out :lol: I think I like it better than the Cream of Nature so I will swap them and put the CON in the giveaway box.

I'm doing a protein treatment with Komaza. I used more than I usually do and tried to get my ends really well. I swear I have had this bottle forever. I don't think I have enough to do my whole head again so I think in the future I will do my ends and hope that helps.

Now I'm sitting under the dryer for probably 45 minutes to an hour. I will use the TGIN Deep Conditioner. I would love to do an overnight DC but I don't have that kind of time. I need my hair to be dry in the morning so I can get things done. If my schedule permits I will flat iron in the morning. I would love to flat iron tonight but I have a feeling that by 11, it will be lights out.

Carrie A

Hi, Checking in.
I was very good this week. Last weekend I did a twist out with Camille Rose products. That stayed moisturized. On Monday, I spritzed with Komaza Care Califa something (great product!) and sealed with Coconut Cupuacu pomade. That stuff by Darcy's Botanicals is amazing. I almost gave it away because I thought it was for laying down edges, but man is it an amazing moisturizing sealant. I wore my hair in a bun until Friday and I didn't need to add product....., however just for good measure I did a quick water spritz plus a dab of DB coconut aloe moisture pudding on the ends + castor oil).

Today I did a wash, deep condition under steam, and go. I'll wear it until Sunday then back to the bun.

I'm having fun with all of these delicious smelling products.

GGsKin

Doing an impromptu DC tonight on dirty hair. Layering Mielle Organics B&M, APB UCS, and JBCO on roots and ends. Hair is in 10 twists, knotted and wrapped in cling film.

Evolving78

What was the trick?
I didn't want it super curly. I wanted a feathered look, so I pinned bigger sections. I applied my cream leave-in and serum lightly (focusing on my ends) and used my Jumbo rake to comb through. I rolled the hair like I was using a roller, then I pinned the base down. I used two pronged clips (duck) to secure.

I tied my scarf going from the back of my head to the front, and tied it going forward in the front. I didn't tie it tight either. I woke up the next day, and my hair came out great, easy to comb, with little effort! The curls weren't smashed down, too tight, No creases/lines or the tail not curling right.

Attachments

• IMG_7971.JPG
    IMG_7971.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7972.JPG
    IMG_7972.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 51

faithVA

I didn't want it super curly. I wanted a feathered look, so I pinned bigger sections. I applied my cream leave-in and serum lightly (focusing on my ends) and used my Jumbo rake to comb through. I rolled the hair like I was using a roller, then I pinned the base down. I used two pronged clips (duck) to secure.

I tied my scarf going from the back of my head to the front, and tied it going forward in the front. I didn't tie it tight either. I woke up the next day, and my hair came out great, easy to comb, with little effort! The curls weren't smashed down, too tight, No creases/lines or the tail not curling right.
They even look like they are going to turn out fabulous.